Thread: Dan Ward

Spyder Garage

Default Dan Ward

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum--this is my second post. I have a question regarding my 2014 Spyder RT-S with SE6 trans. I have ridden the Spyder about 2k miles so far. I'm coming off a GL1800 Goldwing. I usually ride 2 up with my wife onboard. I have noticed that on some curves at higher speeds--say 45 to 60mph--that " It feels like the rear of the Spyder is sliding a bit. For instance, if you are going around a left hand curve, the rear wheel is sliding to the right just a little---in other words it's fishtailing out just like a car would (ahh to be young again). It has never has slid out on me ---it just feels like it might. Has anyone noticed this on their Spyder? Is this normal for a Spyder to do this? I realize this is a very subjective question, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what everyone thought. One of the reasons I ask is I bought the Spyder used and it has a non OEM rear tire. I looked it up and it gets good reviews. It is a Yokohama S Drive tire. Penny for everybody's thoughts

Regards---Dan

Spyder Garage

Welcome. The 1st thing I would check is tire pressure. Try 18-20 psi and see what happens. You likely are over pressure for that tire.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Not only can you check your rear tire pressure, check the airbag pressure under the seat. Even though you might have the airbag adjustment button below your handlebars, it can be excessively low. My (new to me) '13 RTL felt loose when I bought it back in '16, eventually found the airbag was below 30 PSI. Used a cordless digital airpump (From Lamonster) and set it at 50lbs. changed the way the bike felt.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sliding feeling

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Not only can you check your rear tire pressure, check the airbag pressure under the seat. Even though you might have the airbag adjustment button below your handlebars, it can be excessively low. My (new to me) '13 RTL felt loose when I bought it back in '16, eventually found the airbag was below 30 PSI. Used a cordless digital airpump (From Lamonster) and set it at 50lbs. changed the way the bike felt.
    with both above posters .... An Over-inflated tire is more likely to cause sliding than one that has a lower psi ...... Also on filling the Air Bag ...if you do it manually - like from a compressor be very careful ..... that bag is small and can easily be overfilled and damaged ................................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above....

There you have it....the tire is a good one... but it is a car tire so pressure is one problem as the spyder is a tad lighter. The shock is the other...
    But...first of all Welcome to the 🎪 glad you jumped on in...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

YES, a hardy Welcome to the the Spyder Forum. All good TIPS.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing I noticed on our RT that if the pressure was above about the halfway point on the air ryde indicator, it put the rear end up higher and made it harder to handle on curves. Just another thought...

Spyder Garage

Default Air Pressure ?

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Welcome. The 1st thing I would check is tire pressure. Try 18-20 psi and see what happens. You likely are over pressure for that tire.
    Is the air pressure different on the Yokohama tires, than on the BRP Stock tires? I'm looking at car tires for my next change out.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

and on your ryde. I have one of them.

Once you get the tire pressure thing solved--you might try the following when riding the twisties:

Enter a curve at such a speed that you can accelerate rather than needing braking to slow down.

Plant the outside foot on the floorboards. Lean slightly into the curve. Grab the tank with your knees. The "g" forces will diminish considerably. Your passenger should mimic your movements.

You will find that you can exceed posted by 20 mph or so--without "nanny" coming on or getting the feeling its going to slide out.

My line of drive on most curves is from the inside to the outside.
    Don't overdrive your skill level. If you are crossing the center line and going into the oncoming lane--you are going to fast.

Hope this helps.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    eventually found the airbag was below 30 PSI. Used a cordless digital airpump (From Lamonster) and set it at 50lbs. changed the way the bike felt.
    I bet it did. Since the minimum "bag" pressure is around 7 pounds.

Are you SURE that it is designed to operate with a pressure that high ??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PSI for Car tires

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    Is the air pressure different on the Yokohama tires, than on the BRP Stock tires? I'm looking at car tires for my next change out.
    Both myself and Peter Aawen recommend 17 to 18 psi in any Auto tire for the rear ...... The fronts will work best at about 15psi ...... An Auto tire is much stronger than the Kenda's, and is designed to carry much more weight ..... So the tires need much less pressure to operate at their best ....wet & dry ................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Daniel Ward

I hope I am replying to this thread correctly---I guess if everyone can read it it's ok ?

