Spyder Garage

Default Need route suggestions for SpyderFest 2018

We are planning on attending SpyderFest for the first time this year and are leaving from Leavenworth, KS for the trip to Springfield, MO. We would rather avoid highways as much as possible and wonder if anyone from the area has suggestions for a route we could take?

It seems that the trip by highway is around 4 hours and we're fine with a longer ride as long as we can enjoy ourselves, which we can't do on the crowded interstates. We have the capability to trailer the Spyder instead and that may indeed be what we decide to do, but riding it could be a new experience worth having.

We're from Massachusetts and will be trailering the Spyder from there to Leavenworth. We have never riden in the Kansas/Missouri areas at all.
    Any suggestions for a route avoiding highways would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought, you can program your GPS to avoid highways, toll roads and unpaved roads. Give it a try locally before you go.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBears View Post
    We are planning on attending SpyderFest for the first time this year and are leaving from Leavenworth, KS for the trip to Springfield, MO. We would rather avoid highways as much as possible and wonder if anyone from the area has suggestions for a route we could take?

It seems that the trip by highway is around 4 hours and we're fine with a longer ride as long as we can enjoy ourselves, which we can't do on the crowded interstates. We have the capability to trailer the Spyder instead and that may indeed be what we decide to do, but riding it could be a new experience worth having.

We're from Massachusetts and will be trailering the Spyder from there to Leavenworth. We have never riden in the Kansas/Missouri areas at all.

Thanks!!
    Will you be riding with someone else from Leavenworth? If so, do they know the roads? Based on my little experience of that area, I don't know of any "bad" roads. AS mentioned, I think if you have a GPS and set it to avoid the things you want to avoid, you won't be disappointed. A 4 hr ride on interstate might turn to a 5 or 6 hr ride by "secondary highways" on the Spyder. It's all part of the adventure, and might be the best part of your trip actually. I would recommend spending all the time you can riding in the Ozarks hills. Awesome area!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBears View Post

Thanks!!
    If you want a tour de Kansas, head west a bit and take Hwy 59 south through Lawrence. Then either head east on Hwy 54 or Hwy 400. Southeast Kansas is really pretty at that time of year, but the roads south of Hwy 54 aren't as fast. After you turn east, you have 3 options: South on Hwy 69, South on Hwy 71 (now I-49), Southeast on Mo-13. If you take Hwy 69, you can turn east anytime before Joplin and avoid the interstate.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

My suggestion. Head south out of Leavenworth on K-7 to K-10. Take K-10 east towards Olathe/KC. Here you`ll have to deal with Interstates. Take I435 east to southeast KC. Take I49 south to a few miles south of Harrisonville. Back off Interstates and head SE on Missouri 7. Follow it through Clinton. The road will merge into Mo13. Mo13 south will take you to Springfield. It also goes through Bolivar so you can stop and see "The Rock". Len`s secondary site hosting Spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

I second Scotts suggestion! I live in Lansing just south of Leavenworth this will be me 5 SpyderFest. We are departing the 1st of May, 913-775-3242

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    My suggestion. Head south out of Leavenworth on K-7 to K-10. Take K-10 east towards Olathe/KC. Here you`ll have to deal with Interstates. Take I435 east to southeast KC. Take I49 south to a few miles south of Harrisonville. Back off Interstates and head SE on Missouri 7. Follow it through Clinton. The road will merge into Mo13. Mo13 south will take you to Springfield. It also goes through Bolivar so you can stop and see "The Rock". Len`s secondary site hosting Spyderfest.
    That's the way I go to Springfield, but he wanted to avoid highways.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Here's a suggestion that will give you some options. On Google Maps, set your mode of transportation to Bicycle and let it compute routes to Bolivar and/or Springfield. This will give you a rough idea of how a GPS would take you if you set it to avoid highways. You're going to be in Middle America so the routes are all going to be a big change from Taxachusetts. For example, Leavenworth to Bolivar via Lansing, Olathe, Louisburg, Lacygne, Lowry City, Osceola, Weableau and Humansville is 187 miles. That's a nice morning ride on a Spyder. I personally, knowing absolutely nothing about the area, would go south a bit farther to the west so I would go by Lake Stockton. Good luck & be safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Imfleck's post gives you a great example of the options you're going to have. You can even pick and choose as you ride along.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your responses. You've given us lots of options to consider!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,