Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Scorecard ?????

For me, this SpyderLovers site has always been most helpful in terms of advice, the experiences of others, and warnings of what to avoid. It is also a place where many discuss issues of concern and relate stories of poor dealer/customer relations. These reports get scattered throughout the threads - one such story is currently running: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...st-lost-all-my... Sometimes, this gets passed along or shared privately by word of mouth.

This got me to wondering whether it might be useful to have an overall 'scorecard' where we, as a group, could tabulate our combined individiual experiences in a 'ballpark' ratings fashion, so it would be useful as a quick, overall guide to someone looking to purchase or needing service. We all shop from time to time; we all travel, and may need assistance while on the road. I'm thinking that a quick reference guide, tabulated in bulk form, might indicate where to look, based on the broad experience of other members. It could reward those who foster good dealer-client relations.

We could do this by a simple '5-star' system: 1 - poor; 2 - fair; 3 - average; 4 - good; 5 - excellent. No need to go into elaborate details. Individual responses to be averaged out and published as a group experience.

It could serve several purposes: over time, it will certainly tell dealerships what we think of them, and perhaps encourage them to 'up' their game. It will let BRP know what we think of their dealer network, and perhaps persuade them to 'encourage' improvements, where desired. And, it could be a handy 'one-stop' guide for us all, rather than having to look through pages and pages or shop blindly. It could be revised annually or semi-annually, based on a poll of members.

Here's a possible example (using my own local dealer who happens to have a solid reputation):

STATE/PROV. ...... CITY/AREA ...... DEALER NAME/ADDRESS ...... SALES ....... SERVICE

Ontario ...............Lindsay............ H B Cycle............................ ***** ........ *****
    Alaska
    Alabama
    etc.
    etc.

Admittedly, I am not the most literate computer guy around (quite poor in fact) and others may well have a better way to do this. Please comment and offer suggestions.

Is it worthwhile trying to do? Would it be helpful?
    Last edited by bushrat; 01-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Would be nice....

I believe BRP has dealer lists and ratings according to the personel training. Spydercodes has a list as well but the thing is you need to have constant updates and tech's are fickle and move around pretty quick weather on thier own or pulled away by other dealers. I worked for way too many years in the industry and saw mechanics come and go and return on a regular basis. With BRP dealers it depends on if it is a multi dealership where they can keep the techs busy or a single with seasonal work. I would be little help as I do all my own work but for sure it you listed all known dealers and asked ryders to rate them you would get some useful information... pros and cons
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good idea, execution challenging

I think your idea is good and there is value in having something like this. However, I suggest the greater challenge will be in actually creating something like this that is useful. If you look at sites like yelp, tripadvisor, amazon, google, etc. you'll see that they have applications designed to accomplish this. They allow you to post ratings and comments and then provide ongoing tabulated results and the ability to search and review the "reviews". It would be wonderful if the spyderlovers website provided this kind of review and feedback functionality.

Good luck,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    This got me to wondering whether it might be useful to have an overall 'scorecard' where we, as a group, could tabulate our combined individiual experiences in a 'ballpark' ratings fashion
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like this concept. Just not sure how to do it on the forum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Scorecard

I believe you might have something of REAL VALUE. Bring it on!!!
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I think your idea is good and there is value in having something like this. However, I suggest the greater challenge will be in actually creating something like this that is useful. If you look at sites like yelp, tripadvisor, amazon, google, etc. you'll see that they have applications designed to accomplish this. They allow you to post ratings and comments and then provide ongoing tabulated results and the ability to search and review the "reviews". It would be wonderful if the spyderlovers website provided this kind of review and feedback functionality.

Good luck,
    Rob
    Rob:
    Yes. That would work - a 'review' type system. I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of programming to know 'how' to go about it. Just thought that an end product providing some guidance would be great to have. And if Lamont agrees.... SUPER!!!
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I think it would be great. It might smarten up some of the lower rated dealers to try harder to get a good report and if BRP took notice it might help
    them to see what the customers felt about a dealership and not just by how many units a dealer sells. It would also help if a person was touring and needed service to have an idea were to stop and which ones to avoid if possible.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Get on Yelp

Yelp already has such a system for reviewing all sorts of businesses. You don't even have to be a member to look at the reviews although you have to log in to make a review.

Our local BRP dealer has been reviewed there already.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/rpm-motor-s...NY0sneGCv2dFow
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default A Devil's Advocate View

The OP's idea is, IMO, as others have said, a good idea but probably difficult to keep up to date on a forum like SL.