Anyway---Thanks to all for your input ! It helps a lot. I had 28 lbs of air in the the rear Yokohama tire. I think I must have put what the manual said, but it never occurred to me that it should be lower because it was a car tire. I will check the bladder and adjust to BRP specs being careful not to over inflate. The tire was on the Spyder when I bought it and I did not know it was a non OEM tire until I got it home. I notice other Spyder riders seem to like it, and it looks almost brand new. I just had a 3 wheel laser alignment so I would like to get my use out of it. I need to get everything up to snuff because we are planning a 5000 mile trip this summer. We will be leaving Dayton, Ohio heading west to the Yellowstone area. This is a great forum--Thanks to all---Regards---Dan

Spyder Garage

Default 5000 mile to jellystone

that is a big ride , if you have not looked ahead on this trip , might be able to link up with other spyders along the way , some where other side of Illinois and other stops for rest as you go ... get points of interest , and emergency contacts if needed ... just a thought ( for your 2 cents )

Spyder Garage

Default To be Young Again

​Is it a 15-20 mpg curve?
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel up when you get a chance....

Usually the Interstates have convenient gas stops, but be wary when crossing Wyoming on I-25 or 70 as the stops can be more than 100 miles apart and your 2013 drinks a little more gas especially at high speeds and/or into the wind. I remember "sweating it" when we didn't fuel at KayCee, WY.... it was a long way to Casper. Beautiful country, lots to see in NW Wyoming.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Usually the Interstates have convenient gas stops, but be wary when crossing Wyoming on I-25 or 70 as the stops can be more than 100 miles apart and your 2013 drinks a little more gas especially at high speeds and/or into the wind. I remember "sweating it" when we didn't fuel at KayCee, WY.... it was a long way to Casper. Beautiful country, lots to see in NW Wyoming.
    He mentioned that he has a 2014 RTS which should have the 1330 engine so he wouldn't have the same fuel concerns as with the 2013 998 - correct?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    He mentioned that he has a 2014 RTS which should have the 1330 engine so he wouldn't have the same fuel concerns as with the 2013 998 - correct?
    The 1330 should have a 200 mile range with a bit to spare.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-02-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yes the 1330 will greatly improve the range on your trip

I dont know where I got the idea of the 2013. One of the great advantages of the 1330 platform when touring
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 1330 should have a 200 mile range with a bit to spare.
    Not when crossing Montana or Wyoming at 80 MPH interstate speeds. We started looking for fuel around the 120-150 mile mark. I didn't feel safe going slower because even at 80 MPH in the slow lane I was getting passed by triples doing close to a ton.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Welcom aboard

Enjoy that ryde and welcome to the forum, lots of good people and information here.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Not when crossing Montana or Wyoming at 80 MPH interstate speeds. We started looking for fuel around the 120-150 mile mark. I didn't feel safe going slower because even at 80 MPH in the slow lane I was getting passed by triples doing close to a ton.
    I agree. My wife plans a trip for us each summer. Usually 5-7 weeks on the road. We make every attempt to stay off interstates and have a lot more fun. We don't ride "to get there". We ride because we like to ride. When planning your trip, Dan, look at taking secondary roads. They almost always will go where you want and you'll have time to enjoy the great scenery. Another thought, be aware that Yellowstone is absolutely choked with traffic during the tourist summer months. Going through last summer was a nightmare. Stop and go traffic due to ongoing road repairs and congestion. Very few places to park. I recommend doing Yellowstone early AM to avoid biggest crowds. Good luck and welcome
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I SHOULD HAVE ADDED THE FOLLOWING TO MY POST:

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Dan

Sounds like an awesome trip. Where you at in Dayton. We're in Miamisburg and try to get out every weekend for a ride. Unfortunately still have to work for a living. If you want to do a group ride sometime pm me.

Ryde safe, Rich and Rhonda
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more