Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest Drag Races...

Lets get drag racing back! It was brought back briefly at the Ozark Park Raceway and then the Fairgrounds.

To do it safely and have a proper race timer, Ozark Park Raceway is the way to go.

May 4th & 5th, Friday and Saturday, they have have big money racing. That leaves us May 3rd, Thursday, for test and tune. If we get enough people interested, I'll talk to Ozark Park to find out if May 3rd is available.

Ozark Park has a food shack with outstanding hotdogs and burgers.

It will be test and tune only, which is running your Spyder down the track as fast as yon. No competition, no trophies, just the fun of riding down the track.

Hope to get enough people interested to make this possible.
    Last edited by Yazz; 01-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I'm in

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Hope there are enough

Should be interesting. Can't be there myself but would like to hear the stories and maybe see some results...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Quickest times?

Out of curiosity... what’s the quickest time we’ve heard of for a spyder in the quarter?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drag Race

Sounds Good.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Out of curiosity... what’s the quickest time we’ve heard of for a spyder in the quarter?
    Here's Setho and Docdoru going at it (members/former members of SL's):

Here's the best time of that day:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post129727

Spyder Garage

Default I’m in!

If they let me!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Here's Setho and Docdoru going at it (members/former members of SL's):

Here's the best time of that day:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post129727
    That brings back some memories. Both ended up getting engines replaced eventually. Not a result of the drag racing but continued high speed/high rev. operation.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-18-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I guess you already know I'm willing.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Lets get drag racing back! It was brought back briefly at the Ozark Park Raceway and then the Fairgrounds.

To do it safely and have a proper race timer, Ozark Park Raceway is the way to go.

May 4th & 5th, Friday and Saturday, they have have big money racing. That leaves us May 3rd, Thursday, for test and tune. If we get enough people interested, I'll talk to Ozark Park to find out if May 3rd is available.

Ozark Park has a food shack with outstanding hotdogs and burgers.

It will be test and tune only, which is running your Spyder down the track as fast as yon. No competition, no trophies, just the fun of riding down the track.

Hope to get enough people interested to make this possible.
    I don't want to race, but I'd love to watch you all.

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    If they let me!
    "they?" ???? Don't you mean if Ann lets you race her F3?

Or do you want to race your 2-wheeler?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

If they let me!
    I know at the Fairgrounds they didn't let two-wheelies race because of the track conditions. There were dips and broken sections that looked like puzzle pieces, it didn't look safe for bikes to race on. You were not the only one turned away.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    That brings back some memories. Both ended up getting engines replaced eventually. Not a result of the drag racing, but continued high speed/high rev. operation. Both liked red-lining and posted a lot about it.
    Both DocDuru and SethO are my friends so I tread lightly, but truthfully. Doc put a turbo in his GS and did have some engine replacements and I honestly don't remember Seth swapping engines. He did get a new RS and his old GS is still spanking the drags.

Both these guys had GSs. Those Spyders love high rpm. There is a power curve with the engine and for a GS, around 7k rpm is prime. Go higher rpm than that and you're slowing down. BahaRon can explain it better than I can.

Neither liked red-lining, they liked going fast and knew how to do it well. Probably out of Doc and Seth, I probably red-line the most.

My GS has dual Two Bros. We go to Harley events and who-ever has the loudest pipes win. I rev limit freely...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

One of the posts from 8/2011

Something Is Rotten in the Spyder engine
    RS2008 SM5 with 129K miles under BRP Best Warranty:
    Original Rotax 990 engine quit suddenly September 2010 with 87K mileson the Salt Flats during the 130 miles/hour attempt (front and back pistons melted) tacking out the turbine from the Aerocharge Turbo; all maintenance done in the service including valve check 6, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72 and 84K, shimmed at 48K. See BOSSWeb.

Second Rotax 990 2010 engine stalls unexpectedly at 42K miles during the 2011 Spyder Triangle Event 20 miles NE from Reno, NV on the highway (previous oil change done under 2,800 mile in NY state). All maintenance done in the service including valve check 12 (99), 24 (111) and 36K (123K). See BOSSWeb.
    If the first incident was an accident, the second was a coincidence and I do not believe it. So I called Rotax (Austria), Aerocharge and Aprilia (Germany and US):
    1. The Aerocharge Turbo: dial in at 12-14 fuel/air ratio; no other turborized engines melt down.
    2. Rotax 990 OEM non-forged (cast) pistons: unanimously they need to get replace from any Spyder that supposed to run long time under full throttle; already they are many other owners with the non-turbo engine failure.
    3. Fuel management- fuel pump and injectors: according to Aprilia engineers, the Spyder have the tendency to lean in long full throttle instances due to lack of fuel (fuel pump and/or injectors).
    BRP did not cover the warranty on the first engine; paid cash for the second engine (full list price) and engine installation (swap 3 times, still full list price). According to BRP: because the second engine was cash purchased, carry no warranty, despite the purchase and installation in a BRP authorized dealer. Spyder transportation, rental cars or plane tickets were not covered either.

