Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset pairing to 2 different MP3 players - can it be done?

This may be an old topic but I'm lost on this one. Situation is:

My wife and I use SENA SMH10 helmet devices to communicate thru Bluetooth setup but we each plug directly from that into our own MP3 player..... so "she doesn't need to listen to MY favorite artists" :-)) I think that description is clear. The communication Bluetooth between us works fine and has for years now.

The MP3 Players we use are both the same model (Samsung Galaxy Player5 models now a few year old but VERY GOOD UNITS, with Bluetooth and other function capabilities). I thought the other day "why are we always connecting them via a cable to the headsets....why not utilize the Bluetooth function on them too? So I tested with mine and I got it to work fine for me with my helmet. Actually a simple process it turned out

However....I can't seem to set hers up to function the same way between only hers and HER headset, and leaving mine out of the system. When I try to pair, both seem to show up on the MP3 bluetooth screen with the same unit ID of YP-G70 on the screen and only one of the two showing on the screen will actually connect to one of the helmets and MP3s....at this point actually only mine.

My initial thought is that if I can change the Device Name on one of them, that "may work". But I don't know if that is even possible without messing up the unit somehow. I don't know if this is just like "changing the name of your phone to your name or something and nothing else cares. Know what I mean?
    If changing the name would work, does anyone know where/how to do it ??

Anybody that can help me here?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hook them to the computer and turn off music sharing. We had the same problem. If that's not it, pair 1 phone and one unit while the others are off.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check that the firmware is up to date by connecting the headset to a computer. Not sure if you can pair to each other's headset but to different music players. Might check with Sena.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Might need the BRP dongle ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default got a "never used" one for sale if anybody is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Might need the BRP dongle ?
    Dealer installed and never could get it to work for me. I took it off and it's in the box along with everything "except" what ever wires were routed thru the spyder to "wherever". I just disconnected the dongle unit and left the wires in the Frunk behind the liner.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't get the updater to read my USB port (???????)

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Check that the firmware is up to date by connecting the headset to a computer. Not sure if you can pair to each other's headset but to different music players. Might check with Sena.
    I downloaded (or at least think I did) the update manager from SENA and it "appeared" to be analyzing the status, and then it said....device not found, USB not working.... or something like that. After redoing it all 3 times I gave up. These are SMH10 units with SMH10B noted on the back. This is suppose to be what you need to get the updater to work, so I don't get it !! In addition, the instructions say if it is an SMH10....just turn it on once connected to the USB. But they don't say how, seeing as you are actually in charging mode once you plug in to the USB. Really disappointed in the computer world right now, but then again, what's new about computer instructions that don't work ?? The only good news is it doesn't appear that I lost my ORIGINAL capability for intercom and also MP3 (via cable plugin but with Bluetooth turned off).

Spyder Garage

Default HMMMM...are you saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Hook them to the computer and turn off music sharing. We had the same problem. If that's not it, pair 1 phone and one unit while the others are off.
    Highwayman2013......are you saying hook the MP3s to the computer and turn off music sharing, or the headset pcs......in either case I'm not sure I know where I would turn it off. I was even thinking of deleting the Bluetooth pairing listings on the MP3s but don't see how to do that either (I do have the MP3 manual but it says nothing about deleting any "entries" that I can find. If you can spare the time, more help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    I downloaded (or at least think I did) the update manager from SENA and it "appeared" to be analyzing the status, and then it said....device not found, USB not working.... or something like that. After redoing it all 3 times I gave up. These are SMH10 units with SMH10B noted on the back. This is suppose to be what you need to get the updater to work, so I don't get it !! In addition, the instructions say if it is an SMH10....just turn it on once connected to the USB. But they don't say how, seeing as you are actually in charging mode once you plug in to the USB. Really disappointed in the computer world right now, but then again, what's new about computer instructions that don't work ?? The only good news is it doesn't appear that I lost my ORIGINAL capability for intercom and also MP3 (via cable plugin but with Bluetooth turned off).
    You turn the unit on just like you would if it was on your helmet. I'm updating my old SMH-10's right now. It's working. Ignore the CANNOT CONNECT TO THE SERVER and continue. When you get to the option screen disable A2DP and save. Both of my units have been updated.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 01-16-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Highwayman2013......are you saying hook the MP3s to the computer and turn off music sharing, or the headset pcs......in either case I'm not sure I know where I would turn it off. I was even thinking of deleting the Bluetooth pairing listings on the MP3s but don't see how to do that either (I do have the MP3 manual but it says nothing about deleting any "entries" that I can find. If you can spare the time, more help would be appreciated.
    Nope connect the headsets with the same cable you charge them with.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default Finally got it !! The firmware update that is !!

