Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    True, but Road-Kill's argument is the most logical one I've read so far...
    You're the first person I've ever known, that has used the term "logical" anywhere near our Court System!

And no: Insurance companies can't void your coverage for using automotive tires on your Spyder...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Will he testify in court for you? Will he be allowed to testify in a court? Will he be willing to risk his business giving bad advice? What Lamont does personally versus professionally will never be discussed on this forum, none of us will.

None of those babbling about tires on this forum are tire engineers and as such are not professionals in this field. If they were they could be sued for giving "bad advice".
    What are your credentials for making this claim? Are you an engineer or an attorney?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please don't let this thread end. I am no longer an engineer or a lawyer. Just a retired finanicial guy that everyone thought was an engineer and lawyer.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If there is a difference between the Spyder rim and an Auto/truck rim the difference is to small to see ..... Awhile back someone here posted Pics of the outline to both done as an over-lay ..... you couldn't tell the difference ...the lines matched up perfectly ....... just sayin .... Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    yup!
    Rob looked them over VERY closely, and pronounced the Spyder's rim to be identical to a car rim.
    What is needed is for the rim manufacturer, whoever that is, to certify that the rim is designed in accordance with such and such rim profile standard recognized by the Tire and Rim Association. If they would certify the Spyder rim is designed to the same profile as a passenger car tire then there would be no question about the legality or advisability of putting a car tire on a Spyder rim. If that certification has not been made by the wheel manufacturer then Kenda must have certified their tire as fitting the Spyder rim.

I just sent a request to Kenda to provide me with the information about which rims and rim profiles the Spyder tires are certified to fit. We'll see what happens.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can tell the differences with just a glance...

011316-skidmarks-dark-side-riders-rim-1.jpg

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can tell the differences with just a glance...

011316-skidmarks-dark-side-riders-rim-1.jpg
    Can anyone translate what the contour differences mean?
    bob, not to change the subject but do you know what the insurance legalities/liabilities for installing stretched
    tires on a car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stretched how?
    (I know that it's been discussed before in here; the memory is the second thing to go! )

...And I've already forgotten the first!

Spyder Garage

I get calls from 'kids' with vw/audi's that have 205 width & want to install on 9" rims or 225 width on 10" rims
    i won't due those because i know it is a dangerous fit but rim manufacturers build it for such with little regard for
    safety. i am just wondering what the insurance legality might be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would fall under your Comprehensive General Liability...

By "stretched"; I hoped that you weren't taking about putting a 15" tire on a 17" rim!

THAT.... is stretched!

Spyder Garage

thanks bob, you da man

Spyder Garage

One of this site's sponsors (PPA Wheels) makes aftermarket wheels for Spyders. I wonder what standard they adhere to.

Maybe that's the best way all around to avoid legal hassles -- buy an aftermarket (i.e., non-BRP) set of wheels.

But so far, I haven't seen anyone make an aftermarket rear wheel; I've only seen front wheels. Heck, if they did something clever with the air valve, they'd fly off the shelves!

Spyder Garage

Stretched how?
    He is talking about putting a tire designed for a 5.5"-6" wide rim on a 8", 9" or 10" wide rim. This 'Stretches' the side wall of the tire way beyond design. It is the 'Hot' look which supersedes any logic, reason, concern for safety or design parameters.

This is a completely different subject than discussing whether or not to replace a weak car tire with a stronger one since the Spyder comes stock with car spec wheels and car design tires.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    I get calls from 'kids' with vw/audi's that have 205 width & want to install on 9" rims or 225 width on 10" rims
    i won't due those because i know it is a dangerous fit but rim manufacturers build it for such with little regard for
    safety. i am just wondering what the insurance legality might be.
    My local tire guy said you can go one size wider or narrower with no problem, two sizes is iffy, and three or more absolutely not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What are your credentials for making this claim? Are you an engineer or an attorney?

