Thread: Dash 12V Power

Spyder Garage

Default Dash 12V Power

I am planning on installing 12V/USB outlet in dash area on my 2016 RTL.
    There are many options out there but can’t make up my mind which direction to go. Any comments would be appreciated and also where is the best place to get power from preferably switched.
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

One very easy option is in the speaker grills. They pop out easy, can be drilled easy, and running the wire down to the fuse box is also pretty easy. Personally, I did a dual USB on one side, and a 12V plug outlet on the other. Pop the grills out and check where you'll have the most clearance for the outlets. Plan before drilling....certainly not hard, but on my first Spyder I was in toward the handle bar too far and caught the edge of the handlebar shroud.......DOH!!!! You'll see what I mean if you choose this option and pop the grills out.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamonster’s Garage, TricLED and Pitbull Powersports all sell handlebar mounting options.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    One very easy option is in the speaker grills. They pop out easy, can be drilled easy, and running the wire down to the fuse box is also pretty easy. Personally, I did a dual USB on one side, and a 12V plug outlet on the other. Pop the grills out and check where you'll have the most clearance for the outlets. Plan before drilling....certainly not hard, but on my first Spyder I was in toward the handle bar too far and caught the edge of the handlebar shroud.......DOH!!!! You'll see what I mean if you choose this option and pop the grills out.
    Interesting option. How do the grilles come out?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for suggestion

I am going to do this. Would you share where you wired to.
    Thank you
    Fox Front Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Chrome Side Wind Deflectors
    Chrome Handlebar End Caps
    Spyder Flap
    Ultimate Seat/Backrest
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Powerlet 12V Outlet
    Techmount Techgripper / Value Accessories Handlebar Ram Mount
    Perma Grin

Spyder Garage

The plastic grills just pop out. There are several tabs that click in, in various spots. The grills are flexible enough to just give them a bit of a bend and they pop out one tab at a time. When I wired mine, I just used a stiff piece of wire to fish down to the frunk. Ya gotta kinda aim down under the headlights and fish it through the nooks n crannies but eventually it'll get there. You can bring the wire to the back of the fuse box in the frunk, and then go to a slot that's only hot when the key is on. Check the manual of course to see which is which....I think it's #7 and #8 that you can choose from. Be sure to put a fuse in line too, just to be on the safe side. Consider what you'll be using the outlets for, and fuse it accordingly by amps. Be sure to find a good ground as well. As with anything on the Spyder...patience is a virtue!!!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Where'd you get that adapter ?

Spyder Garage

Default Powerlet

Quote Originally Posted by mcan1x View Post
    Where'd you get that adapter ?
    After researching I decided to use the powerlet low profile outlet and USB adaptor.
    They are designed for the power sport industry and come standard on many brands of motorcycles.
    ‘Thank you for all the input
    Fox Front Shocks
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Chrome Side Wind Deflectors
    Chrome Handlebar End Caps
    Spyder Flap
    Ultimate Seat/Backrest
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Powerlet 12V Outlet
    Techmount Techgripper / Value Accessories Handlebar Ram Mount
    Perma Grin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The plastic grills just pop out. There are several tabs that click in, in various spots. The grills are flexible enough to just give them a bit of a bend and they pop out one tab at a time. When I wired mine, I just used a stiff piece of wire to fish down to the frunk. Ya gotta kinda aim down under the headlights and fish it through the nooks n crannies but eventually it'll get there. You can bring the wire to the back of the fuse box in the frunk, and then go to a slot that's only hot when the key is on. Check the manual of course to see which is which....I think it's #7 and #8 that you can choose from. Be sure to put a fuse in line too, just to be on the safe side. Consider what you'll be using the outlets for, and fuse it accordingly by amps. Be sure to find a good ground as well. As with anything on the Spyder...patience is a virtue!!!!
    Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Grills

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Interesting option. How do the grilles come out?
    Small screwdriver, pry the edge of the grill and it will come out fairly easy. That's where I put my dual USB.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Another option...

Is to use the gauge replacement modules from a sponsor on this site - I forgot who. If you pop out the gauges, that info will appear on the LCD screen automatically. I put a cigarette socket on one side and a dual USB on the other. They are round aluminum super high quality pieces. I also installed the mounting bar kit (1" bals) from I think Lamonster.com - it is $55 or so and looks great on the dash, under the windshield. I have a go pro and a GPS on it. I have an RT-S, no built in GPS. Looks great, all the power outlets are right there on the dash.

Steve