Spyder Garage

Default Nitrous on Spyder

Had anyone had any experience with running a dry nitrous kit on the Spyder? I was thinking of doing the dynojet programmer and having the map switch to change maps when spraying to get enough fuel. Looking for input from people who have done this?

Spyder Garage

?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Really😲

Keep looking...👀 I know turbochargers have been used even before BRP used one but not NO2... lot of electrical components on these machines and sensors to deal with...if or when you find out let us know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Keep looking...👀 I know turbochargers have been used even before BRP used one but not NO2... lot of electrical components on these machines and sensors to deal with...if or when you find out let us know...

Looks like I’m going to give it a whirl. I ordered the dynojet Power commander and auto tune. Along with MAP switch. I also ordered a MPS dry kit(20 shot) 2.5# bottle.I talked to a shop that does a lot of custom tuning on dyno and they are going to give it a try. Was hoping someone else has done it already but I couldn’t find anything doing a google search. Figured it would be fun to have a little extra HP once in awhile. I’ll post updates. It will be awhile before they get parts and get it on dyno.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NITROUS

I wish you all the best on this ...... However, Spyders have very complicated computer systems for them, and getting around them is going to be difficult. Also Spyders have traction issues now..... adding 30 % or more increase in HP is not going to make the " Nanny " happy.......... personally I think this is an exercise in futility that is going to be $$$$$$ ........ almost like using the Spyder for Plowing snow ............... but good luck, I think out-of-the-box all the time , but not as far as you are on this one ........Mike

Spyder Garage

What model Spyder do you have?

Just wondering as there was a company in Auckland, NZ that was offering reprogramming for the V-twin to increase HP etc. I seem to remember they offered various states of tune up to around 150hp, there were some other mods that were also offered. There were good reports from a couple of riders there who had the mods done. If some one is doing this in NZ I'm guessing there will be companies in the US with a similar service.

The V-twin is virtually identical to the Aprilla RSV but has a far softer state of tune, so it should be able to increase performance safely.

If you've got the 1330 then I've not heard of anyone doing something similar with those.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jjrk3 View Post
    Had anyone had any experience with running a dry nitrous kit on the Spyder? I was thinking of doing the dynojet programmer and having the map switch to change maps when spraying to get enough fuel. Looking for input from people who have done this?
    I think you are venturing into new territory here. BlueKnight is right on also. I know of one person who added a turbocharger and ended up blowing up at least one engine. Add nitrous to the mix...????????????????

Don't look for warranty help if you run into problems like that. Good luck.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-23-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    What model Spyder do you have?

Just wondering as there was a company in Auckland, NZ that was offering reprogramming for the V-twin to increase HP etc. I seem to remember they offered various states of tune up to around 150hp, there were some other mods that were also offered. There were good reports from a couple of riders there who had the mods done. If some one is doing this in NZ I'm guessing there will be companies in the US with a similar service.

The V-twin is virtually identical to the Aprilla RSV but has a far softer state of tune, so it should be able to increase performance safely.

If you've got the 1330 then I've not heard of anyone doing something similar with those.
    I have a 2014 ST Limited SE5 998. I am always thinking outside of the box. I have a little extra weight on the back end of my Spyder from a rack I had made to hold my wheelchair. I know I will most likely run into some issues but if done correctly a 20 shot shouldn't hurt the engine. The Nitrous kit wasn't that much but the dyno time and tuning will be the expensive part. Won't know if it will work if you don't try.

Spyder Garage

Default Nitrous is a gas

Well it's a liquid in the tank. Anyways, I put a NO2 system on a 80's Mazda P/U. What a sleeper. Took off the system when I gave the truck to my son. But what great fun. I wish you the best in you endeavors to add NO2 to the .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck! I used nitrous on my 94 cobra for about 10 years with no problems. The key is to have enough spark and fuel to go along with the nitrous. The one key thing that most people make a mistake on is thinking that more is better. With nitrous, that is not always true. After 10 years of having fun and enjoying my setting, the new owner decided that he wanted more (he was doing quite a bit of street racing with the car, doing quite well I might add). After bumping up the nitrous and fuel pills, he blew a head gasket. Fortunately that was all he screwed up. But I think he learned his lesson.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't over think it. Your not burning the motor down on a dry 20 shot. We did one years ago and I'm fairly sure the guy still rides it. We set it up on a WOT switch. Stock the bikes run low 12's AFR at WOT. We were seeing 13's with gas. Better control when first hitting if you bypass the o2 sensor and block off the purge. This helps with the initial lean condition during transition.
    This is an old school sleeper mod. Works well (pre-13' RS) but your not winning any races on the spyder either.

