Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Your Reason For Getting A Backrest?

I have low-to-mid back pain from arthritis and am considering adding a driver backrest to my F3-T. On the plus side, it might provide the support my back needs, but on the minus side, I think that it would make mounting and dis-mounting my Spyder more difficult. So, that's my dilemma.

I'd really like to hear your reasons for getting a driver backrest, and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I currently do not have a driver backrest installed. My rigs have been RT's mostly. Never owned a F3.

I had folding Corbin on my GS. Had the Utopia on the RT. Both gave me back support that was lacking for my sometimes fidgety back issues. When the hip stuff hit me, it became difficult to mount/dismount because the backrest got in the way. I would have to get up on the foot board and carefully move the leg over the "front" of the seat. Then I would sit and get adjusted for the ride.

I now have BRP Comfort seats on both RT's. The lumbar part of the seat gives enough support these days that I do not feel the need for a backrest.

Have not tried any of the F3 seating so cannot give good advice there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Slinging a leg up over the backrest isn't all that difficult: you'll adapt to it in short order!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I have low-to-mid back pain from arthritis and am considering adding a driver backrest to my F3-T. On the plus side, it might provide the support my back needs, but on the minus side, I think that it would make mounting and dis-mounting my Spyder more difficult. So, that's my dilemma.

I'd really like to hear your reasons for getting a driver backrest, and how it's worked out for you.

Thanks!
    Back pain is the reason that I use a BRP backrest, and it eliminates the problem. I step onto the passenger foot peg and then sit on my F3, that makes mounting easy.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love my f3s utopia drivers backrest.
    Too hard for me to lift leg over it and over saddlebags and dog bag - tho it can easily fold forward.
    I am not tall and find it easiest to just mount with leg in front of backrest, over the seat so to speak.
    Definitely helps lower back, especially when I "accidentally" take off a little too fast lol

Spyder Garage

Default I have

The BRP drivers backrest and it really helps. I broke my back in 5 places in January 1987 at work. I face the seat and lift my leg over the driver portion and then turn forward and sit down. The back rest works really well for me.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I have Ultimate seat with their backrest. Not sure about the BRP backrest but the Ultimate folds down into the riders portion of the seat.
    Makes for easy mounting and getting off the Spyder.
    Can beat the added comfort of having a backrest!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default backpack

I'm not getting the backrest because I often ride with a backpack. Backrest will make it impossible.
    If you worry about mounting/dismounting - get one that folds down.
    Last edited by Don'tPanic; 01-13-2018 at 06:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

I normally don't use a back rest since my rydes are usually very short. I live on a remote island, so how far can I really go? LOL

I purchased the BRP backrest for the ryde from LA to Valcourt last year and I'm glad I did. Being 6'4", it wasn't a problem lifting my leg over. Mostly it saved my butt from burning on those long rydes (719 miles was the longest leg) I lifted off the seat and wedged my butt against the backrest, almost standing until the pain was gone, then I could sit comfortably for another couple hundred miles. And yes, the back support is wonderful on those long hauls too.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Default reason for getting a back rest

Might want to take a look @ Smooth spyders offerings, very versatile back rest, just doesn't work with seats with edge wings on them.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I gave up two wheel riding for a spyder because of my back best thing i ever did love it

i fold the backrest forward and step up on the passenger foot rest i have short legs
    swing over the seat fold the rest up and set down
    2013 RT , LAVA BRONZE

Spyder Garage

Instead of a back rest, I opted for a Saddlemen bag that sits on the passenger seat. I can lean against it and it also carries a lot of stuff. It has a built in rain cover in one of the top pockets. The attachment harness goes under the seat so I don’t have to remove it when refueling.
    A470D16D-9F5E-4352-834B-30B3806CEA5F.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crw View Post
    I gave up two wheel riding for a spyder because of my back best thing i ever did love it

i fold the backrest forward and step up on the passenger foot rest i have short legs
    swing over the seat fold the rest up and set down
    OP here.