I am not an engineer nor an attorney but I have testified in court regarding vehicle accident reports I have investigated.
    Giving bad advice is fine unless you are a professional in the given field.
    This is why professionals in a given field will always tell someone seeking free or friendly advice to "see a professional".
    I'm not against putting car tires on a Spyder.
    I am against those who portray themselves as professionals and telling the less informed its better without the proof.
    It all comes down to the proper citations and I see none of it here.
    .....on another note. Win or lose in a lawsuit is somewhat irrelevant. Litigations often wipeout most before the verdict is in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wow , this could be a game changer if it's true .......... Although the Honda trike isn't factory, so the makers of the Trike Kits can do what they want ......... BUT if HD is using auto tires on their factory trikes I'd like to know how they are doing it LEGALLY ....... since BRP claims their OEM tires MUST have Motorcycle tires ....... .......... this is just a question ....... Mike
    You are comparing apples to oranges.
    Two different companies with two different legal teams in two different countries with two different styled machines.
    The Spyder is sold as a fun, fast and safe machine.
    The Tri-Glide is sold as a slow machine for the "aged".
    I couldn't get my buddies 2017 Tri-Glide to perform in the twisties if my life depended on it.
    So putting car tires on that toaster is meaningless.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHEEL BEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    You are comparing apples to oranges.
    Two different companies with two different legal teams in two different countries with two different styled machines.
    The Spyder is sold as a fun, fast and safe machine.
    The Tri-Glide is sold as a slow machine for the "aged".
    I couldn't get my buddies 2017 Tri-Glide to perform in the twisties if my life depended on it.
    So putting car tires on that toaster is meaningless.
    ... this is not surprising ....you have NO idea what I'm discussing ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    He is talking about putting a tire designed for a 5.5"-6" wide rim on a 8", 9" or 10" wide rim. This 'Stretches' the side wall of the tire way beyond design. It is the 'Hot' look which supersedes any logic, reason, concern for safety or design parameters.

This is a completely different subject than discussing whether or not to replace a weak car tire with a stronger one since the Spyder comes stock with car spec wheels and car design tires.

Yes that is it, has nothing to do with our bikes but i get a lot of those at my place. to me it seems very dangerous
    and yes very easy to damage wheel or tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Love the smell of a new tire.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Love the smell of a new tire.
    you mean when it pops the bead and the rim scrapes the ground or curb?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Yes that is it, has nothing to do with our bikes but i get a lot of those at my place. to me it seems very dangerous
    and yes very easy to damage wheel or tire.
    If some kid asks you to set up his car like that: tell him that you HOPE that he has good towing coverage!

He'll need it!

Spyder Garage

If some kid asks you to set up his car like that: tell him that you HOPE that he has good towing coverage!

He'll need it!
    i actually do say that and my weight distributor said something to me once that i always remember, the wheels
    look great on the back of the flatbed with the car.

Spyder Garage

Default Kinda OEM tires

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    After the original rear tire on my RT only lasted 6k miles, I started using car tires. It's a pain because many dealers will not install car tires, and I don't want to worry with taking the wheel off myself. Have the OEM tires improved to the point we can consider them again, or do dealers offer a better alternative?
    I have F3-T spyder with 21K original OEM Kenda tires. Rear tire center tread wear bar just began to show replacement but outer tread wear bars still OK... figure will replace around 23 -24K front tires still have plenty wear left according to wear bars will replace around 25K. I ride hard on southern AZ mountain twists to keep up with my 2 wheel hard riding buddies. What can I say about OEM Kenda's, nothing except they will be my next set of tires. Friend had a 2014 RT and rear OEM Kenda tire replaced at 6K... don't know what's different.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I average 13,000 in the rear Kenda tire and 27,000 on the front Kenda tires.
    I experience excellent traction, no flats and thus no reason to risk loss of traction.
    If it aint broke don't fix it.
    The geniuses on this thread talk mileage and never traction and that tells everything.
    Stay with what Can Am mandates and ride safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    I have F3-T spyder with 21K original OEM Kenda tires. Rear tire center tread wear bar just began to show replacement but outer tread wear bars still OK... figure will replace around 23 -24K front tires still have plenty wear left according to wear bars will replace around 25K. I ride hard on southern AZ mountain twists to keep up with my 2 wheel hard riding buddies. What can I say about OEM Kenda's, nothing except they will be my next set of tires. Friend had a 2014 RT and rear OEM Kenda tire replaced at 6K... don't know what's different.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always felt that the Kendas handled okay, road quietly, and gave a decently smooth ride...
    But when you figure in the cost, and short tread-life: there ARE better alternatives out there...
    2014 RTL Platinum