Nope connect the headsets with the same cable you charge them with.
    OK.....Got it this AM ! The problem appears to have been one I've had before and didn't think about. The USB cable I was using has more covering on the device end and doesn't always go far enough in to power a device properly. I've noticed (and these are not cheap wires) that not all have the same amount of exposed metal on the end and therefore don't always go in far enough. On some cables the protective covering on the end is also bigger than what will fit into the opening on the device. ANYWAY....a change in the cable made the firmware update work !! Appreciate your inputs along the way here.
    PS: Found out how to change the MP3's name, but still can't get music to transfer to the SMH10. When I pair I get a "media connected" from the headset speakers, but when I try and play a song I get no sound from the MP3 OR the SMH10. Gotta be a setting somewhere.....................still looking and trying things.

Spyder Garage

Be very careful of the Sena update manager I used it to update my SMH10 and it "bricked it" to explain that it said my unit was updated successfully and I need to do a factory reset I tried but could not get unit to turn on. I called Sena and after 3 days of trying with the Sena agent I was told my unit was "bricked" in other words screwed. I did an update on my wifes unit and it worked perfectly but of course now I have only one working SMH10 unit.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default I had same type concern but................

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Be very careful of the Sena update manager I used it to update my SMH10 and it "bricked it" to explain that it said my unit was updated successfully and I need to do a factory reset I tried but could not get unit to turn on. I called Sena and after 3 days of trying with the Sena agent I was told my unit was "bricked" in other words screwed. I did an update on my wifes unit and it worked perfectly but of course now I have only one working SMH10 unit.
    Spydernatic,
    I always have concerns about ANY updates for devices or programs but this appears to have worked OK for me. Both units accepted having all old pairing removed and having the intercom function reestablished. My unit is now also working at playing MY MP3 player on my headset via Bluetooth while still maintaining the separate intercom function, but I CAN'T get the same Bluetooth idea to work on my wife's headset with her MP3. Still looking for answers on possible setup or default or pairing methods.
    Thanks for your input above.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spydernatic;1329827]Be very careful of the Sena update manager I used it to update my SMH10 and it "bricked it" to explain that it said my unit was updated successfully and I need to do a factory reset I tried but could not get unit to turn on. I called Sena and after 3 days of trying with the Sena agent I was told my unit was "bricked" in other words screwed. I did an update on my wifes unit and it worked perfectly but of course now I have only one working SMH10 uniit

Mine would not turn on and using a Youtube video I replaced the battery with a new one. You do have to do some soldering, but mine works perfectly. Not bad for a $15 battery. Might want to consider trying that.

My wife and I use Sena 10's also. She has her BT connected to her phone, can answer calls and listen to music. My unit is connected to my phone and I listen to my music and make and take calls also. We are still able to communicate through the intercom. If she forgets to start hers, which occasionally happens, I can share my music with hers. It can be done. We have Samsung Galaxy 5 phones.

Spyder Garage

Spydernatic,
    I always have concerns about ANY updates for devices or programs but this appears to have worked OK for me. Both units accepted having all old pairing removed and having the intercom function reestablished. My unit is now also working at playing MY MP3 player on my headset via Bluetooth while still maintaining the separate intercom function, but I CAN'T get the same Bluetooth idea to work on my wife's headset with her MP3. Still looking for answers on possible setup or default or pairing methods.
    Thanks for your input above.
    You're getting there.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default can you tell me ..........settings on each phone/MP3 ?