One of the biggest obstacles I see with such a listing is supervising the criteria to shout out or slam a dealer. Many of us who follow SL regularly see owners who slam a dealership for some event, generally a service problem, when in fact had the complaining owner gone a bit farther, kept his/her cool and/or worked the problem up the organizational chain, including to BRBCare, things might have turned out substantially differently and, hopefully in his/her favor. If you were an independent business proprietor and you had a customer with a problem would you not prefer that the customer gave you the opportunity to deliver quality service before that customer slammed you on some Net review site. Yes, there are some poor/sloppy/obstinate or whatever dealerships out there, but isn't it better to see reviews/ratings based on "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say? Until we can skin that cat it's going to be a problem IMO creating a review database that is really worth its salt.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How would you prevent.........

Dealers or their employees from high jacking the form by entering random positive comments to combat the negative comments. Very good idea and I feel every dealership should be held to accountability, but don't depend on BRP to do that for you. Ebay had a good system but they've change it several times because of problems. It's still probably one of the better systems around. I never purchase from any seller under 98% no mater how many transactions they've made.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Dealers or their employees from high jacking the form by entering random positive comments to combat the negative comments. Very good idea and I feel every dealership should be held to accountability, but don't depend on BRP to do that for you. Ebay had a good system but they've change it several times because of problems. It's still probably one of the better systems around. I never purchase from any seller under 98% no mater how many transactions they've made.
    That's why you have to take everything on the internet, including here with a grain of salt, because there could also be customers with a grudge to bear who would put in really bad reviews. Just like the overwhelming complaints on Spyderlovers are from owners with problems - the squeaky wheel effect; the ones with no problems rarely need to chime in.

So over time, the sample size would tend to weed out the peaks and valleys. You see the same on Amazon, Glassdoor and any crowd sourced review site. Products and companies with only a few reviews are suspect, but ones with a lot usually are pretty accurate.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    ...One of the biggest obstacles I see with such a listing is supervising the criteria to shout out or slam a dealer. Many of us who follow SL regularly see owners who slam a dealership for some event, generally a service problem, when in fact had the complaining owner gone a bit farther, kept his/her cool and/or worked the problem up the organizational chain, including to BRBCare, things might have turned out substantially differently and, hopefully in his/her favor. If you were an independent business proprietor and you had a customer with a problem would you not prefer that the customer gave you the opportunity to deliver quality service before that customer slammed you on some Net review site. Yes, there are some poor/sloppy/obstinate or whatever dealerships out there, but isn't it better to see reviews/ratings based on "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say? Until we can skin that cat it's going to be a problem IMO creating a review database that is really worth its salt.
    JayBros:
    In my original post, before considering an individualized 'review-type' system, I was thinking of a 'bulk reporting-type' system whereby individual comments would be incorporated in a simple overall average, thus ending up with a 'consensual' evaluation, and obviating the issues surrounding one-off type complaints or individual personal disputes. I was trying to be sensitive to that type of problem. If we did do a 'review' type report, perhaps it could be designed to allow dealers responses. However, that does get us into potential squabbles, whereas a consensus-based scorecard could simply indicate the overall feelings of the broader Spyder community. We might do a survey once or twice a year to update; then publish a scorecard summary.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Roger
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    2dogs:
    See my response to JayBros. Similarly, we might monitor response from members, If someone tries to 'game' the system, we could deal with this. If it were a generalised 'consensual' grading system, seems to me it would be more difficult to 'pad' the report or stack the deck.
    Cheers, and Thanks.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How about.........

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    2dogs:
    See my response to JayBros. Similarly, we might monitor response from members, If someone tries to 'game' the system, we could deal with this. If it were a generalised 'consensual' grading system, seems to me it would be more difficult to 'pad' the report or stack the deck.
    Cheers, and Thanks.
    Just a 5 star score board w/o comments? Maybe allow comments in the background somewhere where, where squabbles can be duked out if some folks are interested in that sort of thing. It doesn't take very many words to show up and indicate just who's right and who's wrong. Yep, I'm like'n your idea more and more.

Spyder Garage

Roger's response to my post adds valuable elaboration. Most important, IMO, 2dogs' idea is one I think would give the most consistent information.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Embedded Excel on the forum?

Is there an option to embed into a thread, an Excel spreadsheet listing the city/dealer name/and its 5 star rating, one that everyone can access and update? But nobody can go back and edit (so they can't upvote or downvote another users data).
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Default R Fun

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I think it would be great. It might smarten up some of the lower rated dealers to try harder to get a good report and if BRP took notice it might help
    them to see what the customers felt about a dealership and not just by how many units a dealer sells. It would also help if a person was touring and needed service to have an idea were to stop and which ones to avoid if possible.
    Roger

R FUN , Where did you get the body parts for your bike . I tried to look up "Vertica" but had no luck . Thanks Meerkat .

