Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Which is the best Belt Tensioner for an F3 LTD?

Got a new F3 Limited a few days ago and found it to have a lot of vibration at highway speeds. I was looking on here and found basically 2 different styles, one applies tension to the upper side and the other to the lower side.
    now I'm confused, is the vibration coming from the upper side which is pulling or the lower side which has the slack?
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Belt damper

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Got a new F3 Limited a few days ago and found it to have a lot of vibration at highway speeds. I was looking on here and found basically 2 different styles, one applies tension to the upper side and the other to the lower side.
    now I'm confused, is the vibration coming from the upper side which is pulling or the lower side which has the slack?

I put the the brp damper pulley which goes on the top , all vibration gone. Now saying that I am keeping a very close eye on pulley and bearing. I only have about 4000 Km on it so we will see.

crossbow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two Words for you: Doc Humphreys!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Two Words for you: Doc Humphreys!
    That is the one I’m leaning to but was wondering why there are 2 different kinds. The Smooth Spyder says that it wont work with LDT’s because they can not bolt to the air controlled shock.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

First i need to get the dealer to check to see if the tension is right. I did not have much vibration on my ST.

Spyder Garage

I will be going on my second summer with the Smoothspyder tensioner. I have ZERO vibration and ZERO worries about the bearing wearing out. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. High quality. Very solid build.
    IMHO

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

First i need to get the dealer to check to see if the tension is right. I did not have much vibration on my ST.
    Right On- Get the tension Right Per the Dealer and you Should Not need a tensioner -

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have to agree no vibration at all here! You have to have it set up right!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I have about 16,000 miles on a Smooth Spyder for my ‘16 F3L. It cured the vibration issue and is built like a tank.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    I have about 16,000 miles on a Smooth Spyder for my ‘16 F3L. It cured the vibration issue and is built like a tank.

Spyder Garage

Its interesting that both Smooth Spyder and Roadster Renovations approach it from 2 different directions with the same results.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Right On- Get the tension Right Per the Dealer and you Should Not need a tensioner -
    If that was truly the case I doubt that BRP would have gone through the expense of making a tensioner.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If that was truly the case I doubt that BRP would have gone through the expense of making a tensioner.
    I wouldn't even consider a BRP tensioner after watching this video giving a comparison.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't even consider a BRP tensioner after watching this video giving a comparison.

Wow, been a while since I did THAT video! At the time of this being made, the BRP damper had just come out and there had been no failures at that point. Kind of neat that what I said proved out. Anyway, I have had many improvements since this video and I will try to list them all by their order so that there is no confusion.
    1. We changed the aluminum roller to nylon. On our initial testing on my Daytona we found that the aluminum scratched and transferred that lightly to the top of the belt. The nylon does not do that. As far as longevity, we replaced a roller the other day for a customer that had some noticeable wear. It could still have been used, but since I was servicing his unit we replaced it. He had 40,000 miles on it. The bearings were still perfect with no wear.
    2. We increased the diameter of the pivot spring as a few of them were failing. This also happened to the BRP units also.
    3. We determined that since there was very minimal adjustment on the BRP kits, we would be unable to offer just the arm. They were not getting into a good enough position. Our brackets are slotted and allow for more adjustment.
    4. We began to find that the BRP units' pivot point was seizing up and locking up away from the belt. We added a outer seal to keep grit from getting into the pivot. We also added a grease fitting to make maintenance easier.
    5. We included an adjustment block that allowed perfect alignment with the belt.
    These changes have been in place since about May last year. We have not found a need to do any more changes. We still warranty everything for 1 year and the roller and bearings for 2 years.