[QUOTE=Roadster Renovations;1329867]
    Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    Be very careful of the Sena update manager I used it to update my SMH10 and it "bricked it" to explain that it said my unit was updated successfully and I need to do a factory reset I tried but could not get unit to turn on. I called Sena and after 3 days of trying with the Sena agent I was told my unit was "bricked" in other words screwed. I did an update on my wifes unit and it worked perfectly but of course now I have only one working SMH10 uniit

Mine would not turn on and using a Youtube video I replaced the battery with a new one. You do have to do some soldering, but mine works perfectly. Not bad for a $15 battery. Might want to consider trying that.

My wife and I use Sena 10's also. She has her BT connected to her phone, can answer calls and listen to music. My unit is connected to my phone and I listen to my music and make and take calls also. We are still able to communicate through the intercom. If she forgets to start hers, which occasionally happens, I can share my music with hers. It can be done. We have Samsung Galaxy 5 phones.
    Roadster R,
    We have Galaxy "PLAYER5" units that were not sold as phones, but MP3 players along with everything except phone call capability......as near as I can tell.
    When it shows what you are connected to on the Bluetooth screen, (on either/both headsets) do they show the same description...i.e., SENA HMS10xxxxx? Mine do. Don't know if they should. Also, and I may be wrong in what I say here but....do you "pair them" using singular pairing, i.e., as single phones one on at a time, or do you pair them using multipoint paring process? Somewhere in here may be my problem.......just don't know where yet :-))

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=teninospyder;1329907]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post

Roadster R,
    We have Galaxy "PLAYER5" units that were not sold as phones, but MP3 players along with everything except phone call capability......as near as I can tell.
    When it shows what you are connected to on the Bluetooth screen, (on either/both headsets) do they show the same description...i.e., SENA HMS10xxxxx? Mine do. Don't know if they should. Also, and I may be wrong in what I say here but....do you "pair them" using singular pairing, i.e., as single phones one on at a time, or do you pair them using multipoint paring process? Somewhere in here may be my problem.......just don't know where yet :-))
    I would think that the players would connect the same as the phones. We did have to put each headset and phone in discoverable mode for hers and then mine. It does get confusing when you have all four on at the same time. Turning off the headset we were not connecting only gave us one Sena choice to make to hook up. Once that was done, we did the same thing with the other unit, only putting the pair we worked on in the on position. After we had each phone paired with the correct Sena, they now automatically connect whenever we turn on the Senas. Hope that helps.....

Spyder Garage

Default that's what I would expect or did expect to happen, but....................

[QUOTE=Roadster Renovations;1329942]

I would think that the players would connect the same as the phones. We did have to put each headset and phone in discoverable mode for hers and then mine. It does get confusing when you have all four on at the same time. Turning off the headset we were not connecting only gave us one Sena choice to make to hook up. Once that was done, we did the same thing with the other unit, only putting the pair we worked on in the on position. After we had each phone paired with the correct Sena, they now automatically connect whenever we turn on the Senas. Hope that helps.....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK............I have done the part about one at a time, and in discoverable mode, and I hit "Scan devices", and that shows only one SENA choice and says "paired but not connected". Then if I touch the little headset by that SENA description it comes back and shows (and confirms by voice) "connected to media audio".
    Now I went to a music file and selected it on her MP3, but no sound comes out of the MP3 OR the Headset, even though the song indicates by the moving status bar, that it is playing.

any other thoughts would be appreciated, as I feel I am "really close" but I'll be "d........." if I know why one (mine) works and hers doesn't. That's what started me wondering about "multipoint pairing" as discussed in the manual.

Any more info obtained from people (like you and Highwayman2013) that are using the system the way we want to, will be greatly appreciated. I know this will get there.....before summer......hmmmmmm????????

SIMPLE ANSWER FOUND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERSERVERENCE PAYS OFF SOMETIMES
    OK.....here it is....and in advance pardon my stupidity (Not the first time I've done this) !!!

Not wanting to give up on this problem and order another clamp unit, I did everything anyone suggested and more BUT................ As usual, I didn't go back and read the fine print on every page in the manual. Partly because it is small print and is somewhat confusing anyway (ring a bell with Spyder??). SO....I down loaded the manual from the web and while looking for the pages that show various configs possible, I run into Section 11 that I had read before but didn't see the highlighted comment "NOTE: Bluetooth music is available ONLY when the MP3 jack port remains open. Please make sure the audio cable is unplugged from the clamp unit to play music by Bluetooth.

