Thread: Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

I have been watching several videos on laser alignment on the Can Am Spyder. I decided to buy two magnetic laser levels and fabricate stands for measurements. I have checked the alignment on my 2015 Spyder RT. Ifound it off just a little bit. So I did loosen the tie rod lock nuts and madea small change. I did mark it so I can put it back where it was. With the weather here I have not taken it out for a test ride.

I made a video of the equipment I used and how I did thealignment. I posted it on You Tube so if any of you watch it I appreciate any comments. I may not be doing it correctly.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Did you calibrate the laser levels first? I mentioned it in my laser alignment video. The laser levels I bought were not calibrated from the factory. Nice to see others making rheir own alignment tools. I do mine and my dads spyders once a year.

Also, in your video, your first measrement was 65-3/4. When you measred with the lasers pointed to the front, you said the measrement was 65. That means you have it toed in quite a bit. This could be a false reading though if your lasers are not calibrated.

To calibrate the lasers, get an 8 foot piece of square tubing. Look down the length of the tubing to verify it is straight. Place the laser level at one end. Put a ruler in front of the laser a few inches away and record the measurement. Then place the ruler in front of the laser at the far end of the tubing and record the measurement. They should be the same. Adjust the laser using the small set screws on the level if necessary. When your done, you should be able to put the levels side by side on the tubing, point towards a wall and the laser points shoild be equal.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I did calibrate the two lasers so they were right together. I did have to shim one a little so they were right level together. I did have the rear right measured on 65-3/4" and my front was right around 65" or 65-1/8". I have less than 3/4" toe in which I did not think that was to much. With me on the bike it did not show much change but when traveling I would be carrying some more weight which would give less toe in. The bike has 17,600 miles on it and original front tires and they show very little cupping so the alignment could not have been off very much. I had them balanced at 10,000 miles and always run 19 lbs. of air. I have the Doran tire monitoring system on the bike so I watch the tire pressure at all times. I do a lot of 70 to 80 mile an hour riding. The bike seems to handle real well. I have been riding two wheel bikes for over 60 years. This is a lot different handle machine. I just did not know if doing the alignment this way is correct. I have no way to check if my handle bars are perfectively straight. I put them as straight as I could, no more than mind was off I just adjusted the left side tie rod. If it had been off any amount at all I would adjust both the right and left. Any other ideas you have I do appreciate them.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure, but what the one lazer alignment dealer that did my ST a few years ago also connected to B.U.D.S. to update the system. Thinking its because of the ABS and traction control needed to be reset. How is this part being done?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Not sure, but what the one lazer alignment dealer that did my ST a few years ago also connected to B.U.D.S. to update the system. Thinking its because of the ABS and traction control needed to be reset. How is this part being done?
    I think the only reason to connect to B.U.D.S. is to check the center for the handle bars. Alignment would have nothing to do with ABS and traction control. I am just checking my wheel alignment. My handle bars are not out that much.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I think the only reason to connect to B.U.D.S. is to check the center for the handle bars. Alignment would have nothing to do with ABS and traction control. I am just checking my wheel alignment. My handle bars are not out that much.
    The steering angle sensor and torque offset need to be reset. If you are out of alignment you can go into limp mode if you don't reset the sensors. After all you've put into your "system" I'd love to have you come see us at an event and have us check out your alignment using the real system, Rolo/Outlaw Laser alignment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Careful Joel, Ann and Joe Meyer are the experts in the Laser Spyder alignments and have done most of

the Spyder alignments in this community including both of mine. Believe me they do know what they are