The Bosses reply:

"Well Doc I would agree with you if I didn't know the rest of the story and hadn't seen how you drive. I think you got exceptional mileage out of your first motor seeing you rode it as hard as you do and then put a turbo on it with stock pistons at 80K or so. I told you that was not going last long and to be honest it lasted way longer than I thought it would. How many miles did you drive it at first with no air filter on it because it kept falling off? Not only that but the air filter is now outside of the bike where the tire throws up dirt right into it.

So the second motor you ran 3 quarts low on oil on a 4 quart motor when it blew and you want to blame Rotax on that? When you ride that hard for that long with a turbo with stock pistons you're going to get some blow-by, that's why they have a catch can that comes with the turbo. You should have been checking you oil every 500 miles or so to see how much you are blowing by to figure out when you need to add oil, and you will need to add oil.

There is a reserve built into the injectors but anytime you're going to hold any motor full throttle for miles and miles you need to put it on the dyno and make sure your air/fuel is correct for the abuse you plan on putting it through. In your case when you put the turbo on all bets were off. This is a classic case of if you want to play you're going to pay.

Sorry Bro I love you man but there's over 30,000 Spyders out there and most of them are holding up just fine. If you want to race cross country wide open throttle you better build that motor like we talked along time ago. I've been there done that and was trying to help you save some money by doing it right. You keep throwing stock motors on a turboed bike and run it balls to the walls like you do it will blow again. "

From 2/2011

RE: Multiple engines

"I might be on engine 3
    I just called today to get my oil leak fixed again, (the water pump shaft gasket) and on the way back (it was 49 degrees up here, beautiful day for sure) I noticed some black smoke in the exhaust which sucks cause to was pulling great today.

so I listened to the engine and for the last two miles home it felt light on the throttle, my buddy put it in the trailer and it sounded fine (NOT LIKE LAST TIME) but you could smell oil more than usual.

I am hoping that it just needs a valve and cam adjustment and it was not smoking in the garage, the unknown issue is that I got some "we are almost out of gas" gas in AZ and it was popping when I was low on gas which I was not today.

I have to work till 6am get home hook up the trailer and get up at 11am drive to st cloud,dump the spyder and trailer at my main dealership that does NOT have the best wrench in MN anymore and come back to work tonight. "

I cannot find the red line comments--so will retract them.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-18-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I do think if this does happen, it should be limited to 1/8 mile runs the Spyder kinda mellows out above 80 MPH making it a little boring acceleration wise past the 1/8. Plus I have heard you have to stand on the brakes pretty hard after the 1/4 mile to may the turn around at Rodgerville.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post

I'm interested in hearing this too.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    I guess you already know I'm willing.
    Looking forward to seeing you and Miss Lily again! Watch out, I've been practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I don't want to race, but I'd love to watch you all.
    "they?" ???? Don't you mean if Ann lets you race her F3?
    Or do you want to race your 2-wheeler?
    Everybody is welcome to the event. Glad you want to come and cheer the racers on!
    It would be fun to see Joe race an F3.

I do think if this does happen, it should be limited to 1/8 mile runs the Spyder kinda mellows out above 80 MPH making it a little boring acceleration wise past the 1/8. Plus I have heard you have to stand on the brakes pretty hard after the 1/4 mile to may the turn around at Rodgerville.
    Ah MO Lee, your just being modest on the mph. Talk about standing on the brakes... at the Fairground...

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I'm interested in hearing this too.
    Scroll up and watch the video Wyliec posted. Top red numbers are time, bottom numbers are speed for a quarter mile.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    I know at the Fairgrounds they didn't let two-wheelies race because of the track conditions. There were dips and broken sections that looked like puzzle pieces, it didn't look safe for bikes to race on. You were not the only one turned away.

Both DocDuru and SethO are my friends so I tread lightly, but truthfully. Doc put a turbo in his GS and did have some engine replacements and I honestly don't remember Seth swapping engines. He did get a new RS and his old GS is still spanking the drags.

Both these guys had GSs. Those Spyders love high rpm. There is a power curve with the engine and for a GS, around 7k rpm is prime. Go higher rpm than that and you're slowing down. BahaRon can explain it better than I can.

Neither liked red-lining, they liked going fast and knew how to do it well. Probably out of Doc and Seth, I probably red-line the most.

My GS has dual Two Bros. We go to Harley events and who-ever has the loudest pipes win. I rev limit freely...
    Joy,
    You GO girl!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joy, Joe would not be racing my F3. No way. He can race his new bike if he wants
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One of the posts from 8/2011

RS2008 SM5 with 129K miles under BRP Best Warranty:
    Original Rotax 990 engine quit suddenly September 2010 with 87K mileson the Salt Flats during the 130 miles/hour attempt (front and back pistons melted) tacking out the turbine from the Aerocharge Turbo; all maintenance done in the service including valve check 6, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72 and 84K, shimmed at 48K. See BOSSWeb.