I also have short legs and get on the Spyder as you describe. I reverse the procedure to get off the Spyder. So - just to be clear - you have enough room to fold the backrest forward (or up) while you're in the seat? (Really?) That's my concern in a nutshell - I didn't think that would be possible.

Thanks.
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My theory for a backrest is to make it easier to push on the handlebars which will greatly help my right shoulder. My current ST requires some strain to maneuver the bike and can become painful on a long ride. I both punch and pull to turn and the backrest will make it easier to just push.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

OP here.

I also have short legs and get on the Spyder as you describe. I reverse the procedure to get off the Spyder. So - just to be clear - you have enough room to fold the backrest forward (or up) while you're in the seat? (Really?) That's my concern in a nutshell - I didn't think that would be possible.

Thanks.
    Newbert, I have just had a hip replacement and have to be very careful mounting and dismounting. I have a Daylong custom seat with a backrest that folds forward. I fold the backrest forward onto the rider’s seat, mount with my feet on the ground, and while I am standing, lift the backrest back into position. I do the reverse when dismounting. It works a treat. My legs are longer than yours, but my Daylong is two inches taller than stock, plus you are mounting from footboard height rather than from the ground, so the clearance probably evens out. I don’t want to put words in CRW’s mouth, and I could be totally wrong, but I would imagine that he would still be standing when he pushes the folded down backrest back up into position. It’s quite easy.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Newbert, I have just had a hip replacement and have to be very careful mounting and dismounting. I have a Daylong custom seat with a backrest that folds forward. I fold the backrest forward onto the rider’s seat, mount with my feet on the ground, and while I am standing, lift the backrest back into position. I do the reverse when dismounting. It works a treat. My legs are longer than yours, but my Daylong is two inches taller than stock, plus you are mounting from footboard height rather than from the ground, so the clearance probably evens out. I don’t want to put words in CRW’s mouth, and I could be totally wrong, but I would imagine that he would still be standing when he pushes the folded down backrest back up into position. It’s quite easy.

Pete
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, Pete! I'm getting a Daylong seat as well, but without backrest. It's on order, and will be manufactured in the next few days. (I'm considering adding a backrest later. Russel have told me that the BRP backrest is compatible with their seat.)

Good to hear that there's plenty of room for the backrest to fold down while the driver stands on the pegs. I guess that's what I wasn't sure about.

Do you find that having a backrest helps ease your hip problems?
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Pete! I'm getting a Daylong seat as well, but without backrest. It's on order, and will be manufactured in the next few days. (I'm considering adding a backrest later. Russel have told me that the BRP backrest is compatible with their seat.)

Good to hear that there's plenty of room for the backrest to fold down while the driver stands on the pegs. I guess that's what I wasn't sure about.

Do you find that having a backrest helps ease your hip problems?
    Not specifically for my hip, Bert, as I have had backrests on my bikes for the last 15 years. I have degenerating L4/L5 in my lower back, so I started using backrests just in case. I have not had back pain since, but that may simply be due to the chiropractor I started seeing around the same time. A couple of times I have left the backrest off, and I do find I get a soreness in my back and feel less comfortable after an hour in the saddle. It may be the better posture that leaning against a backrest gives you, but that would be a pure guess. Sure, the Spyder looks better without a rider’s backrest, but I’m past caring about that. I’d rather be comfortable.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Driver’s back rest

I put a Lamonster driver’s backrest on my F-3 Limited and found two problems. The cockpit was already crowded for two-up riding, so the wide backrest made the situation worse. The Spyder also requires more driver’s body movement than a motorcycle because it doesn’t lean. The wide backrest inhibits free movement.

My my solution was to keep the Lamonster hardware and throw away the pad. I replaced it with one measuring about 6”x9”, bought online. That fixed both problems and still provides improved support.
    Last edited by Jambo Creek; 01-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find it very easy to mount the F3 L as it is much lower than our RT. The back rest just really adds more support, and some leverage in the corners. It is great for the short rydes like this last weekends 250 miler, and really essential for the longer rydes like the Iron Butt we did in April.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.