Spyder Garage

Default Long time mc rider 72 with passenger +10 years on me.

We ridden together for over 40 years with the most recent two up bikes a Yamaha FJR and a Honda Goldwing. She doesn't like the Goldwing because it locks her in between the arm rests and the trunk back rest. Given our ages and the fact that she's having more difficulty getting on/off a mc, which has to be on the side stand to mount up (can't rock a bike of the center stand once we're on it), I'm considering the possibility of a Spyder. I've rented a RT model and had no trouble with the transition, taking it for two solid hours over mountain curves at and above the limits posted. My preference is for the ST model from a riders comfort standpoint. However, I'm concerned that my passenger who is used to being passive on a mc will have a hard time adapting with only the grab handles and a backrest to hold on to to counter the centrifugal forces a Spyder would subject her to.

So, after this long preamble, I'd like to hear from older rider/passengers who came to the Spyder late in their riding careers how they handled the transition.

P.S. I've got my eye on a 2013 ST-S Limited SE with 4600 miles -- doesn't have the 2014 side panels though.

Spyder Garage

Default F3

pssssst, if you can find your way to the F3, i think both of you would be much happier.....
    some F3's are available with a rear back-rest-bucket configuration such as the GW... and the F3 is lower, and easier to mount & dismount....
    best of luck which ever way you go, and ride safely....
    welcome to SL....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Why not rent the RT again & take her for a ryde? She'll soon tell you if she feels trapped between the armrests & the back rest.... but I think the stock 'arm rests' on an RT are somewhat less restrictive than those on most GW's!! My pillion passenger wont ride with me on a GW for the same reason, but loves the RT Ltd, as do I!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A test drive with the passenger aboard will help you find the model that works for you.

You will like the stability of the three wheels. I would be afraid of a passenger on that heavy GW. I am also 72 but once again, riding two wheels about half the time. No passenger though.

My preference is still the RT. The ergos are different on F3--you either like them, or not. ST is just a stripped down RT with a 998 engine.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I came to the Spyder after 50 years on 2 wheels when I was 69,my wife was 64. She likes having the grab handles. I rode up the mountains near our home as often as I could for myself. For Cynthia I took her on short rides expanding out further and further as she got more comfortable. Cynthia is not a rider and it still isn't really her thing,but we have found that hauling the Spyder to an area we are going to ride works better for her.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My wife and I went to the Spyder for very similar reasons you are considering. After awhile she decided she wanted to ride the Spyder herself. I'm back on my Valkyrie and she is living a whole new experience.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I'm only 60, but ditto, whichever bike you like, if you're getting the new bike to improve the pax's comfort, you gotta test ride with your pax. I wanted an F3 but after less than an hour my wife said no way, she wanted the RTL and we got our Spyder for the both of us to enjoy long trips. I one year we did 20,000 more miles together than the previous 10 years and loved it.
    My RT is modestly improved for handling, I'll probably upgrade shocks as my next major upgrade, but I like the '13's 998 engine versus the 1330's I've tried. But that's just me.
    We each have a different "That's just RIGHT" moment and if you're getting something different for the two of you, you both gotta agree.....
    Have fun getting there though, try them all, the trying's free....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
    We ridden together for over 40 years with the most recent two up bikes a Yamaha FJR and a Honda Goldwing. She doesn't like the Goldwing because it locks her in between the arm rests and the trunk back rest. Given our ages and the fact that she's having more difficulty getting on/off a mc, which has to be on the side stand to mount up (can't rock a bike of the center stand once we're on it), I'm considering the possibility of a Spyder. I've rented a RT model and had no trouble with the transition, taking it for two solid hours over mountain curves at and above the limits posted. My preference is for the ST model from a riders comfort standpoint. However, I'm concerned that my passenger who is used to being passive on a mc will have a hard time adapting with only the grab handles and a backrest to hold on to to counter the centrifugal forces a Spyder would subject her to.

So, after this long preamble, I'd like to hear from older rider/passengers who came to the Spyder late in their riding careers how they handled the transition.

P.S. I've got my eye on a 2013 ST-S Limited SE with 4600 miles -- doesn't have the 2014 side panels though.

I'd also recommend trying out the F3L or F3T with the tail box. But you should definitely try them all out with the passenger aboard. Good luck!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Can't help....

I'm the odd one who came from a gold wing and went to an RS...no longer available. My wife loves it and is not at all interested in the RT or F3... Most wing ryders go to the RT though some have again moved to the F3...happy shopping do ryde them all with the lady as well....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

After trying for years to get my wife on the back of my 1985 Yamaha Venture (to no avail), she one day told me that she would like to go riding with me, but not on the Yamaha. She said that she would like to try one of those '3 wheeled bikes', and if we liked one, we should buy it. I'm not getting any younger, and going to 3 wheels made sense to me. But what 3 wheeler??

Worked with a buddy who owned an F3, and he said it was the best thing since sliced bread. On a business trip to Des Moines, we stopped in and actually rode an RT. Ding Ding Ding - We have a winner!! We both loved the ride, the styling, the looks, the everything. A few weeks later, in Omaha, we test drove another RT. The dealer gave us a deal we couldn't refuse, and a week later, rode our 2014 RTL home.

After 40 plus years on two wheels, there was an adjustment period. But the best thing was getting out on the bike with the wife on the back. I told her once that her job from the back was to wave at all of the other bikes on the road. After watching her, however, she was so enthralled at just looking at everything going on around her, that she forgot completely about other motorcycles! "There is so much more to see on a motorcycle than riding in a car!!" she still tells me. You betcha!! Another reason to ride!!

