Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default A Very Baffling question

I just installed the Cat bypass pipe with no baffle and It is too loud for my taste. It comes with a Canopener baffle but I also see that Lamonster also offers a Big City Thunder Baffle. Is the BCT Baffle worth the 68 bucks over the canopener that came with the pipe?
    Comparisons please
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-22-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have Lamont's CAT bypass with no baffle and hardly can tell the difference in sound from stock unless

you really rap it up. 1330 engine. (of course my hearing aint what it used ta be)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have Lamont's CAT bypass with no baffle and hardly can tell the difference in sound from stock unless

you really rap it up. 1330 engine. (of course my hearing aint what it used ta be)

Jack
    Really, my Bypass with the stock muffler sounds louder than the ST I had that had a cat bypass (no baffle) with a Akrapovic silencer.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I do like a good note, just not obnoxious and tinny.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Your statement in #3 would suggest we are not talking about your ST...so what are we talking about..? I have found that odd cylinder engines are hard to make sound good.... can't help with the baffle dilema
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This last week, I was experimenting with some exhausts. Needless to say, I took everything off and put combinations back on many times! I bought two after market exhausts to give them a shot.

I finally put the primary muffler (cat) and the stock exhaust back on, and rode for a few days at total stock configuration. Seemed back to what I remember. Two nights ago, I pulled out the cat and installed the bypass pipe again. I had run this for about 18,000 miles. It has the Big City baffle in it, and I can say that it is not much louder than stock. Just sounds a bit deeper, better 'engine' sound, but nothing close, even close, to any Harley going by.

I do not consider the cat bypass pipe / Big City baffle / stock exhaust loud at all. It is louder, but by a tiny few decibels.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

If you HAVE an included baffle, why don't you let your ears decide
    if you need to spend extra greenbacks or not to further alter the sound.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Thats what Im looking for. The added performance with Just a little deeper and a little louder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Thats what Im looking for. The added performance with Just a little deeper and a little louder.
    Right! Sounds like what I have with the baffle installed.

$65 on this sound is better than a bunch music you buy anyway!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    If you HAVE an included baffle, why don't you let your ears decide
    if you need to spend extra greenbacks or not to further alter the sound.
    Thats my delema, I already have one. It may be exactly what Im looking for. The Big City Thunder baffles seem to be pretty popular and was wondering if it was worth the extra bucks. Either way I will have to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing over again. I dont want to do it 2 more times.
    Today I installed the Bypass pipe, a Baha Ron Sway bar and a bump skid. I still have a lots lighting to work on next.

Spyder Garage

I was reading another thread on the subject and one guy had the BCT on the front and the canopener on the back of the pipe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Right! Sounds like what I have with the baffle installed.

$65 on this sound is better than a bunch music you buy anyway!
    I want both, The Music/communications, and a good sounding bike. I just got a Garmin 590 and found that its pandora app is all the music I need. Super clear and loud threw the bikes sound system.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TWO vs. THREE

Thats my delema, I already have one. It may be exactly what Im looking for. The Big City Thunder baffles seem to be pretty popular and was wondering if it was worth the extra bucks. Either way I will have to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing over again. I dont want to do it 2 more times.
    Today I installed the Bypass pipe, a Baha Ron Sway bar and a bump skid. I still have a lots lighting to work on next.
    I can not understand why some people give a recommendation for a product using a different Spyder than the OP is asking questions about ......... What occurs on the 1330 does not apply to the 990 series motors ...... I have a 1330 and put the CAT by-pass on without the Baffle ( because it wasn't being sold yet ) after learning about the Baffle, I made one and put it in ..... The sound level went down and the tone ..... It may have changed the power point some, but without a Dyno sheet it's not relevant ....... jmho.... Mike

Spyder Garage

Um, well.... nice people want to help. Also nice people may not realize to the detail of others do in text. This is a forum where participation should be encouraged, not discouraged.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I can not understand why some people give a recommendation for a product using a different Spyder than the OP is asking questions about ......... What occurs on the 1330 does not apply to the 990 series motors ...... I have a 1330 and put the CAT by-pass on without the Baffle ( because it wasn't being sold yet ) after learning about the Baffle, I made one and put it in ..... The sound level went down and the tone ..... It may have changed the power point some, but without a Dyno sheet it's not relevant ....... jmho.... Mike