Spyder Garage

This is just an opinion from an opposite point of view. You might want to run it by Lamont before spending a lot of time developing. I've seen on here where someone bad mouths a dealer, and some other member says they have had nothing but good luck with the same dealer. Check this link out; this is where I'm coming from:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...nts-online.asp

This form or spreadsheet that you or someone else may come up with may pass the smell test from the link provided; but, remember, there will be others making comments that may not pass the smell test. It's just a thought. I don't care one way or the other.

Spyder Garage

There are those that use the internet as a tool to get back at someone they do not like. We have seen this happen quite a few times here concerning dealers.

There was a dealer list with comments about service that has shown up from time to time.

I have to wait and see here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    This is just an opinion from an opposite point of view. You might want to run it by Lamont before spending a lot of time developing. I've seen on here where someone bad mouths a dealer, and some other member says they have had nothing but good luck with the same dealer. Check this link out; this is where I'm coming from:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...nts-online.asp

This form or spreadsheet that you or someone else may come up with may pass the smell test from the link provided; but, remember, there will be others making comments that may not pass the smell test. It's just a thought. I don't care one way or the other.
    wyliec, just to be clear, what I was originally proposing was a 'generalized' rating score, based on a 5-star system which would only show the consensus rating, not individual postings. For example, if members reported their personal rating of a dealer to a central info bank, and that central bank then came up with an average opinion/rating, it would balance out the good and bad, and simply show one score that reflected the average overall experience of members. That way, it avoids any personal feuds and would contain neither hurtful nor exaggerated comments made by individuals for whatever reason. It's never going to be a perfect system, but might provide some indication of the level of consumer experience most have had at a particular dealership. Perhaps there could be an additional box indicating that a dealer's 3-star rating was based on the average reports of 20 respondents, or a 5-star rating is based on hearing from only one respondent. If 100 people responded and the rating is only 1-star or 2-stars, that will give folks a fairly well-based reason to conclude that a particular dealer is not well regarded.

Anyway, just some thoughts trying to be helpful. Everyone's input is much appreciated.
    Last edited by bushrat; 01-22-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default It'll be impossible to maintain...

...Been a developer for 30 years. With variables that change all the time (mechanics) and businesses that can change their level of service at any time depending on a whim of business, I think this good idea will be impossible to maintain and will lose value in about six months. Sorry.

I agree with another user here when he/she suggested Yelp. One of the stickies ought to be how to create and manage Yelp reviews, which, BTW, also grow stale quickly.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    R FUN , Where did you get the body parts for your bike . I tried to look up "Vertica" but had no luck . Thanks Meerkat .
    Try "Vertika"

I think that you're putting dealerships in a difficult position.
    1. They're not in here to defend themselves
    2. Sometimes folks get frustrated over what is actually a pretty fair deal for them.... and they yell about it.
    3. There's no ability to fact-check anything.

There's a saying that I firmly believe in:
    "If you listen to fools: the mob rules."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that you're putting dealerships in a difficult position.
    1. They're not in here to defend themselves
    2. Sometimes folks get frustrated over what is actually a pretty fair deal for them.... and they yell about it.
    3. There's no ability to fact-check anything.

There's a saying that I firmly believe in:
    "If you listen to fools: the mob rules."
    Bob:
    Not to belabor the previous explanation, but:

my proposal is really nothing more than to publish a simple 'poll', in bulk format, not individualized.
    It would not require dealers to defend themselves, as there are no allegations made.
    It would not give any details as to 'why' people feel as they do.
    No fact checking would be involved as it would not be a fact-based, 'review-type' rating.

The original idea was simply to ask folks to rate dealerships, on a 1 to 5 scale, as to their perceived performance in the area of (a)-sales, (b)-service. Individual responses would be tallied and reported only in bulk format, after averaging out. Whatever star rating a dealer received, it would be explained that this was based on 'x' number of responses. You would soon know whether the 'poll' results were broadly and soundly based, or perhaps more weakly based.

i.e., just a 'poll type' report (as originally proposed); not an issues-based 'review' (as later mentioned), which may already be available through other means (Yelp).

A poll could also serve as a benefit to dealers - at least to any who might care enough to know 'how well' (or poorly) they are regarded by the public. And while it wouldn't go into details as to 'why', it could lend itself to possibly encouraging those with a 1 or 2-star rating to perhaps do some self-examination.

There's another saying: "if you don't listen to your public, you will soon find you have none."

I'm just floating a balloon.... all punctures accepted with equanimity.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like your motive for this...

But with the way that conversations tend to "evolve" in here: it'll most likely turn into a "Dealership Gripe-fest"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Meerkat;
    It is Vertika Canada vertikatrykescanada.com 819-427-9954 If you still have a problem let me know and I will see if I can help more.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors