Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Reverse Gear

Yesterday, I couldn't get my RT into Reverse gear. It's a new bike, about 7 months old. The problem is intermittent. The first time it happen was about a month after I got it. I thought maybe I was new to the bike and was doing something wrong. After trying several times, it shifted into reverse. It happen again a few months later and I thought the same, especially after several touches of the paddle, it shifted. Yesterday, it never shifted.

Took it to dealership this morning and explained the problem. Wouldn't you know after trying to duplicate the problem several time, it shifted into reverse every time. The tech said he never encountered that problem, but he believed me. Since it's still drivable, I didn't leave it. I have an appointment to bring it back in once a tech is free to troubleshoot the problem.

Anyone every experienced this issue? Interested in knowing your story and fixes.
    Last edited by Snoop; 01-13-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop View Post
    Yesterday, I couldn't get my RT into Reverse gear. It's a new bike, about 7 months old. The problem is intermittent. The first time it happen was about a month after I got it. I thought maybe I was new to the bike and was doing something wrong. After trying several times, it shifted into reverse. It happen again a few months later and I thought the same, especially after several touches of the paddle, it shifted. Yesterday, it never shifted.

Took it to dealership this morning and explained the problem. Wouldn't you know after trying to duplicate the problem several time, it shifted into reverse every time. The tech said he never encountered that problem, but he believed me. Since it's still drivable, I didn't leave it. I have an appointment to bring it back in once a tech is free to troubleshoot the problem.

Anyone every experienced this issue? Interested in knowing your story and fixes.
    If it does it again record it on your phone to show them.JAT
    David

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Reverse Gear

If you lived in a colder area I would question oil Temp. Usually Temp lower than 50 degrees might cause a problem in the first 5 minutes. Do a search on this FORUM for 'REVERSE GEAR'. Maybe you will found something to help. MY2
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have to ask - did you have your foot on the brake peddle every time. I know once I could not get it to shift, and it turned out that I did not have the brake on
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have to ask - did you have your foot on the brake peddle every time. I know once I could not get it to shift, and it turned out that I did not have the brake on
    I too have stupidly tried to shift w/o my foot on the brake, more than once rolling backwards out of a parking spot.

If your problem is not an operator error brake problem I would suspect something amiss with the gear position sensor system but that's a warranty problem that takes B.U.D.S. to fully diagnose and correct, I believe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Make sure you firmly and completely depress the "Reverse" button, I've had the same problem a few time until I realized that I was only hitting the edge of the button and it was not being depressed enough to engage.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Make sure you firmly and completely depress the "Reverse" button, I've had the same problem a few time until I realized that I was only hitting the edge of the button and it was not being depressed enough to engage.
    .... Also it must be done in sequence .....ie, press and hold down reverse button ... then Paddle shift ( - ) into reverse ..... while having foot fully depressed on brake peddle .................this always works for me ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Also it must be done in sequence .....ie, press and hold down reverse button ... then Paddle shift ( - ) into reverse ..... while having foot fully depressed on brake peddle .................this always works for me ..... Mike
    What Mike said. I can attest the sequence is important. How would I know? It's a case of been there done that, more than once!

As James May once said, "There are procedures. I like procedures." He wasn't talking about Spyders, but it still matters.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the posts. To answer some of the questions :
    1. Yes, I had my foot on the brake pedal each time.
    2. I firmly had the reverse button press.
    3. Had the sequence correct each time.

Did some more research and things are pointing to the gear position sensor being the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default REVERSING PROBLEM

Yes I know I'm on my previous post about your issue ..... I researched and discovered you have a 2017 RT ( and you should always list what Spyder you are talking about ) ...... You didn't say if your dealer did a computer log search .... I say this because most of the GPS failures have been on older models and most of those have been with the V-twins ....... I had one fail on my 2011 RSS .... the dealer couldn't find that the Paddle shifter was failing .... But a Tech from BRP located 240 + codes of it failing in the computer files ........ You Spyder is under warranty .... I would make look into this possibility ..... anything the registers into the computer files ... REMAINS THERE FOREVER ... this is a fact with all computers ... the info can't even be deleted unless you use " bleach - bit " ( ala Hillary ) or a BFH ........ good luck with this issue ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the posts. To answer some of the questions :
    1. Yes, I had my foot on the brake pedal each time.
    2. I firmly had the reverse button press.
    3. Had the sequence correct each time.

Did some more research and things are pointing to the gear position sensor being the problem.
    I would guess that if it was the sensor it would act up going forward too?

Could be a paddle ,rev switch or brake light switch just to mention a few other things..

Well good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    If it does it again record it on your phone to show them.JAT
    David
    That might be a tad difficult.......as it requires TWO hands to engage reverse.
    Unless you have VERY long and flexible fingers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that is the case, shifting from N to 1 and the back to N might solve the problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

( and you should always list what Spyder you are talking about ) ......

anything the registers into the computer files ... REMAINS THERE FOREVER ... this is a fact with all computers ...
    For the first part, you can solve that "problem" by listing your Spyder in your signature.

And for the second part......absolutely, totally false.