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Your statement in #3 would suggest we are not talking about your ST...so what are we talking about..? I have found that odd cylinder engines are hard to make sound good.... can't help with the baffle dilema
    very odd sound gene

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You are correct Chupaca, I traded in my ST a couple of weeks ago and now am ryding an F3 LTD. I just came in from taking the pipe off and putting in the canopener baffle. It sounds more like it did with the Cat but a little louder and a lot deeper note. I think I will be happy with it but have not riden it yet, just idled it for ten minutes and gunned it a few times before I quit.

Spyder Garage

I loved the way the ST sounded with that twin. It was more like a motorcycle. The 1330 sounds more like a sports car.

Spyder Garage

I've read through all this thread and it is interesting to hear what is said but I still have a dilemma. My ride is a F3-S and I want to do a cat bypass and do away with the stock muffler and use a motorbike sport muffler (looks better in my eyes) in stead. But the thing is, the vast majority of non Cam-Am mufflers are end fed not side fed like the stock one.

As we all know the Lemonster pipe feeds the side of the stock muffler as one would expect so if I buy that one I'm stuck with the Cam Am muffler.

Any ideas, suggestions, alternatives would be welcome.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3Spyderman View Post
    I've read through all this thread and it is interesting to hear what is said but I still have a dilemma. My ride is a F3-S and I want to do a cat bypass and do away with the stock muffler and use a motorbike sport muffler (looks better in my eyes) in stead. But the thing is, the vast majority of non Cam-Am mufflers are end fed not side fed like the stock one.

As we all know the Lemonster pipe feeds the side of the stock muffler as one would expect so if I buy that one I'm stuck with the Cam Am muffler.

check out spydermanexhaust.com

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Check out the sidewinder exhaust that Pitbull puts out on this video. It looks really cool for an F3 S
    Go to 10:40 on the video.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    check out spydermanexhaust.com
    Yes thanks for that. Have already looked at the one he does.

Although he seems a nice guy and I've no doubt he knows lots about exhausts and I don't wish to be disrespectful but there are a couple of thinks I don't like about his product. His pipe is made of ally coated steel and I think it might soon get burnt to a horrible colour and start to rust. The muffler bracket looks a bit crude and I notice he does not use the hanger that the cat used to hang on. Wondered if that might put extra stain on the manifold joint.

Its just the way I see it rightly or wrongly.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Spyder Garage

Check out the sidewinder exhaust that Pitbull puts out on this video. It looks really cool for an F3 S
    Go to 10:40 on the video.
    Thanks for that AY4B. Love the muffler in vid and that's the sort of thing I had in mind. But on the vid I cant actually see what bypass pipe he is using. Looks like he removes a whole length of pipe along with the cat cus you see him unscrewing a monitor probe (or what ever it is)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that AY4B. Love the muffler in vid and that's the sort of thing I had in mind. But on the vid I cant actually see what bypass pipe he is using. Looks like he removes a whole length of pipe along with the cat cus you see him unscrewing a monitor probe (or what ever it is)
    It is the same bypass that Lamonster sells. What they did is take the whole pipe, front and back off , it is easier that way but you do have to undo the CO2 sensor up front. Once you have it off it is much easier to deal with the 3 Springs .

Spyder Garage

You just need a tool to pull the Springs . I made one from a paint can opener, I just bent the end enough to snag the Springs and you can stick a wrench or something in the end to pull on.

Spyder Garage

It is the same bypass that Lamonster sells. What they did is take the whole pipe, front and back off , it is easier that way but you do have to undo the CO2 sensor up front. Once you have it off it is much easier to deal with the 3 Springs .
    Many thanks for the clarification, yes I see what they did now. Read another tread on here re the fiendish 3 springs and lots of tools/methods been put forward so think I have that covered.

Think it quite possible then the muffler shown in the video can be used with Lamonster's pipe. What I'm after is not just the slight increase in power but a louder more raucous, exciting sound.