Spyder Garage

Default Elusive handlebar riser zip tie location?

I recently got a 2012 RS SM5. Since the weather warmed up I decided to install a Roadkrome luggage rack so I can put a Shad top case on it. Since I was wrenching I figured I would go ahead and strip the panels down to check the oil and cut the lower zip tie to prepare for the Rivco handlebar riser install I want to do in the near future.
    My main question is, is the tie around the clutch cable, the throttle cables, or hand control wiring? I followed the clutch cable down into the Tupperware bowels and there was no zip tie on it. The previous owner had a Pyle amp and speakers installed and I wonder if they removed the zip tie in that install because I am not finding any zip tie. I was hoping to clip it before I button the panels back on.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I installed my risers I cut the zip ties. They are around the clutch and throttle cables on either side of the steering stem, just before it entered the tupperware. No need to be precise if you are re-attaching them. Just put some so that the wiring/cables aren't rubbing against any sharp edges.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hi Squanchkava72,

Re: the tie

Three years ago, when I installed my handlebar risers, I looked & looked for these ties. I never did find any.

I simply pulled ever so easy on the cables and they gave enough so that I can steer completely & easily.

I do not know if a previous owner ( I'm #3 ) removed them or if they had been left off during mfr.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Since then I have had all of the front tupperware off & have never seen any ties; other than the ones that I have installed for wiring, etc.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Thanks folks. I followed the steering stem up that was mentioned and felt the zip tie. Will snip it off when I strip the steering stem rubbers and instrument cluster off.