Second Rotax 990 2010 engine stalls unexpectedly at 42K miles during the 2011 Spyder Triangle Event 20 miles NE from Reno, NV on the highway (previous oil change done under 2,800 mile in NY state). All maintenance done in the service including valve check 12 (99), 24 (111) and 36K (123K). See BOSSWeb.
    If the first incident was an accident, the second was a coincidence and I do not believe it. So I called Rotax (Austria), Aerocharge and Aprilia (Germany and US):
    1. The Aerocharge Turbo: dial in at 12-14 fuel/air ratio; no other turborized engines melt down.
    2. Rotax 990 OEM non-forged (cast) pistons: unanimously they need to get replace from any Spyder that supposed to run long time under full throttle; already they are many other owners with the non-turbo engine failure.
    3. Fuel management- fuel pump and injectors: according to Aprilia engineers, the Spyder have the tendency to lean in long full throttle instances due to lack of fuel (fuel pump and/or injectors).
    BRP did not cover the warranty on the first engine; paid cash for the second engine (full list price) and engine installation (swap 3 times, still full list price). According to BRP: because the second engine was cash purchased, carry no warranty, despite the purchase and installation in a BRP authorized dealer. Spyder transportation, rental cars or plane tickets were not covered either.

The Bosses reply:

"Well Doc I would agree with you if I didn't know the rest of the story and hadn't seen how you drive. I think you got exceptional mileage out of your first motor seeing you rode it as hard as you do and then put a turbo on it with stock pistons at 80K or so. I told you that was not going last long and to be honest it lasted way longer than I thought it would. How many miles did you drive it at first with no air filter on it because it kept falling off? Not only that but the air filter is now outside of the bike where the tire throws up dirt right into it.

So the second motor you ran 3 quarts low on oil on a 4 quart motor when it blew and you want to blame Rotax on that? When you ride that hard for that long with a turbo with stock pistons you're going to get some blow-by, that's why they have a catch can that comes with the turbo. You should have been checking you oil every 500 miles or so to see how much you are blowing by to figure out when you need to add oil, and you will need to add oil.

There is a reserve built into the injectors but anytime you're going to hold any motor full throttle for miles and miles you need to put it on the dyno and make sure your air/fuel is correct for the abuse you plan on putting it through. In your case when you put the turbo on all bets were off. This is a classic case of if you want to play you're going to pay.

Sorry Bro I love you man but there's over 30,000 Spyders out there and most of them are holding up just fine. If you want to race cross country wide open throttle you better build that motor like we talked along time ago. I've been there done that and was trying to help you save some money by doing it right. You keep throwing stock motors on a turboed bike and run it balls to the walls like you do it will blow again. "

From 2/2011

"I might be on engine 3
    I just called today to get my oil leak fixed again, (the water pump shaft gasket) and on the way back (it was 49 degrees up here, beautiful day for sure) I noticed some black smoke in the exhaust which sucks cause to was pulling great today.

so I listened to the engine and for the last two miles home it felt light on the throttle, my buddy put it in the trailer and it sounded fine (NOT LIKE LAST TIME) but you could smell oil more than usual.

I am hoping that it just needs a valve and cam adjustment and it was not smoking in the garage, the unknown issue is that I got some "we are almost out of gas" gas in AZ and it was popping when I was low on gas which I was not today.

I have to work till 6am get home hook up the trailer and get up at 11am drive to st cloud,dump the spyder and trailer at my main dealership that does NOT have the best wrench in MN anymore and come back to work tonight. "

I cannot find the red line comments--so will retract them.

The Boss told it like it is.

The second one...

2/16/11, second page...

I might be on engine 3

"just got off the phone with honda house, the front piston ring rolled on top of the piston but did not go thru the motor, they ordered all the parts and should have it together in a few weeks, I also am checking if they can put the 2011 front sprocket on it as well seeing its in the shop.

I am hoping the wrench can send me a picture."
    ----------

Have no clue on the regular maintenance on the above, but it was no engine #3.

When you're going to be riding hard, taking care of your machine is of top concern.

What I do before a long road trip or drag racing is take the Spyder down to the dealership (which I trust) and have a complete go through of everything. Lube, oil change, fluids, everything new right down to the brake pads.

When I get back, the oil is changed again and I repack the Two Bros pipes.

It all boils down to, take care of your machine and it will take care of you.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

Default Working, playing or both?

If they let me!
    Sounds like a commitment to being at Spyderfest!
    Will you be doing laser alignments while there?
    Or is this strictly a vacation?
    It's a 21 now....,BUT I like being on top
    TricLed afterburnerz gen2
    BajaRon sway bar
    F4 customs SRT 28" Clear Wide

2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Joy, Joe would not be racing my F3. No way. He can race his new bike if he wants
    The first time I raced the F3, it fishtailed all the way down. Just wanted to see Joe to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 11rtLTD View Post
    Sounds like a commitment to being at Spyderfest!
    Will you be doing laser alignments while there?
    Or is this strictly a vacation?
    Try giving Ann and Joe a PM with your questions...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

I have heard you have to stand on the brakes pretty hard after the 1/4 mile to may the turn around at Rodgerville.
    They've done some work in that area...

www.ozarkracewaypark.com/new-ozark-raceway-park-track-upgrades-2016/
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...