Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet dilemna

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet dilemna

When I purchased my F3T a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had slim choices
    in helmets so I purchased a 3/4 Cyber for $50-..... Now I am looking for suggestions that are safe and not too
    crazy price wise but comfort is also very important!
    Any suggestions from you seasoned Ryders?

Spyder Garage

Default S&S

We have the Speed and Strength SS650 (or whatever is was a couple of years ago when we got them). The link is: http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/he...0-helmets.html

I've had most everything in the past including very expensive helmets (Shuberth, etc).

We both really like the SS650 and if something happened to the one I have I'd purchase another one. I think it's great value for the price, and price seems important to you.

Good luck,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde.

When upgrading your helmets you should consider what communicators should I use with them. If you are going to communicate with a passenger or second bike.

A good modular helmet (less communicators) will set you back between $250 and up. Try Baja Ron a vendor here on SL.

Brands, I like Nolan modulars. Others will chime in.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    When upgrading your helmets you should consider what communicators should I use with them. If you are going to communicate with a passenger or second bike.

A good modular helmet (less communicators) will set you back between $250 and up. Try Baja Ron a vendor here on SL.

Brands, I like Nolan modulars. Others will chime in.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I am also considering a built in communicator!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hit up Revzilla.com. Great reviews and fitting advice, and top notch customer service and return policy.

That is, if you can't support your local independent retailer or they don't have stock.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Before you rule out a helmet because of Price, ask your self; "How much is my brain worth. We ryde with Arai helmets that cost us over $600.00 each and are Snell certified. Really the most important consideration is, how does it fit. If you are uncomfortable you will be miserable. Don't shop at the dealer, they usually carry very little in inventory. Go to Cyclegear if you have one close by, they have lots of options to choose from and you can try them on to know that they will fit. Walk around the store for a while so you can get a good feel for how it fits. You can also go to Revzilla.com and see video reviews of most helmets.

Happy shopping!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Arai all day

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder.
    I am also considering a built in communicator!
    Communicator brands that are good. Sena, Cardo, Nolan. I would not waste time with Chatterbox. SENA appears to be the most well liked on the site. Motorcycle Dave (vendor) has these. SENA will no longer fit on the Nolan helmets. Nolan communicators only seem to work on the Nolan newer helmets. The lip on the bottom of the helmets sticks to far out to clamp other communicators.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Before you rule out a helmet because of Price, ask your self; "How much is my brain worth. We ryde with Arai helmets that cost us over $600.00 each and are Snell certified. Really the most important consideration is, how does it fit. If you are uncomfortable you will be miserable. Don't shop at the dealer, they usually carry very little in inventory. Go to Cyclegear if you have one close by, they have lots of options to choose from and you can try them on to know that they will fit. Walk around the store for a while so you can get a good feel for how it fits. You can also go to Revzilla.com and see video reviews of most helmets.

Happy shopping!
    I just found out there is a cyclegear close by.
    I don't mind spending the money if its necessary, I just don't need an overkill ( so to speak ).
    Thanks all for the advice!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go check them out. You will find what you are looking for. Then compare prices from online retailers, and buy the best priced option.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

There have been many threads on helmets (like tires and oil). It all boils down to personal choices. Full face, modular, 3/4, or 1/2?

You may see the "safety" chart posted before this thread has run its course.

I don't like full face. I prefer modular and that is both Linda and my choice. I buy helmets for fit, style, and ergos. Price is secondary so far. Likewise, rider safety gear--but that is for another thread.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Hit up Revzilla.com. Great reviews and fitting advice, and top notch customer service and return policy.

That is, if you can't support your local independent retailer or they don't have stock.
    A big +1 on Revzilla! When we were looking for a helmet for my bride I played hell trying to find one that was comfortable for her. We tried three different orders from Revzilla, buying two sizes on each order in the hope that something would fit and be comfortable. Unfortunately they did not have a successful candidate but their customer service was fantastic and the telephone reps really tried very hard to find the right model and size. We ultimately settled on a model that is close enough for afternoon rides but would not be the final selection for long touring, but she prefers just moderate length afternoon rides anyway.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

One of the best helmets made- Stilo, crazy costly.

Spyder Garage

CycleGear has full-face and modular helmets with built-in bluetooth communications for pretty darn reasonable prices...unfortunately, not in the XS that me and the missus needed...so we recently (2 years ago) went with Scorpion modular lids and are both very happy with fit...and will be adding Sena setups by Spring.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

in helmets so I purchased a 3/4 Cyber for $50-..... Now I am looking for suggestions that are safe and not too
    We've had great luck with our Bell helmets. It really comes down to the shape of your melon and what fits it. Best advice I'd give is to go to a dealer with a good selection and start trying some on. Write down what works, then go online and order it. Unless of course your dealer is willing to give a decent discount.....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I like modular. It's easier to get my big fat head in compared to a full face. And it provides chin bar protection while still allowing me to open the shield when I want. My wife and I went to a motorcycle Helmet Store and with the help of a very patient clerk, chose the Nolan helmets. The advice about trying several on and walking around the store is spot on. They must fit correctly and be comfortable. And, we have Sena communicators mounted to our Nolans. They do fit great but just need to use the secondary mounting system (stick-on) which was included with the communicators. My thoughts on choosing a helmet are

1. Safety

2. Comfort

3. Communicator compatibility

4. Price
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default We Have

Nolan N40 full. they are a type of modular with a removable chin guard. We also got the Nolan B5 intercoms at the same time/ they are integrated into the helmet/ I would have to get the invoice from the dealer but he gave us 20% off and a free upgrade to the B5. They were not too bad price wise as far as I was concerned.

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default HJC FG JET

I had an HJC FG Jet when I crashed recently. Always thought I would have a broken nose in any face first crash, but I did not.

Initially, I bought the helmet because it was the only one I could find in yellow. I just purchased another because I felt it protected me well. Only had a mild concussion (plus the broken ribs).

What I did not know, when I first ordered the helmet, is that is has a built in sunshade. Once I learned how it worked, I could stop wearing sunglasses!

One of the local shops had helmets fairly close to what they cost online, so I was able to try it on etc.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use Revzilla as the great source of information that it is.
    Buy the Helmet that fits your head the best.
    ANY helmet is better than no helmet at all...

Having said this: Schuberth C-3 Pro...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

First I would agree with Pirate looks at -- . The question is do you have a $5 head or a $600 head? I am not being an @$$ because for years I wore cheaper helmets. I could never get one that was comfortable and would get a headache after an hour or so. About four years ago after extensive research I purchase a full-face Aria (agree with crazycanuck) because I ride every day in Atlanta traffic. Last year I went down on my Gold Wing at 3mph in the parking garage at work. I was taking off and had just let the clutch out and guy came in the wrong way about 30 mph. I caught something coming from the direction I was moving and mashed the brakes and the bike just tipped over. My foot caught under the side of the bike then I hit my knee, hip and head. I messed my foot up and got a concussion. With a lesser helmet I would have been seriously injured. I had a mark where the helmet had hit the ground but I am a believer that it saved me once and that is enough. A co-worker was in his truck and got out and asked me if I was alright because he heard my head hit the ground. I went with comfort but safety has to be first. Sorry for the long post.

Rod

Spyder Garage

Default LID

I'm for Icon, Graphics, Alliance GT. Revzilla is a great source. I'm about 2.5 hrs. from Philly, makes a nice day trip.

Spyder Garage

Fit, Fit, Fit, that is the important thing!!!
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet DOT versus Snell

I've had several helmets in both DOT & (2) Shoei Snell versions. The various DOT brands are much more comfortable than my Shoei Snell's. Make sure U try the helmets on & wear them for at least 10 minutes. I have track tested both. With the DOT i ended up with a big lump on the opposite side on my head of pavement contact. With the Shoei I tumbled in a forward roll for 70+ yards. Not one lump on my head. General street riding I use a DOT--Snell's are tight on the head. Thus to each his own on helmet choice. I kinda like the idea of a speaker-earpiece helmet on rides with a passenger. I discourage the helmets without chin protection--I've seen someone shorten their nose
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

The first helmet that I bought when I purchased the RT and this helmet had the Sena system added to it. What I found was that the Sena speakers would cause ear pain after I had worn the helmet for some times less than an hour. I found the Bell Mag-9 which is designed for the Sena and the speakers fit into pockets. This helmet does not cause ear pain for me anyway . I had Bell helmets long ago and never had any issues with them.
    2015 RTS, Corbin armrest, Lamonster Spyderdock outfitted for Garmin mount, Spyder cuff with cup holder, highway pegs, Lidlox, Bumpskid, Swaybar, XM dock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    Fit, Fit, Fit, that is the important thing!!!
    I want to strongly agree.

I ride both a bicycle and motorcycle and in both cases I have found the fit to vary widely between brands. I currently ride with a newer Shoei helmet since they redesigned it a few years back and changed the shape. Previously I also rode a Shoei since Arai's, Bells, etc were not even a close fit, but it was not comfortable. I have turned my older helmet into my winter helmet with a shield attachment that prevents it from fogging. With bicycles I always rode with a Giro since helmets like Bell did not fit me. Now Bell bicycle helmets fit me and Giro's don't.