Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer just lost all my future business

I have always thought that a professional, trained pair of eyes on my machines was a good thing once in a while. So having my oil/filter changed and the bike looked over by the dealer was something I justified. Yesterday I had an appointment to have that service done. While waiting for almost 2 hours watching that no one had even lifter a finger to service my bike, I told the service manager that I was ready to leave and to cancel my "appointment". Well that got them going and he moved my bike out of sight. He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good. Said it would save me the cost of filters and labor because panels didn't need to be removed. I OK'd this. (In hind sight, I think this was a mistake) When It came time to pay the bill, they charged a full hours labor + oil cost. After I told them that they charged one hour labor for a "full" service including filters, etc. last time, they said they NOW charge 2 hours labor for a full oil, filter job and one hour for the suck job. After I objected, they did lower their labor cost to 1/2 hour. (Actually took them about 20 minutes). When they brought my bike to the delivery place, it was covered with water which apparently came from their washing area. Service manager offered to get me a rag to wipe it down. Told him to never mind. I have my own rags. Wiped my bike down in front of him and left. He knows I was pissed. I will do my own service from now on.

Edit. The person who I thought was the Service Manager was not. He was a Service Advisor. See my later posts when I dealt with the Manager.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 01-26-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Your not doing any of us any favors unless you name the dealer. Changing oil without changing the filter is like chewing your food and spitting it out. I would never recommend this. You change the filter to drain "all" oil and any metal contaminants not to mention the acid build up in both the oil and filter.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

I'm surprised they even do that at a dealer.. the whole idea is to remove the drain plugs so the residue at the bottom drains out and the magnetic plug shows them things are not wearing out or breaking up. I would not have my oil sucked out the dipstick nor do it myself. I do my own and always have. Dealer does the break in service that's it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Two hours is pretty much the going rate at just about any dealer for a "full" oil change, that is, removing panels, draining - not sucking - the oil out from both the engine & transmission, new filters, O rings, crusch washers, all labor, etc. Hourly rates vary wildly from dealer to dealer. Parts are pretty much the same at any dealer.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS FIASCO FROM THE STEALER

.... I also have an RT with the 1330 engine .... I also do ALL my maintenance ..... I really cannot believe how sucking the oil out the filler tube is faster than just removing the two drain plugs ......Those drains aren't covered or hidden by ANY panels .....and as was said above getting the crap out with a suction device isn't going to happen ....... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No idea if this was good or bad, but I just had the oil changed on my new (2017) RT at the dealer a week ago. The total was $188, which included $73 for the "Spyder Oil Change Kit" (included oil, filter and whatever other parts they needed), $90 for one (1) hour labor, plus tax and some other fees.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default WOW ! clock watching

sounds like they clock watched the hours slip by , and gave the savings to you ! if your cycle is like the 990 , the oil is in the reservoir , and gets pulled through the engine from there , if they tell you " suck the oil from there " where the 990 oil dip stick is , you left a lot of oil in the engine ... { saved the cycle dealer guys --- 1 oil filter --- O-rings --- and 4 quarts of oil }

Spyder Garage

in mobile al they get $350 for oil change

Spyder Garage

Default YGBFSM!

If any Spyder dealership said they were going to change my oil by sucking it out of the dipstick hole without changing the oil filter or checking the magnetic plug, I would have simply said: YGBFSM! (You Gotta Be ing itting Me!). Then I would have asked for my ride back and ran like hell.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    No idea if this was good or bad, but I just had the oil changed on my new (2017) RT at the dealer a week ago. The total was $188, which included $73 for the "Spyder Oil Change Kit" (included oil, filter and whatever other parts they needed), $90 for one (1) hour labor, plus tax and some other fees.
    That was a good price. There are 2 very close dealers to me, and they actually vary quite a bit. My oil change is normally around $220-240. I have a friend that has purchased all his bikes from them, and he pays $200, while I have another friend that they quoted $340 for the same oil change on his F3, and he actually bought it from that dealer.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Your not doing any of us any favors unless you name the dealer. Changing oil without changing the filter is like chewing your food and spitting it out. I would never recommend this. You change the filter to drain "all" oil and any metal contaminants not to mention the acid build up in both the oil and filter.

Jack
    Is it We Ride Powersports in Mesa? Or Ridenow in Chandler? Pretty easy to call them out since BRP doesn't have a vast dealer network.

Any dealer or non-dealer that tells me they'll change the oil by sucking it out of the dipstick will immediately be seeing my tail lights.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have always thought that a professional, trained pair of eyes on my machines was a good thing once in a while. So having my oil/filter changed and the bike looked over by the dealer was something I justified. Yesterday I had an appointment to have that service done. While waiting for almost 2 hours watching that no one had even lifter a finger to service my bike, I told the service manager that I was ready to leave and to cancel my "appointment". Well that got them going and he moved my bike out of sight. He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good. Said it would save me the cost of filters and labor because panels didn't need to be removed. I OK'd this. (In hind sight, I think this was a mistake) When It came time to pay the bill, they charged a full hours labor + oil cost. After I told them that they charged one hour labor for a "full" service including filters, etc. last time, they said they NOW charge 2 hours labor for a full oil, filter job and one hour for the suck job. After I objected, they did lower their labor cost to 1/2 hour. (Actually took them about 20 minutes). When they brought my bike to the delivery place, it was covered with water which apparently came from their washing area. Service manager offered to get me a rag to wipe it down. Told him to never mind. I have my own rags. Wiped my bike down in front of him and left. He knows I was pissed. I will do my own service from now on.
    Please name the dealer so I can avoid if in your area. Thx

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hi canamjhb,

Re: He convinced me that just sucking the oil out the dip stick tube and replacing it was OK as long as the oil looked good.

Until about 15 yrs ago, I had never heard of such a thing; 'sucking the oil out.'

Back then a friend's son worked in one of those auto quicky oil change places. He is the one who told me about this 'sucking' procedure.

Personally, I believe that we all get to do what we want with whatever we own. Because of this, I am not going to tell you what to do.

However, if it were me, I would go right back to the dealer, pay the costs for a complete oil change and never go back. Alternatively, find a different dealer; or maybe some independent motorcycle shop to do your oil changes.

Oil changes on my '08 engine are not so complex that anyone with mechanical skills cannot do it. That is why I recommend possibly finding that independent m/c shop to do it. You can buy everything you need for an oil change from BajaRon and take it to the shop of your choice.

That service mgr is beyond believeable.

Jerry Bumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

That's JUST NOT RIGHT. Do us all a favor and TELL us the dealer/State.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Is it We Ride Powersports in Mesa? Or Ridenow in Chandler? Pretty easy to call them out since BRP doesn't have a vast dealer network.

Any dealer or non-dealer that tells me they'll change the oil by sucking it out of the dipstick will immediately be seeing my tail lights.
    If you look/read here you will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING positive about a RideNow dealership.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike1952 View Post
    in mobile al they get $350 for oil change
    That is pretty much the "going" rate. I don't mind spending the money at my dealer because I know everything gets done properly. Unfortunately, I am mechanically challenged so need help from the dealer when it comes to servicing the

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for naming the dealer. I would consider it as a public service to the rest of the members here.

The "suck" job is a perfect indicator that the dealer also "sucks."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Changing just the oil without changing the filters does not comply with the warranty requirements. Plus, as stated above. It's not a good idea. Sad....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default arizona area

if you folks in this area go too one of the cycle shops ask about oil sucking from the dip stick , this will give you an idea of who it is ...

Spyder Garage

canamjhb, Sorry to hear you got such treatment, they don't deserve your patronage.
    FYI, It's really not that hard to change the oil and filter yourself, I get my filter kit's from BajaRon and buy two kits at once. I get my Full synthetic oil (with appropriate ratings) from Amazon and know that I've got good filters and oil in the bike. It takes me longer to get up from the garage floor than draining the oil. (I'm 60 and not skinny).
    Last edited by DGoebel; 01-20-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I have not had any good experience with Ride Now Power Sports so did not go there. We Ride Power Sports is about 2 miles from my home. That particular dealership has changed their name (and presumably ownership) 3 times in the last 10 years. The newest being in the last 10 months. There are only 2 people in the entire dealership that I recognize from the previous owner/name. Pretty chaotic in the entire store. What they were able to do in one hour last May now earns them 2 hours billing time.....? They charge $2.00 per minute. I will do my own from now on.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Suck job was right. And that particular chain of dealerships wonders why they have a bad reputation for service.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have not had any good experience with Ride Now Power Sports so did not go there. We Ride Power Sports is about 2 miles from my home. That particular dealership has changed their name (and presumably ownership) 3 times in the last 10 years. The newest being in the last 10 months. There are only 2 people in the entire dealership that I recognize from the previous owner/name. Pretty chaotic in the entire store. What they were able to do in one hour last May now earns them 2 hours billing time.....? They charge $2.00 per minute. I will do my own from now on.
    So (to be sure)the name of the "SUCK" dealer is We Ride Power sports Mesa AZ correct??
    Last edited by Bfromla; 01-21-2018 at 05:34 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Another sad story of a poor service or sales experience.

For some thoughts on a possible solution/response see:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...77#post1330677
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    So (to be sure)the name of the "SUCK" dealer is We Ride Power sports Mesa AZ correct??
    https://www.weridepowersports.com/
    2014 RTL Platinum