I can think of lots of reasons to buy a Spyder, no matter what model. New, used, whatever. Get one and then go out and put some miles on it. With and/or without the SO. Take short trips, take longer ones. Go somewhere you've not gone before. Explore! Go out and have fun!!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I spent some time at a dealership yesterday morning and was able to sit on an RS, ST, F3 and several RT's. For my size and leg length, the ST and RT were the only models that were reasonably comfortable for me. The ST had a custom saddle which placed me a bit too far forward, which I don't remember from sitting on them during Cycle World motorcycle shows in the past. The RT's bars were positioned closer to me than the ST -- not sure if they can be moved out away from the rider or not.

The dealership said they would allow test rides, but not with a passenger. So, finding a rental outfit seems the only reasonable route to determine if she would find the change in ride dynamics acceptable.

All of this may be moot for the time being as I just found out last night that she's been diagnosed with a heart condition that may require surgery in the near future. Timing is everything. I'll still be following along with the forums and appreciate the input I've received.

Spyder Garage

The RTs can be fitted with Tri-Axis handlebars that are adjustable in reach and height. Yes, they are a bit pricey, as are most BRP accessories, but they can make the difference in what would be most comfortable for you and your bride. Same goes for an aftermarket seat. You should also check with other dealers, if possible, to see if you can find one that will let you take a two-up test ride. You might have to do a bit of salesmanship but you have the riding history as a strong selling point.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Heart condition ...

... and maybe surgery -- hope all goes well for you both.

72 here, coming off 20+ years on 2 wheels, and bought our Spyder a couple of years ago. Rented it for 24 hours with a view to buying. (why won't your dealer allow 2-up on test riding ??)
    We both adapted to the different ride style after about 4 hours -- now 15,000 miles later and really happy we made the switch.
    I needed to make the switch (arthritic hand and foot joints) and my Wife wanted to for safety and comfort reasons.

As mentioned before, you need to do a test ride together.

Spyder Garage

I think both of you would be happy on an RT. The older version with the 998 engine is a great choice if money is an issue. Ours is a 2012 with the 998 and have had no issues and find there is no big enough reason to change to the 1330. The year 2012 was one of there best years. I am in my 80th year and the wife is 75 and we both love to ride.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default From the passenger side of things

I rode on the back of my husband Harley and GW for many years and enjoyed it. I bought a 2014 RTS in 2014. This is my bike. But, have ridden as a passenger on too. As far as the passenger is concern, the seat is way more comfortable and stable. I never felt box in. It is also easier to get off and on too.
    But, now I'm the driver and enjoy that too.
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see that one of your 2 up bikes was a FJR, and it appears that she liked that better than the Goldwing. If that is the case, the ST might be the bike for you. Especially if you are getting it at a good deal. The ST is more like riding a sport touring bike like the FJR or kawasaki concours, than the goldwing. I know most would say the RT, and I also like the RT (especially the lower maintenance cost on the 1330). But if your wife is happy on the FJR, I think she will like the ST. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks again to all who've posted replies suggesting the positives of the ST and RT. Also, it's good to see that there are those in their 70's and 80's still enjoying the riding experience. My father rode motorcycles into his mid 90's so there's hope for the future.

Spyder Garage

Little different opinion here. We went to the spyder thinking it was the answer but my bride never could get comfortable. She always felt she was getting pitched off the side. I added armrests and a RDL seat but still no joy. After 15k miles on the RTL we sold it and went back to a wing. I'm pretty sure if I had rented one for a long weekend I would not have bought one. If you want to test ride with a passenger head south to Sublimity Oregon(Salem area) and they will let you take one for a long ride and will make you a good deal.

Spyder Garage

Default switch to a Spyder?

Similar story here. I'm 77 and have ridden since my teens. The ladyfriend (74) is a darn good two-up 2-wheel passenger, and a total curve junkie. We've ridden in most of the states and provinces, and wouldn't take enything for the memories we've created.

Three years ago, following extensive ankle surgery for me, we bought an RT-Limited, then an F3, (10,000 miles on each lf those bikes), but couldn't get mutually comfortable. Definitely less of an "I'm getting flung off in the curves" feeling with the F3, but I need to stand on the pegs to stretch my knees or when going over rough spots, and the F3 doesn't make that easy.

Tried an ST. Much mo bettah from the ergonomiocs standpoint, but --- still not a "bike."

This past fall, after three years with Can-Am's, I bought a 2012 Suzuki DL650 adventure bike, similar to the four previous Wee-Stroms we've owned.
    Oh damn; there's just no feeling like actually leaning in a curve again! My weakened ankle has gotten stronger, so we'll be doing some serious riding on the 'Strom this summer.

We still have the ST in the garage, but it's going to be hard justifying the expense of keeping something we'll probably use very little. Maybe pulling a trailer when on trips involving boring roads......?

Sorry for any toes my personal experience/feelings may step on, but this is definitely a Your Mileage May Vary thread. Good luck to everyone finding the machine that puts a smile on your face.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Motoswami,

Thanks for sharing your experience. During the past several weeks I've had the opportunity to take my passenger out on several rides on the Spyder. Not much love from her for it. Her comment -- it just doesn't "flow" like the motorcycle. She said she can't easily see around me to know how to set up for a curve and thus she's wrapping her arms around the back rest and then gripping the hand rails -- problem is that now she's trying to hold herself upright instead of being able to lean into the corner (which she can't seem to anticipate even though I lean).