doing and have the most knowledge in Laser Spyder Alignments.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    That is NOT true. I did a laser alignment on 2 spyders using similar homemade equipment and then checked them using my BUDS software. Steering angle sensor and Torque sensor were both still at zero. They will remain at whatever setting they were at prior to doing the alignment as long as the handlebars are kept centered during the alignment process.
    Joel you got lucky, I’m not saying that you’ll go into Limp Mode every time but the proper way is to reset the sensors.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Joel you got lucky, I’m not saying that you’ll go into Limp Mode every time but the proper way is to reset the sensors.
    What do you do when you live in an area that you don't have a dealer you would let work on your bike. I purchased a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT used 10,000 miles on it. I wanted to change oil and service it so I rode it to the dealer and the guy on the counter came out looked at it and sold me a oil change kit for it. I took it home and drain the oil removed the oil filter. I could see the filter was different and it had a small filter with the kit. I called them and they said I had the wrong kit it was for the 2 cylinder. I had to go back to the dealer and get the correct kit 145 miles round trip with my car. I have heard nothing good about them. Would you take a bike to them and let them work on it. I have to do my own service work. I have been riding motorcycles for 62 years and have owned 35 and have always done all my own service work. The only reason I purchased this used instead of new I wasn't sure I would like it. I put 7,000 miles on in four months and found out I love the thing except when you hear all the problems people have getting service. I was sure thinking about a new 2018 but if you can touch it yourself without this B.U.D.S I waiting to look at a Goldwing with the front trike kit.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you do when you live in an area that you don't have a dealer you would let work on your bike. I purchased a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT used 10,000 miles on it. I wanted to change oil and service it so I rode it to the dealer and the guy on the counter came out looked at it and sold me a oil change kit for it. I took it home and drain the oil removed the oil filter. I could see the filter was different and it had a small filter with the kit. I called them and they said I had the wrong kit it was for the 2 cylinder. I had to go back to the dealer and get the correct kit 145 miles round trip with my car. I have heard nothing good about them. Would you take a bike to them and let them work on it. I have to do my own service work. I have been riding motorcycles for 62 years and have owned 35 and have always done all my own service work. The only reason I purchased this used instead of new I wasn't sure I would like it. I put 7,000 miles on in four months and found out I love the thing except when you hear all the problems people have getting service. I was sure thinking about a new 2018 but if you can touch it yourself without this B.U.D.S I waiting to look at a Goldwing with the front trike kit.
    Order your oil change kits from BajaRon, he even ships the oil, so you won’t have to go to your dealer. You can do much of the maintenance without using BUDS so don’t worry about that. You’ve got a good machine and you shouldn’t have any problems with it as long as you take care of it.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Order your oil change kits from BajaRon, he even ships the oil, so you won’t have to go to your dealer. You can do much of the maintenance without using BUDS so don’t worry about that. You’ve got a good machine and you shouldn’t have any problems with it as long as you take care of it.
    I plan to buy my Oil filters and supplies from BajaRon but I am purchasing Mobil 1 motorcycle oil local. Is it possible to purchase the software or what ever it takes to get BUDS and what cable and where do you plugin at?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I plan to buy my Oil filters and supplies from BajaRon but I am purchasing Mobil 1 motorcycle oil local. Is it possible to purchase the software or what ever it takes to get BUDS and what cable and where do you plugin at?
    For your 2015 Spyder, yes you can purchase BUDS and the MPI interface module from a number of vendors. BRP licences it and sells it to the dealers. Its written by and licensed from Kongsberg. Powersports Diagnostics is one vendor. Its not cheap.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just an additional vote for Squared Away. I had mine done at Red Rock. Went for a couple hundred mile ride today. I can take both hands off the bars and the bike will track true. Coming to a stop light with a Honda trike behind me amazed him as I stopped straight as could be with my hands off the handlebars. I don't recommend riding "no hands" but just couldn't help myself. Needed to show off.....

Thanks Joe and Ann
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Squared Away

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Just an additional vote for Squared Away. I had mine done at Red Rock. Went for a couple hundred mile ride today. I can take both hands off the bars and the bike will track true. Coming to a stop light with a Honda trike behind me amazed him as I stopped straight as could be with my hands off the handlebars. I don't recommend riding "no hands" but just couldn't help myself. Needed to show off.....

Thanks Joe and Ann
    Our Pleasure! There might be a DIY system that works well enough, and might not need a BUDS reset. I did our first one in 2010 with 8 foot fluorescent lights, the straightest thing I could find. On Ann's bike. I had been the Heavy repair Foreman at GM's truck plant. My guys did lots of alignments on trucks, every day. I saw the Spyder was out, and eating tires. So, fixed it. Good enough.
    In 2013, when ROLO came out with a patented system that was incredibly accurate, we asked Lamont what he thought. He bought one, and swears by it. Good enough for me - so we got one. I value Lamont's opinion. This system aligns the spyder perfectly, and after some practice, we decided to share it with folks out west. Now in our 5th year, we have well over 1000 aligns, and keep pretty busy, getting invited to come Square Away Spyders. We are always open to new ideas and techniques, and travel tens of thousands of miles on our bikes every year. If you have a better idea, we would love to hear it, and keep an eye out - we will be in your area soon enough! We go where we are invited. We are happy to go to new places, as well. We love to ride, and a properly set up Spyder is a joy to ride on. Cheers! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system