Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect 2018 video

For those of you that have Facebook. Can-Am Spyder posted a video from CES in Las Vegas from the Bosch booth. Good demonstration of connecting a phone to the Spyder and showing how how the app running on the phone now displays on the Spyder screen. I could not figure out how to post a link to it on here. Sorry.
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-11-2018 at 09:24 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

try this

U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

This is it... not sure what you see if you "don't do facebook"...
    https://www.facebook.com/CanAmSpyder...6279268023094/
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a "Face-Booker", but you could see enough of what was going on, to make some sense of it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    This is it... not sure what you see if you "don't do facebook"...
    https://www.facebook.com/CanAmSpyder...6279268023094/
    That's it.

It was not surprised that Bosch was behind this tech. Bosch has there hands all over the Spyder. Some of the marketing materials I have read, suggested that this was created in house. I was sceptical.

So I learned that you need the BRP Connect app running on your phone to do the actual communication between the phone and Spyder. That's how they control what other apps can be used on the connect display. I look on the google app store for BRP Connect. It's not there yet.

Also the demonstration proves the apps run on the phone. Not on the BRP Connect display. So contrary to what others have said. The GPS is not on the Spyder. It's in the phone. So no GPS function or other apps without a phone plugged into it.
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-12-2018 at 10:01 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    That's it.

It was not surprise that Bosch was behind the this tech. Bosch has there hands all over the Spyder. Some of the marketing materials I read, suggested that this was created in house. I was sceptical.

So I learned that you need the BRP Connect app running on your phone to do the actual communication between the phone and Spyder. That's how they control what other apps can be used on the connect display. I look on the google app store for BRP Connect. It's not there yet.

Also the demonstration proves the apps run on the phone. Not on the BRP Connect display. So contrary to what others have said. The GPS is not on the Spyder. It's in the phone. So no GPS function or other apps without a phone plugged into it.
    You are correct. Also from the video they said it was built on "myspin" and only apps that are compatible with "myspin" will work. Unfortunately, I'm sure that's going to greatly limit the smartphone apps users will be able to use.

You can read about myspin here. Looks like there are 46 compatible apps
    http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin.html

I guess I see two benefits.
    Your phone is tucked away somewhere rather than being out in the elements.
    You can navigate to different apps while riding

Not sure those benefits are worth the $?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I see FOBO is one of the compatible apps. It also states that the OEM chooses what apps are available on their vehicles.

On another note it appears you loose the tach when displaying any of the Connect apps.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    You are correct. Also from the video they said it was built on "myspin" and only apps that are compatible with "myspin" will work. Unfortunately, I'm sure that's going to greatly limit the smartphone apps users will be able to use.

I guess I see two benefits.
    Your phone is tucked away somewhere rather than being out in the elements.
    You can navigate to different apps while riding

Not sure those benefits are worth the $?
    Thanks for the link.

I see some interesting apps listed, but I agree limited. There are several mapping apps. I see the FOBO app is there. So buy the sensors and you have tire pressure monitoring. Lots of apps for your tunes. It does say that the apps that are available for each vehicle, in each region is ultimately controlled by the OEM, BRP in this case.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

sounds like another distraction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a list of the supported apps.

No Google Maps......that's bad for me.

http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_apps.html

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default And

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm not a "Face-Booker", but you could see enough of what was going on, to make some sense of it!
    When will you be connecting Bob????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

For the life of me I don’t understand why they didn’t go with android play and apply car play, the new gold wing uses Apple CarPlay

the nav app they picked has very poor ratings
    2015 RT L , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    For the life of me I don’t understand why they didn’t go with android play and apply car play, the new gold wing uses Apple CarPlay

I agree. No need to re-invent the wheel. There is already a very good "off the shelf" solution for this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have requested Bosch to check into getting Waze app. I have also emailed Waze to see if they can figure out a way to be a part of mySPIN.

I also noticed the many apps available but on my iPhone the mySPIN only shows a more limited selection.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Looks like to me you will be using your phone's data plan while connected? If so - Phone company's will love that. Lotsa overages. Better price an unlimited plan !
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably because of their current close working association with Bosch. mySPIN is a Bosch product.

Here is some of the more nerdy stuff on their site regarding mySPIN for motorcycles.

http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_2w_mafo.html

http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_2w.html

There are videos on those pages and links to other documents about market research and business models.

