Spyder Garage

Default 2017 rt limited Bluetooth

Can I use any Bluetooth headset to say listen to radio without using a dongle on a 2017 rt limit. THANK YOU

Spyder Garage

Yes you can . We use the dongle to hear music ,GPS and pair our head sets for communication . You should be able to do two of these functions without the dongle but not all three .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Yes you can . We use the dongle to hear music ,GPS and pair our head sets for communication . You should be able to do two of these functions without the dongle but not all three .
    I how you are right. We have Bluetooth headset already and just would like hear radio and passenger without needing that dongle

Spyder Garage

Default Some sort of transmitter needed

If I understand your question, you are wondering if you need a dongle at all? You do need something to transmit to the Bluetooth headset. You can use the dongle or some other Bluetooth transmitter, but you do need a transmitter of some sorts.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I wish it wasn't true, but what Brent said was also my understanding about my own 2017 RT. I find the radio just about impossible to hear at speeds over about 10 mph. It would be great if I was able to send the signal to my helmet headset, but BRP wants $259 for their accessory dongle to do that. Even third-party dongles are well over $100. Sorry, but paying $100 to listen to the garbage on the radio is just not worth it. If there's a way to do this without paying for a dongle, though, somebody say how to do it!

Wouldn't a good alternative be to just forget about the radio while on the road and just get music on mp3s through a cell phone (which obviously does have a bluetooth connection to the headset)? I'm not technically proficient but I believe some radio stations can be received on the internet as well. With a proper mount, the cell phone could also show a map and Siri can give directions. A new cell phone can go for hours without a charge, too, so most of the time there shouldn't be any need for wiring to charge the phone.

I'm new to the Spyder and don't do much electronics, so please forgive me if I'm being Mr. Obvious here.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Pair your headset to your phone and listen to whatever you want. If you listen to music stored on your phone, that's free. If you stream music, i.e. Sirius or XM radio, or any other music apps, you will use cellular data. Just need a signal. And yes, lots of FM stations stream music. You just have to download their apps.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can get iHeart Radio, Sirius and many other radio apps on a smartphone. Pairing to the phone with music is the only way to get music to the headset. To listen to the bike's radio would require a bluetooth transmitter.

If you want to control what you listen to then you'll need a way to mount the phone which would still be a problem as trying to touch the screen while going down the road can be tricky.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

However on the 16 and up models you do have the ability to see what songs are playing on the phone, and you can advance to the next song with the left hand controls. Just plug the phone into the supplied USB connector.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I usually wear a shorty but even when I use a half I can hear my radio at speeds of 80 mph without any problems.
    Might want to check your setting and ensure your Auto Audio gain is set to HIGH!

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I wish it wasn't true, but what Brent said was also my understanding about my own 2017 RT. I find the radio just about impossible to hear at speeds over about 10 mph.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Wow... crazy answers here.

If you want to hear the Spyders radio in your Bluetooth helmet you do need the Bluetooth dongle. Only the new 2018 models you will not.
    Contact Motorcycle Dave (A sponsor here) for good prices.

All RT models will display the songs, titles, playlists on the display IF it is an Apple iPhone or iPod.

Just giving correct answers here.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default USB Thumbdrive also.

I have a huge collection of mp3 music. I put it all on a USB thumbdrive and plugged it into the connector in the trunk. You can see the see the song & artist on the spyders display. Works well for me. Also, an old iPhone or iPod plugged in offers direct control, as iPhone interface is built into the Spyder.

I have the BRP bluetooth kit installed now, have yet to get it all synched up with helmets to see how it works. Really hoping the $249 prive tag is worth it, to hear whatever comes out the speakers on the bike get pumped into the helmets!