Spyder Garage

Do you really need to have your foot on the brake to shift into reverse? I have not driven a that many miles on 1330 engine models. So maybe I never noticed. For sure there is no need to have your foot on the brake to shift into reverse on 998 engine models. In fact I often shift from 1st to reverse while still rolling because it shifts better. The OP stated that his RT is only 7 months old so I would guess it has a 1330 engine.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    If that is the case, shifting from N to 1 and the back to N might solve the problem.
    But that shouldn't be necessary except in a case where one has to get the Spyder home or to the dealer for repair.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I bought my newly assembled 2015 RT-S SE6 from the dealer, they'd successfully had it in reverse a few minutes before I arrived to pick it up. But when I immediately test rode it in their parking lot, it refused to go into reverse. They too could no longer get it to reverse, so they replaced the entire command cluster.

I had no issues engaging reverse until last summer. Now, she occasionally refuses to reverse, usually when I've just fired her up after being parked for an hour or so. What has worked so far is to put her in 1st gear, and then reverse. If I'm already in 1st, putting her in neutral, then 1st again works. If the problem persists after hibernation, I'll be taking her in for evaluation to placate my stomach who hates being tied in knots when the only way out is rearward and reverse isn't looking like an option!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default PROBLEM SHIFTING INTO REVERSE

I believe there is a cable adjuster below the left foot board. If you look up underneath, you will see the shift shaft and cable. Only problem is that I could not find the adjustment length of that cable in the "Green Manual", so I am at a loss. I have been told by my service guy that the cable can affect shifting into reverse if it has too much "slack". Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good tips

good to know------ Thank you.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    I believe there is a cable adjuster below the left foot board. If you look up underneath, you will see the shift shaft and cable. Only problem is that I could not find the adjustment length of that cable in the "Green Manual", so I am at a loss. I have been told by my service guy that the cable can affect shifting into reverse if it has too much "slack". Mad Mac
    That would be for manual shift Spyder. He mentions the paddle so that is the SE model. No cables on the SE.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Do you really need to have your foot on the brake to shift into reverse?
    Yes. I assumed that all of the automatics were like that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    But that shouldn't be necessary except in a case where one has to get the Spyder home or to the dealer for repair.
    Of course not.
    I wasn't implying that was a "normal" situation, but that it might be helpful until a permanent fix is found.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Of course not.
    I wasn't implying that was a "normal" situation, but that it might be helpful until a permanent fix is found.
    Just clarifying. Did not assume you were advocating a routine workaround for a persistent problem.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1329175]Yes I know I'm on my previous post about your issue ..... I researched and discovered you have a 2017 RT ( and you should always list what Spyder you are talking about ) ...... You didn't say if your dealer did a computer log search .... I say this because most of the GPS failures have been on older models and most of those have been with the V-twins ....... I had one fail on my 2011 RSS .... the dealer couldn't find that the Paddle shifter was failing .... But a Tech from BRP located 240 + codes of it failing in the computer files ........ You Spyder is under warranty .... I would make look into this possibility ..... anything the registers into the computer files ... REMAINS THERE FOREVER ... this is a fact with all computers ... the info can't even be deleted unless you use " bleach - bit " ( ala Hillary ) or a BFH ........ good luck with this issue ..... Mike [Wow... I said it was new, 7 months. Must be a 2017 model. No, l didn't say the dealer did a computer log search, because he didn't. Just tried to duplicate the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default your answering post

[QUOTE=Snoop;1329545]
    Yes I know I'm on my previous post about your issue ..... I researched and discovered you have a 2017 RT ( and you should always list what Spyder you are talking about ) ...... You didn't say if your dealer did a computer log search .... I say this because most of the GPS failures have been on older models and most of those have been with the V-twins ....... I had one fail on my 2011 RSS .... the dealer couldn't find that the Paddle shifter was failing .... But a Tech from BRP located 240 + codes of it failing in the computer files ........ You Spyder is under warranty .... I would make look into this possibility ..... anything the registers into the computer files ... REMAINS THERE FOREVER ... this is a fact with all computers ... the info can't even be deleted unless you use " bleach - bit " ( ala Hillary ) or a BFH ........ good luck with this issue ..... Mike [Wow... I said it was new, 7 months. Must be a 2017 model. No, l didn't say the dealer did a computer log search, because he didn't. Just tried to duplicate the problem.
    Many ,many people here post that they got a new Spyder , some were 15's 16's etc....... They are posting that it is " NEW TO THEM " ..... not that it is a Brand New Model ..... I rely on what is posted .... not what I THINK you meant ...... Would you rather folks here make guesses about what others may mean ?????? ............ and if your Dealer isn't doing their job properly ....you might want to ask for BETTER SERVICE for your money .......PS, I'm a firm believer in " Knowledge is Power " and I was just trying to give you some. Far to many dealers of Spyders either have in-competent tech's or they just don't give a damn whether you are happy or satisfied , because those dealers think YOU HAVE NO CHOICE ....and I just went on a Rant because your Reply took me by surprise - - it sounded like I Offended you .... best of luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-15-2018 at 11:59 PM.