Spyder Garage

Default Oil for 2011 rts se5?

Hi...Getting ready to change the oil in my 2011 Rts se5. Was thinking of using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. Has anyone used this oil? Recommendations? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no....!!!!

Many have but all I will say is I use XPS synthetic blend ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default On our 2011 SM5 RT we used BRP synthetic for 76000 miles

We changed our own oil and used BajaRons filters, but used the XPS yellow bottle full synthetic for 76,000 miles and no clutch issues when we traded up to the 15 RT SE6 2 years ago.

Now I feel comfortable with the Rotella T6 on the 1330 SE6 clutch pack after 44,000 on a 15 RTS and getting close to that on our current bikes--oil analysis on the Rotella shows good protection although marginal visc after 6,000 miles of shear. Just our experience.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Option

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpepper View Post
    Hi...Getting ready to change the oil in my 2011 Rts se5. Was thinking of using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. Has anyone used this oil? Recommendations? Thanks.
    In my 2011 RT LTD I use Castrol 06113 Power1 5W-40 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MISDII?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I get my filters from BajaRon.
    It's been an awesome choice.
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

There are a number of owners on SL who report satisfactory use of Rotella T. AeroPilot is in the bulls-eye in his report of the oil's performance. The only way a user can tell how oil is performing is through analysis.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Should be fine.

A really LOT of bike owners use it in a wide variety of machines.

The exact kind of oil you use really is not THAT important.

Spyder Garage

I use Valvoline 4T Stroke Full Synthetic oil in my 2010 RT. I get it at Advance Auto for $6.99/quart and it has worked great. It has the 2nd lowest amount of moly with Amsoil being the lowest. I used Amsoil one year and while it worked good also, I had to add more oil throughout the season. I don't have to add that much using the Valvoline. Not sure if it was coincidence or what but mine seems to burn more Amsoil.

As far as the Rotella goes, some have used it but I would stay away from anything with a SM rating on it. The early clutches don't like the slippage that it causes.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

I would recommend against using a Rotella oil in an SE5 Spyder. Great oil. But it will probably slip your clutch.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would recommend against using a Rotella oil in an SE5 Spyder. Great oil. But it will probably slip your clutch.
    I have been using Rotella 6T full synthetic 5w40 for for 10,000+ miles and no clutch slippage yet. It also has a JASO MA2. Zinc level is 1257 ppm. I also used Rotella 4T for many years in various motorcycles and no problems,but that is not a synthetic oil.

I also use Valvoline 4T 10w40 it is a very good oil. My next oil change will be with this oil. I also like Royal Purple Max Cycle. I have used it once and it seemed to do well easy shifting. YMMV
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 01-23-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the clutch in a Spyder different than other bikes with a wet clutch ?

If not, then THOUSANDS of other bike owners would beg to differ with your recommendation.

Spyder Garage

Rotella T6 does not meet the requirements as stated in your owners manual. From personal experience it can cause the clutch to slip. There are lots of choices. Pick something else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Is the clutch in a Spyder different than other bikes with a wet clutch ?

If not, then THOUSANDS of other bike owners would beg to differ with your recommendation.
    The SM5/SE5 Spyder has a very lubricant sensitive clutch and will slip with many very good oils that will otherwise work perfectly in most any other wet clutch application. The SM6/SE6 has a completely different clutch assembly and friction compounds which eliminates this issue.

Will the Rotella product make every SM5/SE5 clutch slip? I don't know. I just know several owners for which this has happened. If you catch it right away and change the oil there seems to be no problem. But many don't realize it is happening until it's too late and a new clutch has to be installed.

I didn't say DON'T DO IT! I just said I recommend against it for the reasons given.

There are a number of bullet proof, proven lubricants out there that will not have the potential to slip your SM5 or SE5 clutch. I'd recommend one of these alternatives.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Like Ron said..

I first tried the Rotella T6 on my Honda Aero wet clutch based on the recommendations of several of the posters on the Aero forum. It was a manual and I also changed out the clutch basket engagement springs to stronger Barnett springs, and its still running as far as I know (sold it to another rider at 36,000 miles).