However, with all of that said, you can pick up about double the output vs gas with a good tune. Its also power you can use all the time. Which is what most run around here. My 12' RS that my wife rides full time has been running a tune for the last 4+ years. About 140+hp that is very easy to ride...not sketchy

Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

?

Jack

"DITTO"
    DAN
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default SUPER - - TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Don't over think it. Your not burning the motor down on a dry 20 shot. We did one years ago and I'm fairly sure the guy still rides it. We set it up on a WOT switch. Stock the bikes run low 12's AFR at WOT. We were seeing 13's with gas. Better control when first hitting if you bypass the o2 sensor and block off the purge. This helps with the initial lean condition during transition.
    This is an old school sleeper mod. Works well (pre-13' RS) but your not winning any races on the spyder either.

However, with all of that said, you can pick up about double the output vs gas with a good tune. Its also power you can use all the time. Which is what most run around here. My 12' RS that my wife rides full time has been running a tune for the last 4+ years. About 140+hp that is very easy to ride...not sketchy

Good luck!
    140 hp ........... annnnnnnnnnnd who did this " TUNE " ..... I know " Aprilla " gets something like that, and there are two tuners on this forum who are saying they have systems that work, but no hp quotes so far ..... Thanks ...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    140 hp ........... annnnnnnnnnnd who did this " TUNE " ..... I know " Aprilla " gets something like that, and there are two tuners on this forum who are saying they have systems that work, but no hp quotes so far ..... Thanks ...Mike
    Hey Mike,
    Ours was tuned by a guy who has helped us with our Seadoo tuning in the past. Not really looking to sell as he is not in that business. He had never done a spyder. Its based off a modified RSVR map but designed to bring more torque at the lower revs as well as pulling out the EPA curve. Increased rev limiter and all but shut down VSS without affecting ABS controlled through the seat switch.

There are a few tuners out there with conservative tunes getting good power for sure. I'm honestly out of the loop as I don't ride the spyder anymore or have much desire to mod it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who knows the guys who did the Aprilia RSV map? Msg me please! I've been looking to tweak the 998. Living at altitude in Colorado, we need all the power we can get. Is it anything more than say a Power Commander remap could produce?
    Last edited by asp125; 02-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default POWER TUNE

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Hey Mike,
    Ours was tuned by a guy who has helped us with our Seadoo tuning in the past. Not really looking to sell as he is not in that business. He had never done a spyder. Its based off a modified RSVR map but designed to bring more torque at the lower revs as well as pulling out the EPA curve. Increased rev limiter and all but shut down VSS without affecting ABS controlled through the seat switch.

There are a few tuners out there with conservative tunes getting good power for sure. I'm honestly out of the loop as I don't ride the spyder anymore or have much desire to mod it.
    ..Thanks Drew, good info .... sorry to here you have sort of moved on ..........I've always liked your input here ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jjrk3 View Post
    Looks like I’m going to give it a whirl. I ordered the dynojet Power commander and auto tune. Along with MAP switch. I also ordered a MPS dry kit(20 shot) 2.5# bottle.I talked to a shop that does a lot of custom tuning on dyno and they are going to give it a try. Was hoping someone else has done it already but I couldn’t find anything doing a google search. Figured it would be fun to have a little extra HP once in awhile. I’ll post updates. It will be awhile before they get parts and get it on dyno.
    I hope you'll do it at the drag races at Spyderfest! Gotta see that.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I hope you'll do it at the drag races at Spyderfest! Gotta see that.

I'm hoping to have it done by then if it all works out! This will be my first time to Spyderfest. I am looking forward to it.

Spyder Garage

Sound like a ton of fun in a straight line!!Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default DRY Nitrous

How did it turn out?

Spyder Garage

Like to hear results myself. Be nice to know who does dyno tuning on these things too.