Pulled out BOTH cables, started up both helmet units, started both MP3 units, and.........as you already guessed, BOTH helmets play from their own MP3 !!!!!
    I don't drink very often anymore but..................................just maybe tonight !!!
    Last edited by teninospyder; 01-18-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: LATE UPDATE o1/18/18 AM PST

Spyder Garage

You’ve reached the limit of my knowledge. We just use our IPhones for our music. I see no advantage to using a separate device.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for your help.

You’ve reached the limit of my knowledge. We just use our IPhones for our music. I see no advantage to using a separate device.
    Maybe I should put all her music on her Samsung S7 and try that for her :-))
    Or we can just use our proven corded connections the old way !!

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should put all her music on her Samsung S7 and try that for her :-))
    Or we can just use our proven corded connections the old way !!
    Check the volume of the player and the Sena first. To be truthful, I would get a 32 gig (or bigger) micro SD card and load her songs onto the S7. The advantage she would also have would being able to make and receive calls also.
    Another thing to check on the player is to verify it is connected (on the display of the unit). Other than that you might get tech support to help you. Here is the link:

https://www.sena.com/support/help-desk/

Spyder Garage

Default Mystery may be solved....solution not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Check the volume of the player and the Sena first. To be truthful, I would get a 32 gig (or bigger) micro SD card and load her songs onto the S7. The advantage she would also have would being able to make and receive calls also.
    Another thing to check on the player is to verify it is connected (on the display of the unit). Other than that you might get tech support to help you. Here is the link:

https://www.sena.com/support/help-desk/
    All interested Spyders.........I think this AM I confirmed my final suspicion about the issue.
    Recap.........MY SENA unit works on my helmet for intercom and plays Bluetooth MP3.
    MY SENA unit works on her helmet for intercom but does not play Bluetooth MP3.
    HER SENA unit
    works on my helmet for intercom and plays Bluetooth MP3.
    Her SENA unit
    works on her helmet for intercom, and confirms connection to media audio, but does not play Bluetooth MP3.
    Conclusion........HER SENA Speaker/Microphone Clamp Unit (on the helmet) has an issue with a pin connection somewhere. Note the head assembly has had a lot of off/on in the 4 years we've had them and we never used anything but intercom before. Tried wiping the contacts with alcohol - didn't help.

So..................I guess it's the old cable routing for her (for now), unless I can find the helmet part at a reasonable price.
    AS I SAID BEFORE....I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR INPUTS AND TRYING TO HELP.
    ride or work.jpg

Spyder Garage

Only one "media" device can play at a time. You can pair 2 media devices but usually the first one that "connects" will be the only one that plays. Sometimes they may switch back and forth unwantedly. Bottom line again, you can have more than one media device paired but only one active or connected. To switch to the other media device you have to turn off one and turn on the other.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

All interested Spyders.........I think this AM I confirmed my final suspicion about the issue.
    Recap.........MY SENA unit works on my helmet for intercom and plays Bluetooth MP3.
    MY SENA unit works on her helmet for intercom but does not play Bluetooth MP3.
    HER SENA unit
    works on my helmet for intercom and plays Bluetooth MP3.
    Her SENA unit
    works on her helmet for intercom, and confirms connection to media audio, but does not play Bluetooth MP3.
    Conclusion........HER SENA Speaker/Microphone Clamp Unit (on the helmet) has an issue with a pin connection somewhere. Note the head assembly has had a lot of off/on in the 4 years we've had them and we never used anything but intercom before. Tried wiping the contacts with alcohol - didn't help.

So..................I guess it's the old cable routing for her (for now), unless I can find the helmet part at a reasonable price.
    AS I SAID BEFORE....I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR INPUTS AND TRYING TO HELP.
    ride or work.jpg
    Now that you mention this I remember I had a similar issue with my wife's head unit. I had to put some spacers (cardboard) behind the clamp unit to make connection on all the pins. Or:https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...red-microphone
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Not sure how we did it, but the wife can listen to her media through her phone and I can listen to my media (separate phone) and we can still talk to each other. If I do the long press on my unit we can only listen to my media.
    I would still call tech support to make sure you can't do that.