Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Smartphone Satellite radio or similar instead of AM/FM

Anyone use their smartphone to stream radio such as Sirius XM or maybe iHeart radio? When I went online and built the new 2018 RTL I was able to choose Sat radio and CB and now if you go to build a bike those choices are no longer there. Soooo, I'm scraping the CB and not sure about the Sat radio and I'm checking out smartphone options. (I'll use my Midland CB with Sena adapter when needed.)

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default SIRIUS XM

​Yes I have the Sirius XM app on my smartphone and listen thru my Bluetooth headset while riding.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Smartphone for Satellite radio

Flamewinger

I use my
    smartphone to stream Sirius XM radio. Picked up a Aluratek iStream Universal Bluetooth Audio Receiver ($35 from best buy) that plugs into the audio jack in the trunk on my 17 RTL. This devise pairs with my android phone and then just put the radio input on AUX.

Rod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been trying to figure out how to pick up XM on my smartphone (Sirius subscriber...)
    Can you point me in the right direction for the process?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sirius XM

I had Sirius XM receiver I transferred from one vehicle to the other but still lost signal occasionally in the mountains and had those pesky commercials advertising themselves and their stations which I had no interest in.
    Then I found Spotify. About $5 less per month, all music all the time, and you can listen offline without a signal. Just plug the phone into the dongle on the bike and have the ability to advance to the next song and see it on the dash screen.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Bob you should be able to download the Sirius XM app from the App Store. I think it would then ask you for your Sirius account number to complete the process.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

It seems that Sirius/XM is going more for the App and online than the satellite service. They seem to be going this way much more as it seems better for the bean counters. Switched to the app and online several months ago when they took off my favorite channel off the satellite and put it on just online. Will use the app more this summer. And if they take off my favorite channel all together will go with Amazon music app.
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bluetooth and Spotify/Pandora in or near urban areas. But in the mountains or out in the sticks.. no cell reception, so just the music of the motor for me.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Bob you should be able to download the Sirius XM app from the App Store. I think it would then ask you for your Sirius account number to complete the process.
    Is that kind of like the "Google Play" thingie that this phone has?
    Now I've just got to find the bill that I just paid: it's got to have the account number on it...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Is that kind of like the "Google Play" thingie that this phone has?
    Now I've just got to find the bill that I just paid: it's got to have the account number on it...
    Bob, since you have Google Play, I assume you have an Android phone, not an iPhone. Open Google on your phone - it is probably on one of your home screens. You will see a microphone icon on the right. Tap it and then say "Sirius XM Radio App". It should then pop up on your screen and you can then download it to your phone. Hope this helps.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Question for those using Sirius app

Not looking to high jack this thread, but this goes along with it I think. I’ve thought about using Sirius XM app, but was wondering of all the people who are using it, what kind of data plans do you have, and if not unlimited what sort of data does streaming music for hours have on your usage?

Thanks in adavance.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Not looking to high jack this thread, but this goes along with it I think. I’ve thought about using Sirius XM app, but was wondering of all the people who are using it, what kind of data plans do you have, and if not unlimited what sort of data does streaming music for hours have on your usage?

Thanks in adavance.
    This should give you some idea of what to expect as far as how much data streaming uses.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-m...ming-media-use

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post

Thanks in adavance.
    Verizon Unlimited...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Verizon Unlimited...
    You might check with Verizon to find out at what point they start "throttling" your unlimited data. All carriers do this, but the useage point varies.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just switch from unlimited to 8gb a month where its fast for the 8gb then it slows down but I don't get charged for any extra data usage. The only problem is cell service and I do find myself riding in areas where there isn't any service. Guess I'll have to have a long playlist when that happens.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spotify

I download all my music at home on Spotify $10 a month wich includes 3 devices then I listen to it offline.
    No cell service, no data, no problem......
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just learned that my Mini satellite subscription includes streaming on the phone so I canceled the Spyder's subscription. They tried to get me to sign up for a separate phone subscription but don't need it. ill have to download some if I think ill be loosing cell service.

Just checked the new Goldwing and its not available yet but it will have CB, Sat radio and all working with the new iPhone bluetooth system which will come with GPS built in. Cant get BRP to give me answers to the CB/Sat radio availability.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Ive got just over 800 songs on my phone, so I just listen to that. It takes a lot of miles to hear 800 songs....LOL My wife sometimes streams iHeartradio and she likes that, but she also has music on her phone. My phone is up on my handlebars where I can always make any changes I need to, she of course can just put her phone in her pocket or wherever. A lot of times she uses the pouch in the back of my backrest
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one problem is before I sign up for any music streaming I need the BRP Connect app. I downloaded mySPIN and it has iHeart and one other but this mySPIN isn’t, I’m guessing, is what will be used with the Spyder? So until I get the bike and find out exactly what app to have for can’t sign up for anything.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Bob, since you have Google Play, I assume you have an Android phone, not an iPhone. Open Google on your phone - it is probably on one of your home screens. You will see a microphone icon on the right. Tap it and then say "Sirius XM Radio App". It should then pop up on your screen and you can then download it to your phone. Hope this helps.
    Yes... it helps a whole bunch!

Spyder Garage

I just cancelled my XM Internet subscription and replaced it with a Google Play Music subscription. Costs less money plus it gets me YouTube Red (no ads.) And I can download any playlist/station from Google I want for playing when offline.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GOOGLE PLAY

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    I just cancelled my XM Internet subscription and replaced it with a Google Play Music subscription. Costs less money plus it gets me YouTube Red (no ads.) And I can download any playlist/station from Google I want for playing when offline.
    QUESTION :.... Do you use it with a Blue tooth set-up or can you stream it thru the OEM stereo ????? .....thanks , Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    QUESTION :.... Do you use it with a Blue tooth set-up or can you stream it thru the OEM stereo ????? .....thanks , Mike
    I listen to Google Play Music with my Sena SMH10. You just have to pair your phone to it which is easy to do. Yes Google Play does use data, and there are sometimes dead spots for cell reception, but for the most part it works fine for me. I'm lucky in that I have a grandfathered AT&T plan with 15GB of data & rollover. And, no throttling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I can do either. I have a bluetooth receiver attached to the iPhone 30 pin adapter that let's me stream it through the bike's speakers. It still doesn't let me skip forward or backward like a real iPhone/iPod would but it works for me.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

The 2018's will have a new dash system to control your phone with the Spyder controls. Its just a different way to control your phone that already has multiple ways to do so.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic