Spyder Garage

Default New videos from BRP

BRP has released some new videos for new gauge display and BRP Connect. For 2018 models.

User Experience
    https://youtu.be/QzOQLMflegg

On Road Navigation
    https://youtu.be/Y5ktPeYSkGY

BRP Connect App
    https://youtu.be/b4lUx3CtUL0

BRP Connect Setup
    https://youtu.be/zKO24dsghV8
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-19-2018 at 09:14 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Another one for audio.

https://youtu.be/ZUKsBQ8n664

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Gauge overview
    https://youtu.be/z9hXg8R122I

BRP Connect Overview
    https://youtu.be/9lw55pPmj9c

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So now your saying I will have to take a course in order to understand the new gauges and panel? Nothing like being user friendly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Will take a day off to view all the videos you collected... does seem like a lot of fun ,cool stuff if your not flying down the highway..I seldom look down at the instrument panel
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's the BRP Connect web page. https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/techno...ect.html/#apps

No mention at all about optional XM or CB. Looks like they're gone. They aren't listed as an available accessory on the build pages for 2018. Interestingly though, the iPod integration cable is listed as an accessory for both the 2017 and 2018 RT's.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-20-2018 at 02:22 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What if you don't have a smartphone ??
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

You will not get the GPS or whatever else the phone is needed for.

Bob did go and get himself a smartphone for his upcoming 2018.

Of course, for GPS, you could always mount a Garmin or similar on your Spyder.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree mounting a standalone GPS would be the easy solution to get GPS without a smartphone.

You could also get an old smartphone from someone that has upgraded to a new one. Don't put a sim card in it so you would not have to pay for phone service. From what I can tell the preferred GPS app uses preloaded maps and that can be done with wi-fi.

Up to date weather would not work or any functions or apps that need up to date data.

I also commented in another thread that I thought that a small tablet instead of a smartphone could be used. It appears that may be incorrect. The BRP Connect app looks at what type of device it is install on. According to the FAQs.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

As far as I can tell, the Genius Maps app that BRP is using for GPS does not allow programming of routes, only destinations. You cannot load a route for a group ride or preferred route to a destination. It requires letting the app route to the requested destination via fastest or shortest route. This is a VERY limiting missing feature that Garmin and TomTom users have become accustomed to for group rides. That one feature is why I gave up Android Auto for use on the bike as its useless for motorcycle travel as a result.

BRP limiting users to the miniscule number of apps in its walled garden is going to severely limit what this system is useful for. I predict most that buy 2018s will end up with a garmin mounted on the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    As far as I can tell, the Genius Maps app that BRP is using for GPS does not allow programming of routes, only destinations. You cannot load a route for a group ride or preferred route to a destination. It requires letting the app route to the requested destination via fastest or shortest route. This is a VERY limiting missing feature that Garmin and TomTom users have become accustomed to for group rides. That one feature is why I gave up Android Auto for use on the bike as its useless for motorcycle travel as a result.

BRP limiting users to the miniscule number of apps in its walled garden is going to severely limit what this system is useful for. I predict most that buy 2018s will end up with a garmin mounted on the bike.

I agree... I researched Genius Maps and found the same thing, no ability to create custom routes... I use the custom routes on my Garmin all the time, every trip and many day rides I take.....
    I have been using the Rever mapping for custom routes, seems to work better for me then Basecamp.....
    I corresponded by email with a Rever tech about their app on BRP connect.... he said at this time, using their app on BRP connect, there is no availability for custom routes and no audio directions for point to point selection.... He said perhaps in BRP's future, no timetable though !!!!!!!
    I am going to stay with my Garmin, the ability to create custom routes is an important feature for me....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    I agree... I researched Genius Maps and found the same thing, no ability to create custom routes... I use the custom routes on my Garmin all the time, every trip and many day rides I take.....
    I have been using the Rever mapping for custom routes, seems to work better for me then Basecamp.....
    I corresponded by email with a Rever tech about their app on BRP connect.... he said at this time, using their app on BRP connect, there is no availability for custom routes and no audio directions for point to point selection.... He said perhaps in BRP's future, no timetable though !!!!!!!
    I am going to stay with my Garmin, the ability to create custom routes is an important feature for me....
    Several other nav apps are available on mySpin, the Bosch system that is the heart of BRP Connect. Maybe what needs to be done is for the SL community to come to a consensus of which two or three you would like to see on BRP Connect and start lobbying those developers to do the necessary adaptation for BRP Connect. I use Sygic. It works pretty good. Is it the best? I don't know, but it works for me!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Several other nav apps are available on mySpin, the Bosch system that is the heart of BRP Connect. Maybe what needs to be done is for the SL community to come to a consensus of which two or three you would like to see on BRP Connect and start lobbying those developers to do the necessary adaptation for BRP Connect. I use Sygic. It works pretty good. Is it the best? I don't know, but it works for me!

Are you able to create custom routes with Sygic????? If so, I will give it a try.....

Spyder Garage

There has been several post regarding Genius Maps not being "Good"! I thought that as well and given the lack of instructions for a beginner, what else would you expect?

I learned by accident that you can set destinations by touch in Genius Maps, I'm using a 4 year old LG2, and I set destinations by intersections. Just expand the screen to the point you want to go to, touch and hold your finger for two seconds and it will bring up the menu to add the destination. Back roads or interstate, it does not mater. I've added as many as 9 points in a trip just by touching the screen. I like the distance to the next gas stop feature when I'm exploring strange roads. But then I'm getting 35-37 MPG so its a long time between fill ups.

Now if I could just get the turn by turn audio in my helmet, I'd be pretty happy.

2018 RTL, Dash software is 13.02!
    2018 RT , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Will take a day off to view all the videos you collected... does seem like a lot of fun ,cool stuff if your not flying down the highway..I seldom look down at the instrument panel
    Driver/rider distraction can be a bear, and the engineer's continue with their 'fun' job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavo View Post
    There has been several post regarding Genius Maps not being "Good"! I thought that as well and given the lack of instructions for a beginner, what else would you expect?

I learned by accident that you can set destinations by touch in Genius Maps, I'm using a 4 year old LG2, and I set destinations by intersections. Just expand the screen to the point you want to go to, touch and hold your finger for two seconds and it will bring up the menu to add the destination. Back roads or interstate, it does not mater. I've added as many as 9 points in a trip just by touching the screen. I like the distance to the next gas stop feature when I'm exploring strange roads. But then I'm getting 35-37 MPG so its a long time between fill ups.

Now if I could just get the turn by turn audio in my helmet, I'd be pretty happy.

2018 RTL, Dash software is 13.02!
    Update: May 2, 2019 I just got my 20.8 software upgrade. NICE! Audio in the helmet issue is fixed and it works just fine.

I like the distance to empty display in the middle of the Gas Gauge. I'll have to test it to see how accurate it is but so far it looks to be pretty good.

Thanks BRP for staying with this issue and making it right.

Dave C.
    2018 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavo View Post
    Update: May 2, 2019 I just got my 20.8 software upgrade. NICE! Audio in the helmet issue is fixed and it works just fine.

I like the distance to empty display in the middle of the Gas Gauge. I'll have to test it to see how accurate it is but so far it looks to be pretty good.

Thanks BRP for staying with this issue and making it right.

Dave C.
    I just got the 20.8 update too, and I agree, it's really nice. Glad to see that BRP is dedicated to this. Thank you BRP!
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

I agree with ARtraveler. why can't they make the system user friendly for technically challenged people like me??????????
    BIG F