Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Earthquake in Alaska

AKSpyderMan, is everything OK with you and yours?

Also praying for all in possible tsunami path!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's all hope that the damage is minimal, and there are no injuries.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Tsunami warnings have been cancelled!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Lived with them all my life it would seem in two continents and it is the one disaster you can not prepare for.....Thinking of AKspyderman and hope all is as good as can be. 's the all that were affected are safe....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The bottom line: We are safe here. I was communicating with BlueKnight last night shortly after the quake happened.

Here is what I said:

We just had an 8.0 magnitude earthquake here (12:40 AM). Everything on the walls was shaking and a couple pictures fell down. No other damage that I see at the moment. It started as a slow roll and then gradually intensified. Kodiak Island was the epicenter. About 231 miles away.

Update: Fortunately the quake was about 50 miles out in the inlet from Kodiak. No major damage anywhere according to the news so far. Had that happened a bit nearer to Anchorage--we would have had another big one.

The quake was updated to 8.2 and then downgraded to 7.9. The Tsunami generated by the quake did not do any major damage.

This is my biggest quake to date.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-23-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TSUNAMI

There were waves that hit same area in 1964 , but the highest one was ONLY 35ft. ...... Luckily most resident had evacuated up the nearby mountain the ones who didn't well ............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There were waves that hit same area in 1964 , but the highest one was ONLY 35ft. ...... Luckily most resident had evacuated up the nearby mountain the ones who didn't well ............Mike
    Good Friday 1964. That one was pegged at 9.2 It holds the record for a US earthquake. Large areas of downtown were devastated. The Tsunami went up Turnagain Arm and devastated the town of Portage. I showed the remains of a couple buildings and a car to the NtA group when we did a ride. Also much damage to some Coastal towns caused large loss of life and property.

Like they said on the news this AM--we dodged a big bullet this time.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-24-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Glad to hear AKspyderman is OK and I saw there was another earthquake 4.6 outside of Fairbanks...things a really shaking up there.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Glad to hear AKspyderman is OK and I saw there was another earthquake 4.6 outside of Fairbanks...things a really shaking up there.
    AK gets a lot of earthquakes since we live in the "zone." 50 to 100 a day are common. AK is big enough that most are not in populated areas. Anything over a 5 usually gets our attention though.

I get to "ride" about once a week--but they are usually 1's or 2's. They tell me I am in a "fault" area.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

D,
    Glad to hear that you and Linda are okay!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The bottom line: We are safe here. I was communicating with BlueKnight last night shortly after the quake happened.

Here is what I said:

We just had an 8.0 magnitude earthquake here (12:40 AM). Everything on the walls was shaking and a couple pictures fell down. No other damage that I see at the moment. It started as a slow roll and then gradually intensified. Kodiak Island was the epicenter. About 231 miles away.

Update: Fortunately the quake was about 50 miles out in the inlet from Kodiak. No major damage anywhere according to the news so far. Had that happened a bit nearer to Anchorage--we would have had another big one.

The quake was updated to 8.2 and then downgraded to 7.9. The Tsunami generated by the quake did not do any major damage.

This is my biggest quake to date.
    Thanks for the report. I'm glad you and Linda are OK and there was no severe damage.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Quake

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Good Friday 1964. I believe that one was pegged at 8.9. Whatever it was--it holds the record for a US earthquake. Large areas of downtown were devastated. The Tsunami went up Turnagain Arm and devastated the town of Portage. I showed the remains of a couple buildings and a car to the NtA group when we did a ride. Also much damage to some Coastal towns caused large loss of life and property.

Like they said on the news this AM--we dodged a big bullet this time.
    Did not the city of Anchorage also suffer a quake sometime ago?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Did not the city of Anchorage also suffer a quake sometime ago?
    The "big one" was Good Friday 1964. At 9.2 it was the strongest quake recorded in the US.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My son in Palmer said he slept right through it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    My son in Palmer said he slept right through it.
    Linda did too--and she was twenty five miles closer than I.

2020 F3L , Magma Red