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Wow, been a while since I did THAT video! At the time of this being made, the BRP damper had just come out and there had been no failures at that point. Kind of neat that what I said proved out. Anyway, I have had many improvements since this video and I will try to list them all by their order so that there is no confusion.
    1. We changed the aluminum roller to nylon. On our initial testing on my Daytona we found that the aluminum scratched and transferred that lightly to the top of the belt. The nylon does not do that. As far as longevity, we replaced a roller the other day for a customer that had some noticeable wear. It could still have been used, but since I was servicing his unit we replaced it. He had 40,000 miles on it. The bearings were still perfect with no wear.
    2. We increased the diameter of the pivot spring as a few of them were failing. This also happened to the BRP units also.
    3. We determined that since there was very minimal adjustment on the BRP kits, we would be unable to offer just the arm. They were not getting into a good enough position. Our brackets are slotted and allow for more adjustment.
    4. We began to find that the BRP units' pivot point was seizing up and locking up away from the belt. We added a outer seal to keep grit from getting into the pivot. We also added a grease fitting to make maintenance easier.
    5. We included an adjustment block that allowed perfect alignment with the belt.
    These changes have been in place since about May last year. We have not found a need to do any more changes. We still warranty everything for 1 year and the roller and bearings for 2 years.

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products

Thanks Doc,
    I could not find a more recent video that did a comparison as well as that one did. I did however see that you had made some improvements. I just ordered one, Thanks.
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-16-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc,
    I could not find a more recent video that did a comparison as well as that one did. I did however see that you had made some improvements. I just ordered one, Thanks.
    Saw that! It will go out tomorrow! Thank You!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Saw that! It will go out tomorrow! Thank You!
    One more thing to scratch off my long list. It was near the top after the ride I went on Sunday.

Probablly the next thing Ill get is the Baha Ron Swaybar, Then a Lamonster Drivers backrest.

Spyder Garage

All in all, Im really loving my new F3 limited!!
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-16-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

So you mentioned seeing oil spot on the ST is that all you needed for excuse for F3?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    So you mentioned seeing oil spot on the ST is that all you needed for excuse for F3?
    That was an excellent excuse I would say!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F-3 LTD, now with 8,000 miles on it. It had the high speed vibration that drives new owners nuts, so about 4,000 miles ago I had the BRP tensioner installed. After watching the video of the aftermarket tensioner I now wonder about the BRP part’s durability. It fixed the vibration, but if it breaks, will BRP cover the repair and replacement under warranty? What if it trashes the $300 drive belt?

Spyder Garage

You MAY need a LASER ALIGNMENT!
    Unless they did it b4 u bought it.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    You MAY need a LASER ALIGNMENT!
    Unless they did it b4 u bought it.

AJ
    Vibration at highway speeds has nothing to do with the alignment. That would be a whole nuther discussion.
    I brought it up with the salesman and they still say that they already are laser aligned from the factory. I will try to at least get them to check it because they do Rolo laser alignments there. The bike handled very well on last Sundays ride in the twisties, but I could see a new sway bar would help it.
    I did order a BR sway bar today along with a ton of other stuff. It will keep me busy for awhile putting it all together.
    sway bar
    vibration damper
    bump skid
    performance muffler bypass pipe
    fog lights with rings
    front fender LEDs
    rear LED brake, turn, run,flash kit
    Garmin 590

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo Creek View Post
    I have a 2017 F-3 LTD, now with 8,000 miles on it. It had the high speed vibration that drives new owners nuts, so about 4,000 miles ago I had the BRP tensioner installed. After watching the video of the aftermarket tensioner I now wonder about the BRP part’s durability. It fixed the vibration, but if it breaks, will BRP cover the repair and replacement under warranty? What if it trashes the $300 drive belt?
    I would also be worried about the BRP one. I have seen threads on here of failures and it aint pretty. Doc said in the video I posted that they work fine for at least a couple of years.

Edit!! read Doc's response to this post on page 2. I would remove that tensioner ASAP!
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-18-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Its that way with the stock hiem links that hold the sway bar. Once you change one out and see the difference, its kind of scary. The Baha Ron links are very well made solid aluminum where the BRP ones look like a very flimsy plastic piece that look kind of cracker jack. I did my ST Limited