As for what apps they have it looks like they wait for app developers to modify their apps and to get accepted by the OEMs. The developer kit to modify apps to run on mySPIN looks like is no cost. If we want a particular app to be made available on BRP Connect we have to lobby the app developer to go after it. When you consider the thousands upon thousands of apps that are out there I can easily see BRP not going fishing for any. Regardless of what they would pick people would grouch. Why is Rever the nav app? Probably because they saw, or were made aware of, a market opportunity and they went after it. With billions of users of their map program Google ain't gonna spend no effort whatever to go after a niche of 50,000 users. Our best bet would be for us as the SL community to pick one or two other nav apps and lobby the developers to go after the mySPIN market and the market piece that is BRP.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Looks like to me you will be using your phone's data plan while connected? If so - Phone company's will love that. Lotsa overages. Better price an unlimited plan !
    The nav app will run on downloaded maps and GPS signal, not full time data connection. Now, some of the other apps like iHeartRadio will require data connection. So, be smart and download as much of the stuff you want to use when you're connected via WiFi. No different than your daily use habits now.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have requested Bosch to check into getting Waze app. I have also emailed Waze to see if they can figure out a way to be a part of mySPIN.
    All Waze has to do is get Bosch's no cost SDK, modify their app to run with mySPIN, and then convince BRP they should be included. The more money Waze can make running on mySPIN the more likely they are to pursue the possibility.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope Waze figures it out. As for unlimited data, I have 8gb of fast and then it just slows down a little but still unlimited. I hope TomTom Go is an app that will be available for the Can Am mySPIN. Currently it isn't.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    I am absolutely sure this is the case. Like some have already mentioned, why did BRP "reinvent the wheel", and not use Android Auto or Apple Car Play???????? My '15 RT Limited just crossed 10K miles and is under warranty until 4/2020. This gives me plenty of time to "see"/read what the early adopters have to say about it, and to see if BRP/Bosch tweeks my spin after the feedback.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Android Auto and Apple Car Play are both proven applications suites. Only time will tell if MySpin will be a successful. My '15 RT Limited has low miles on it and 2+ years of warranty left. Plenty of time to see how this all plays out in the Spyder Community.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Love technology! But, I'm more excited about the updated "joystick."

I feel that this is an easy way to make it look like there is a big advancement in the 2018 line of Spyders. Actually, this isn't very new at all in many different fields.

You still have to physically connect the phone? The apps run on the phone? You are greatly limited on apps, and some that aren't even popular?? I can't run Google Maps??

In my opinion, they would've done better by redesigning the whole dash and integrating this screen. Make it easier for the DEMOGRAPHICS that they are selling to! Make it so the font or gauges can be bigger or smaller depending on the preference of the rider! I think that idea alone is better than just interfacing some technology to a smart phone. Heck, I can't read the font of a lot of my 2015 RT screen! How in the world am I going to run a bunch of detailed apps on a screen at the same distance?
    Last edited by tehrlich; 01-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Like some have already mentioned, why did BRP "reinvent the wheel", and not use Android Auto or Apple Car Play????????
    Methinks you guys don't understand the complexities of the entire connectivity issue. First off BRP did not "reinvent the wheel". Bosch's mySPIN has been around since 2013. In 2016 they decided to move it over to the motorcycle world as well. From what I find it is the only connectivity system tailored for motorcycles that handles both Android and iOS phones. Apple CarPlay is Apple only. It is new on the 2018 Goldwings but if you have an Android phone, guess what? You are SOL. Honda cars use Apple CarPlay so that's probably a big reason they went that way. BMW looked at incorporating Android Auto into their cars. Their conclusion, nein! Apparently the capability of integrating it tightly into their existing ConnectedDrive system to achieve the safety performance they want wasn't feasible. They use Apple CarPlay. BMW and KTM motorcycles are adopting mySPIN. MirrorLink handles both Android and iOS phones but it hasn't been adapted to motorcycles.

In short, if you want phone connectivity tailored to work well on your Spyder, and don't want to be forced to own an iPhone to use it, the only viable choice out there is mySPIN. And keep in mind that BRP and Bosch have had a close working relationship since the inception of the Spyder. It's only natural BRP would look to them for a connectivity solution.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    In my opinion, they would've done better by redesigning the whole dash and integrating this screen.
    They did.

Make it easier for the DEMOGRAPHICS that they are selling to! Make it so the font or gauges can be bigger or smaller depending on the preference of the rider! I think that idea alone is better than just interfacing some technology to a smart phone.
    I'm pretty sure the screen is bigger. In any case the connectivity system enables the vehicle manufacturer to restrict what is displayed on the screen to those parts of the app that are essential to using it while driving. From all the various pics I've seen of the various systems the icons are larger and the apps will be easier to see on the dash screen than on your phone.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    When will you be connecting Bob????
    I'm sitting here with a phone-full of unlimited Data planning...
    I just need the bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black