Thread: Side grills

Spyder Garage

Default Side grills

Watching a you tube video re custom side replacement grills....looked at the machine and the sides are different ..left side has black grill and bottom is solid panel...right side is open..top and bottom....is this correct...have changes been made over model years ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Yes. 2014 and up include a right side grill and block-off plate. Same part (Part #705004803 Right Side vent ) can be used to even up the appearance of '13's and before.

Many have touched on how to do this and properly... I used Rob's Mods and Farkles example.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 01-22-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added link to Rob's Mods
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Here's similar approach to the missing grill problem. My wife's 2012 RT Limited suffered the same lack of symmetry not to mention the roasted right foot dilemma but we approached the issue differently.

Her Spyder has Seal floorboards and we found the solution (actually, a solution) by installing the insulated block-off panel offered by Lamonster Garage to close the upper opening. We left the lower opening immediately in front of the floorboards in DGoebel's second photo - open. We also modified the panels below and to the rear of the radiator to allow hot air to escape. Engine temperature gauge needle remains in the center of the dial and her right foot no longer roasts. Works for us although the right panel is solid black rather than the nice mesh grille style on the left side.
    Last edited by Arion; 01-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

The were built that way through 2013. Many have taken a stealth trip to the dealer to inspect other machines--to check if they were really missing a right side grill cover.

I was one of those fooled in 2008.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought a box of spider parts off eBay. A left Grill was in the parts. I put it on the right side with zip ties upside down and you cannot tell the difference looks Factory

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    I bought a box of spider parts off eBay. A left Grill was in the parts. I put it on the right side with zip ties upside down and you cannot tell the difference looks Factory
    my grill

H.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    Watching a you tube video re custom side replacement grills....looked at the machine and the sides are different ..left side has black grill and bottom is solid panel...right side is open..top and bottom....is this correct...have changes been made over model years ?
    Here's what I did for the 2013 RT I had to balance the look and block the heat from the upper vent that cooked my foot when I had it on the highway peg.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=grill

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yes. 2014 and up include a right side grill and block-off plate. Same part (Part #705004803 Right Side vent ) can be used to even up the appearance of '13's and before.

Many have touched on how to do this and properly... I used Rob's Mods and Farkles example.

So this part will also fit a 2010 RT as well?
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I used the same grill on my 2013. But I attached an old mud flap to the inside of the grill portion, so the appearance was the same using Velcro. Removed bottom skid plate and opens up pan behind fan at the bottom. If I ride in really hot weather (100+) I cantemove it. So after install, temp stays just below half mark and no hot right foot!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlimited View Post
    my grill

H.jpg

Where did you get these?

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    So this part will also fit a 2010 RT as well?
    EvilTwin, I believe so, I've seen it done on '13's and '12's. The part is about $21.00 from a dealer and is plastic and easily adjusted so it should. I did remove part of the bottom plate under the bike, and cut extra radiator outflow vent holes in the bottom of the area covered by the block off plate. some just cut part of the bottom of the block off plate to allow outflow there as well.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020