I did read about some slipping issues on the earlier SE5 system and even though we had the manual clutch pack opted to used the BRP oil on that bike through our 76,000 mile use (traded for the 2015 SE6 RT-S. Since then we have been happy with the Rotella T6 on 3 of the 1330- SE6 bikes, but if I was to go back to the SE5, I would probably go back to the BRP oil, or maybe Amsoil. Just my 2 cents, your bike, your choice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't say DON'T DO IT! I just said I recommend against it for the reasons given.
    Thank you for the detailed response.

Very often just simply stating "Don't do it." isn't enough.
    Even if you provided a detailed explanation last year.

P.S. I personally think that trying to save a few pennies on things like oil and coolant is really not a wise thing to do.
    If you can't really afford to keep a machine up properly, you shouldn't have it in the first place.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the detailed response.

Very often just simply stating "Don't do it." isn't enough.
    Even if you provided a detailed explanation last year.

P.S. I personally think that trying to save a few pennies on things like oil and coolant is really not a wise thing to do.
    If you can't really afford to keep a machine up properly, you shouldn't have it in the first place.
    I run Rotella T6 in my 2 wheeler, and I wanted to use the same oil for both bikes but with a hit or miss in the SE5 clutches that I have read here, I just decided to stick with Amsoil. To me, the little extra in $$ just isn't worth the possible headache $$$ it could possibly cause. 2011 RTS SE5
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to all! Huge help.

I've decided to go with Valvoline or Castrol. Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've decided to go with Valvoline or Castrol. Thanks again.
    Statements like this worry me.

You MUST be sure that the oil you get is rated for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.
    IE Motorcycle specific oil.

Both those companies make a lot of oil that is NOT compatible with a wet clutch.

Spyder Garage

Default Do you save that much ?

Reading all the replies here am wondering my self how much everyone saves by getting their oil for example at an auto parts store vs the dealer. Looked up my last oil change at the dealer and the kit cost $73.00 that is of course with BRP oil. I guess I am fortunate to have my dealer 10 minutes from the house. Just wondering? Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default The big savings will be in labor and convenience If you can do it yourself

Buy whatever oil you have determined to be best for your bike OR stick with the XPS oil as certified for your bike. After the second oil change you will be a Pro, and be able to change it and learn a lot about your bike. Just keep a spreadsheet to note the dates and miles of each change and you will earn the $100 and the feeling of confidence that comes with knowledge gained through experience. Just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Default Thansk

Thanks Aero. How high do i have to lift it, will my old car ramps be tooo high? Thanks again
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Buy whatever oil you have determined to be best for your bike OR stick with the XPS oil as certified for your bike. After the second oil change you will be a Pro, and be able to change it and learn a lot about your bike. Just keep a spreadsheet to note the dates and miles of each change and you will earn the $100 and the feeling of confidence that comes with knowledge gained through experience. Just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Default Car ramps are how I do it

Ramps give you room to slide partly under and see everything, and the bike is stable on the ramps.

I usually put a sheet of cardboard or papers on the drive and get comfy with a set of 3/8 drive metric sockets.
    Check out a you tube video or two and depending on whether you have the SE5 or SM5 manual tranny, you will have one filter cartridge or two. As many have said make sure you tap the sockets into the drain plugs to seat them, and then pay attention to the cap screws holding the filters on, which go back in each place. I forget what the torque was on our 2011 RT SM-5, just take your time and be easy with the little metric bolts.

Spyder Garage

Statements like this worry me.

You MUST be sure that the oil you get is rated for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.
    IE Motorcycle specific oil.

Both those companies make a lot of oil that is NOT compatible with a wet clutch.
    and they also make a lot of oil that is. All their oils labeled 4T are for motorcycles. Posts #4 and #7 tell which oils are recommended for wet clutches

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default One more question

Sorry guys but being knew to the spyder world. When changing oil does everyone change the tranny/clutch filter at the same time.
    Thanks again guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Default keep on track !

to save a little money , would not be so go if in the future you have to say " I should have used , or I could have used " and saved big money on repair !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Sorry guys but being knew to the spyder world. When changing oil does everyone change the tranny/clutch filter at the same time.
    Thanks again guys

Dave
    Follow BRP's recommendations in your owners manual or revised maintenance schedule issued in 2012. Change the HCM filter (trans filter) every oil change.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9z...ew?usp=sharing

2018 F3 LIMITED