Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Static interference using power connection with Midland CB?

Thinking of getting this CB mount with power and wondering if anyone uses it and what static noise there might be? I tried powering the handheld with a power outlet and the static interference was so bad I ended up using the battery pack which lasted a few rides before the batteries went dead.

http://www.providence-spyder-accesso...s/show/7510282

I dont plan plan on using the CB often but it’s very handy when I do need it.

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hard to say without trying it.

Even my "stock" built-in CB suffers from interference noise on receive that limits it's useful range to another bike to a tad less than a mile.
    Others in my riding group seem to get about a half mile farther.....at least.

I haven't checked the grounding and harness routing yet but I'm not optimistic that it will get any better.

Edit: That is just a mount and power outlet. If you use it with the same radio as before, the performance will be no better......very likely.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

The 12V system on the Spyder is noisy as hell. It all comes through the regulator, etc.
    I solved issues but running a 12V Cig lighter adapter directly from the battery. Make sure you fuse this line. The battery itself is a great noise buffer.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember many years ago the Goldwing fix for noise is to ground the radio at multiple points. Not sure how they fixed it for future bikes. Going to have to do some research. Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I remember many years ago the Goldwing fix for noise is to ground the radio at multiple points. Not sure how they fixed it for future bikes. Going to have to do some research. Thanks
    Frame ground yes does help... But a little factoid. The ground wire from the battery to the frame is like less than a foot

It solve my Midland CB noise issues on my RT.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Sorry I left out one thing.
    The 12V run from the battery to the dash is using a shielded cable that I grounded the shield to frame on both ends.
    I just did it that way knowing the engine noise and the fact the cable runs past the engine.
    I did not try without the shielded cable so don't know if you need it or not.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I understand. A shielded positive wire (where the shield is grounded) along with a negative to the power outlet. Will definitely look into this.

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Thinking of getting this CB mount with power and wondering if anyone uses it and what static noise there might be? I tried powering the handheld with a power outlet and the static interference was so bad I ended up using the battery pack which lasted a few rides before the batteries went dead.

http://www.providence-spyder-accesso...s/show/7510282

I dont plan plan on using the CB often but it’s very handy when I do need it.

Thanks
    My nephew used a Midland CB with the Sena SR10 adapter when we went to Homecoming last spring. Couldn't use the 12v power outlet as the static was too much. He used batteries only. A set lasted 2+ days on the road.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)