Spyder Garage

Angry Center 4 7mm Handlebar Bolts won't budge, Help!

Hi, I just tried to install a Techmount for my GPS onto the two bottom 7mm original brp hex bolts on the center of the handlebar. I used a socket wrench with extension and a 7mm socket, I'm a strong women but those bolts just won't budge. It's like their welded on. How do you guys get these damn bolts off? I watched videos on YouTube and they have no trouble getting them off, so,what's up with mine? Do I have to buy a torque wrench to remove these and if so what size?

Spyder Garage

Probably BRPs infamous locktite issue again. No a torque wrench won't help, unless the handle is much longer than what you are using. Better off getting a breaker bar (long non-ratcheting handle) for your socket. Or use a long piece of tubing slipped over the handle of your ratchet wrench, I use my floor jack handle.

One other trick, try to TIGHTEN the bolt...just a little, it'll sometimes break the seal on the locktite then you can back it off.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Just need a little more umph . Those bolts have lock-tite on them .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I hear you! I bunged up 2 of the bolt heads when my Allen head slipped out. Make sure that you are keeping the breaker bar perpendicular to the bolt
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Default Try this

usually putting the wrench, allen, torx or socket, and hit it with a hammer a few times will help break up the locktite. An impact driver would be best but not many have one at home...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I snapped two Craftsman 7mm hex bits off like twigs trying to get those handlebar bolts off using a long handled heavy duty breaker wrench. When I finally got them off they each had about 1/2 tube of yellow thread locker on them. Don't feel bad, it's not a woman/guy thing.....they are a pain in the ***.

Spyder Garage

good advice here
    breaker bar works, but like chupaca said-give a tap to tighten, then pull like hell to loosen
    they are tighter than the hinge on my wallet

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. Perhaps they should train the installers in how to un-install the bolts. They may end up using a bit less of that locktite.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Put your Hip into It

I stood on the left side of the bike with my left hip bracing the bars to keep them from twisting while I torqued on the bolts with a ratchet and long extension. Keep the bit down in the head of the bolt. I didn't need it, but I also laid a couple of microfiber towels on the "tank" just in case anything slipped. Years of working on my own gear have made me wise.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tight Bolts

ALL GOOD TIPS. Spyder Locktite Can/Usually is an Issue for most service.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue