Spyder Garage

Default Winter Storage..Best for tires?????

With rain then snow here in Virginia... the Spyder is in our barn with a full tank of gas.

We have COLD weather like never before......water froze in the barn...1st time ever,

I have rolled the Spyder two times in 8 weeks so the tires are not in the same floor contact spot.

I checked the air pressures yesterday...it was a little low so is put 20 PSI in the fronts and 29PSI in the rear.

QUESTION/OPINION

is it better...

keep PSI LOW...

keep PSI as is...

keep PSI high?

also

keep rolling to new floor contact spots each few weeks

or jack up and NO FLOOR CONTACT on the tires for the winter storage?

Spyder Garage

As a fellow (frozen) Virginian (and a new Spyder owner), I'd interested in the answers as well. I've been starting mine once a week and rolling it out of the garage. After it warms up, I've been driving a few hundred feet up our driveway and back. In the garage, I've got it sitting on rubber mats, not the concrete, but I hadn't thought about tire pressure.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

I live in the Baltimore area and before getting my Spyder in Feb 2017 rode a Harely year 'round. Only snow or ice kept me off the roads. Never had to worry about storage issues.

I ride the Spyder the same way. That's why heated gear was invented.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default this issue

Quote Originally Posted by Genradman View Post
    With rain then snow here in Virginia... the Spyder is in our barn with a full tank of gas.

We have COLD weather like never before......water froze in the barn...1st time ever,

I have rolled the Spyder two times in 8 weeks so the tires are not in the same floor contact spot.

I checked the air pressures yesterday...it was a little low so is put 20 PSI in the fronts and 29PSI in the rear.

QUESTION/OPINION

is it better...

keep PSI LOW...

keep PSI as is...

keep PSI high?

also

keep rolling to new floor contact spots each few weeks

or jack up and NO FLOOR CONTACT on the tires for the winter storage?
    Personally I would MAX the psi in the tires + 5 or 10 ...... you aren't riding it that way so over - pressure won't effect operation .... you won't have to move it because flat spotting won't occur......Do you have Kenda's or Car tires ??? .......If you leave tires on the floor at least put some thick cardboard or a piece of Rug under the contact point ............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default WINTER STORAGE SUGGESTIONS

Here in Wisc. I store ours with the tires inflated to 30lbs. in the fronts and 40lbs. in the rear. I have an old set of snowmobile dollies that I place under each tire to keep them up off the concrete floor and hopefully keep the flat spots to a minimum. Prior to all that, I fill the tank completely full (all the way to the top) and put Stabil in it at the recommended dosage then run the motor to get it circulated thru the fuel system. Then last but not least, hook my battery tender up and wait for the spring thaw. Hope this helps. Mad Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pump the tires up to 35 psi, and park so that they're on a bit of a raised carpeted pad. It keeps them off of the damp floor.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What Blueknight said! Altho if you've got jacks &/or axle/chassis stands to lift them off the ground, that wouldn't hurt; but far more importantly, if you can then you should ensure that wherever your Spyder is stored maintains a fairly even temperature, a touch on the cool side if possible, and doesn't expose your tires to light (especially sunlight!) or constant breezes.

Ideally, mounted tires are stored in a still, dry, & darkish place without any load on them & free from pests & insects etc..... but really, upping the pressure as mentioned (IMHO, do not go anything over +10 pressures tho, especially if you already run them at anything over 30psi!) & keeping them at an even (cool) temp out of direct light is probably going to be as good as you are likely to need for storing your Spyder over winter. Altho once they reach 5-7 years old, you should start considering replacing them regardless of how good the tread looks; and certainly by the time they hit 10 years old, since by then, unless they've been stored in a controlled & stable atmosphere then they are probably no longer quite as safe as you might expect, and blowouts just from normal use become a real likelihood!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter Storage

Heated garage/Storage area. Lots of fresh water and quality food.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do whatever makes you feel good.

Because what you NEED to do is: NOTHING. Except moving it like you are already doing.

No need to add air, before, or during. Check before first ride......or if one looks low.
    No need to keep the tires off of damp or cold floors; they are made to be used on wet concrete.

The ONLY time I would worry about tires during storage is if it was more than 6 months and it was on bare dirt.
    Sometimes the dirt is not chemically neutral.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd over inflate, but wouldn't MAX out the air pressure, especially if you do that while it's really cold. Because as warm air expands, and you're already at MAX, guess what?

Damp concrete is acidic to a degree, so parking on cardboard, wood or carpet squares helps keep the tires away from that.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I'd over inflate, but wouldn't MAX out the air pressure, especially if you do that while it's really cold. Because as warm air expands, and you're already at MAX, guess what?

Damp concrete is acidic to a degree, so parking on cardboard, wood or carpet squares helps keep the tires away from that.
    about 148%!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default winter storage

I found a balance point under my F-3 Limited that let me lift the bike with my hydraulic motorcycle jack. That got the wheels completely off the cement floor.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep balance pt is about 8 in. front of the end of the frame - depending on frunk ite

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo Creek View Post
    I found a balance point under my F-3 Limited that let me lift the bike with my hydraulic motorcycle jack. That got the wheels completely off the cement floor.
    I also use a 4X4 wooden block that is about 7 1/2 tall to raise the bike and allow the wheels to just touch the floor. This is for the 1 month or two that the bike is maneuvered to the side of the garage when snow is on the roads. Tender plugged in alternately a week at a time and tank full of gas with some stabilizer. Still time to add a few farkles and plan some rydes this Spring....come on SpyderFest
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Yep balance pt is about 8 in. front of the end of the frame - depending on frunk ite

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo Creek View Post
    I also use a 4X4 wooden block that is about 7 1/2 tall to raise the bike and allow the wheels to just touch the floor. This is for the 1 month or two that the bike is maneuvered to the side of the garage when snow is on the roads. Tender plugged in alternately a week at a time and tank full of gas with some stabilizer. Still time to add a few farkles and plan some rydes this Spring....come on SpyderFest
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss