Spyder Garage

Default Corvette among the Cadillacs....😁

Don't know about the rest... but the recent trip to Tombstone showed me that we are a fading sector of the spyder world. There were some 75 spyders and though I did not see them all at once I know from all I saw there was one GS two RS and an ST. The group I rode with there were 24 spyders and one RS..me...Now this makes the RS the most interesting as it stands out and I'm always asked about it. Often they mention the sportiness and how much smaller it is from the rest. Hence the title of the thread... So how many are left in your club, group, gathering etc....???? IMHO still the best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Don't know about the rest... but the recent trip to Tombstone showed me that we are a fading sector of the spyder world. There were some 75 spyders and though I did not see them all at once I know from all I saw there was one GS two RS and an ST. The group I rode with there were 24 spyders and one RS..me...Now this makes the RS the most interesting as it stands out and I'm always asked about it. Often they mention the sportiness and how much smaller it is from the rest. Hence the title of the thread... So how many are left in your club, group, gathering etc....???? IMHO still the best...
    I have a 08 GS, my wife has a 11 RSS, my best friends has a 08, 09, and 13 RS models. We have a few, but when we show up to a group meeting the rest are RT's and F3's. I have no near plans on up dating or wife either.
    David

Spyder Garage

Only fond memories are left of my 08 GS, and 09 RS. The 08 is supposed to be around town--but have not seen it in a couple years. The 09 went off to Wisconsin.

Locally, I see an ST or two, Mostly RT's, and just a few F3's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just crossed over into the 1330 F3 world but will always love my time with my ST. They are great fun. I can see that they are fading away and lots of venders dont sell as much farkels for them any more. I wont miss having to always keep the oil checked and filled though.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gene I enjoyed following your GS in Tombstone, it sounds so much better than the 1330.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Still riding my '08 GS premier edition #2888. (See ya at the drags)

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default we are still here !

not so much a , club , but a nice group of folks out for a day ! IMG_20170909_112150.jpg I think we might need an just to get together for a lunch meet up !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FEWER & FEWER

Gene, what might be a factor is, those Spyders were not meant to be Touring machines. So unless the owner has invested in adding luggage capacity, long distance events are not popular with the owners who have Stock machines..........and I realize that this isn't a factor to many , but figured as a percent of owners, it 's smaller than the RT crowd ............. I loved my GS and RSS until the 1330 engine entered the picture......that was a big game changer for me............... jmho .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our riding group is now made up of just RTs, and F3s...

But we've got a couple of STs, and RS/GS models still in the area!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Gene, what might be a factor is, those Spyders were not meant to be Touring machines. So unless the owner has invested in adding luggage capacity, long distance events are not popular with the owners who have Stock machines..........and I realize that this isn't a factor to many , but figured as a percent of owners, it 's smaller than the RT crowd ............. I loved my GS and RSS until the 1330 engine entered the picture......that was a big game changer for me............... jmho .....Mike
    Can I add in an . Before the RT (2010) there was no choice. I loved the concept of the but was not crazy about some of the things on the GS/RS versions. Over the two years until the first RT, I farkled and farkled, to get that "touring" machine that I wanted. I modified about everything but the engine. Windshield, then fairing. Weighted handlebars, extended handlebars (4" higher), Corbin seat/backrest combo, Saddle bags (GIVI), Trunk. I even added a different rear fender and custom wheels to my 08 package. When all was said and done, it sure looked like a "tourer."

I still say that BRP copied my GS when they made the first RT's. There were a few others that did the same. Those ones that added Corbin saddlebags were even a bit "cooler" looking. I should have spent the extra $750 but did not.

When I got the RTS in 2010 there was noticeable difference between the two. The GS was a bit "stiffer" in overall ride. It was much "snappier" off the starting line. Gene's title "A Corvette among the Cadillacs" is right on.

So that everyone can put a picture with what I said:
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine

I have a 2008 GS and have NO plans on getting rid of it
    NOTHING ever goes wrong with it, you know the old saying
    if it ain't broke don't fix it
    Still Riding safe
    Dave
    IMG_3753.jpg

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RS M

Still have mine, 51K currently, expect that will be at least 70 K by this coming fall and put away time. Have been giving serious thoughts to an upgrade, just can't decide to which one; base RT or F-3T. Which ever, will need a hitch, new RDL seat and mount for my GPS. Have 10 more months to go before retirement, and I though this would be an appropriate retirement gift to myself!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Still have mine, 51K currently, expect that will be at least 70 K by this coming fall and put away time. Have been giving serious thoughts to an upgrade, just can't decide to which one; base RT or F-3T. Which ever, will need a hitch, new RDL seat and mount for my GPS. Have 10 more months to go before retirement, and I though this would be an appropriate retirement gift to myself!!
    Absolutely, positively, you should give yourself a nice retirement gift. Hopefully, you can get a good test ride on both before making a final decision. They are both good, but have different ergos. Not everyone likes the F3 set up. I love the looks, but not the ergos. The 1330 RT's are also pretty nice. Good luck with the hunt, and happy pending retirement.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have a 2008 GS and have NO plans on getting rid of it
    NOTHING ever goes wrong with it, you know the old saying
    if it ain't broke don't fix it
    Still Riding safe
    Dave
    IMG_3753.jpg
    Yup, our 08 is all set up similar to yours, except with a Givi topcase as well. It's been dependable, I've been careful choosing my farkles so as not to mess up the reliability. We did consider upgrading to an ST but after all our changes it's pretty much an ST without the cost.

If I want comfort and convenience, sound systems and navigation etc, I'll take the convertible. But honestly coming from a sport bike background we find the GS pretty comfy. The only thing that might make me upgrade would be another GS with more power, but we know BRP has abandoned us on that front.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

My GS is a Corvette, the F3 a Cadillac.

GS/RSs can be touring machines. The bag on the passenger seat can hold a weeks worth of clothes, toiletries and pills. Still have the bag and use it.

Will give up the F3 before the GS. Too much fun.

See you at the races!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh Yeah..!!

We travel two for week and still bring more stuff home...
    20180115_145205.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    My GS is a Corvette, the F3 a Cadillac.

GS/RSs can be touring machines. The bag on the passenger seat can hold a weeks worth of clothes, toiletries and pills. Still have the bag and use it.

Will give up the F3 before the GS. Too much fun.

See you at the races!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Love my RS

Ride my 2010 RS all year round. In 2011, I rode from Abbeville, La. to Newfoundland and return. (8K miles.) Will ride too the wheels fall off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RS , Silver

Spyder Garage

We travel two for week and still bring more stuff home...
    20180115_145205.jpg

We've learned to bring home fridge magnets as souvenirs...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the title says it all. I have now owned all 3 different spyders. A 2014 RT, 2012 RSS, and currently have a 2016 F3T. I never miss the RT, but often wish I had the RSS back for the times that I really want to rip it up. My decision to get the F3T was so that I could have possibly the best of both worlds. It does what the RT could do (mostly), and also what the RSS could do (again, mostly). But I did miss the spirited rides that the RSS offered, so I picked up another 2 wheeler, and now I am happy. But if I should ever get rid of the 2 wheeler, another RSS will be in my future.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post

We've learned to bring home fridge magnets as souvenirs...
    Shot glasses also work--if you are so inclined.

2020 F3L , Magma Red