Thread: 2017 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RTL

Hi folks,
    Ordering a new seat w/heaters. My question is: Is there a wiring harness in place already to plug into "or" do I have to wire one in from the battery?

Thank's in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Hi folks,
    Ordering a new seat w/heaters. My question is: Is there a wiring harness in place already to plug into "or" do I have to wire one in from the battery?

Thank's in advance.
    There is for the BRP seat. There is a large connector on the left hand side that is in front of the gas tank. The BRP seat comes with a wiring harness that connects to that to power the seat.

If it's an aftermarket seat than you will need to wire it from the battery. I ran mine with 12 gage wire with an in-line fuse along the left side. I found an wire from the rear stock harness that is only powered when the Spyder is on and I tapped into that with a relay so the seat will not be active when the Spyder is off. I did not want to take the chance of draining the battery if/when I forgot to turn the seat off.

Enjoy your new warm butt!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Seat

YES, the BRP seat is a good way to go. I did not like the look of the wiring in the seat TOP. BRP People said, that's just the way we make them. Thank you and then I returned mine.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    There is for the BRP seat. There is a large connector on the left hand side that is in front of the gas tank. The BRP seat comes with a wiring harness that connects to that to power the seat.

If it's an aftermarket seat than you will need to wire it from the battery. I ran mine with 12 gage wire with an in-line fuse along the left side. I found an wire from the rear stock harness that is only powered when the Spyder is on and I tapped into that with a relay so the seat will not be active when the Spyder is off. I did not want to take the chance of draining the battery if/when I forgot to turn the seat off.

Thank's for the info. We put in an order for a Russell, Day-long w/ heated seat. Won't get it until mid/late spring as they have had so many orders come in this winter. BRP's seat although nice, just isn't "that" comfortable for long rides for me and the Mrs.

Spyder Garage

Thank's for the info. We put in an order for a Russell, Day-long w/ heated seat. Won't get it until mid/late spring as they have had so many orders come in this winter. BRP's seat although nice, just isn't "that" comfortable for long rides for me and the Mrs.
    Agree 100%. That's why we have one

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank's for the info. We put in an order for a Russell, Day-long w/ heated seat.
    I thought that the OWNER had to supply the seat (pan) for Russell to do the upholstery on it.
    Has that changed recently ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I thought that the OWNER had to supply the seat (pan) for Russell to do the upholstery on it.
    That is still the way. i purchased a take off from a fellow Spyderlover and I sent that to Russell. I than later sold my stock seat to another rider. This way I had no down time.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    We do. It will go in later this winter - closer to production date they gave me. (About 2-3 weeks before).

Spyder Garage

That is still the way. i purchased a take off from a fellow Spyderlover and I sent that to Russell. I than later sold my stock seat to another rider. This way I had no down time.
    Hmmmmm? Maybe I should look around for someone with a stock RTL seat for sale - up here in the Great White North.

Spyder Garage

You will have to excuse my ignorance on the wiring. You said "rear" stock harness. I'm assuming at the back of the bike??? Would that be the wiring, leading to the trunk power outlet?

Spyder Garage

You will have to excuse my ignorance on the wiring. You said "rear" stock harness. I'm assuming at the back of the bike??? Would that be the wiring, leading to the trunk power outlet?
    You are correct. There is a wire bundle below the seat area. Using a meter I was able to find a wire that was only powered when the key was on.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's times like this that you have to be somewhat resourceful! Since the comment was made about the BRP heated seat I found their product catalog and located the product to one, make sure it existed, and two, to get the name they call it. In this case it's the Heated Comfort Seat.

This link http://instructions.brp.com/, which is on the Lamonster Garage website has links to BRP product installation instructions. I actually found Lamont's link by Googling Can-Am installation instructions! I searched for the installation instructions for the Heated Comfort Seat and got this:

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...0486,219400487

Why do you want to see this? Well, because it tells you where the connections are for the heated seat harness! Installation instructions also list part numbers for the parts and pieces in a product kit. Open up the instructions and you'll find that the BRP heated seat has two heated sections, driver and passenger. Also, you will find out that the connections you are interested in don't exist as you might think they would. The BRP seat comes with harnesses that plug into the wiring for the heated grips, i.e., grips on - seat on, grips off - seat off.

If RDL does not supply a wiring harness that is plug and play then you have two choices. Connect whatever RDL comes with to the battery or an added fuse box. The Spyder doesn't come with spare auxiliary wiring stubs to connect extras to. Or, you can have your dealer order the two harnesses listed in the BRP installation instructions, plug them into the heated grips harness connectors and make your own connection to the RDL seat.

Hope this helps!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are correct. There is a wire bundle below the seat area. Using a meter I was able to find a wire that was only powered when the key was on.
    Connecting into just any ol' wire that is switched is not always wise! You may get hold of a wire that isn't fused large enough to handle the additional load you are wanting to connect. It's always best to check the wiring diagram first to see if you really do want to tie into it. The Spyder wiring, from my observation, is not built with very much extra capacity available. If you just connected a relay coil to whatever switched wire you found and fed the real load from the battery through the relay, then that is a proper way to go. Relay coils draw so little current you can add them to just about any wire with no adverse consequence.

Now, in this case the grip heater wiring has the capacity to add the heated seat since that's the way the BRP kit intends. If the RDL seat has a heater somewhat the same wattage as the BRP one, and the owner is OK with the grip heater switches also operating the seat at the same time, then that would be the route to go.

In the case of adding a heated seat with a relay and battery power feed I would suggest you tie into the power in lead of the grip heater. The reason for that is the grip heaters are on the load shedding relay powered circuit so they aren't energized until the engine is running. Avoids adding extra load on the battery during engine start.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Connecting into just any ol' wire that is switched is not always wise! You may get hold of a wire that isn't fused large enough to handle the additional load you are wanting to connect. It's always best to check the wiring diagram first to see if you really do want to tie into it. The Spyder wiring, from my observation, is not built with very much extra capacity available. If you just connected a relay coil to whatever switched wire you found and fed the real load from the battery through the relay, then that is a proper way to go. Relay coils draw so little current you can add them to just about any wire with no adverse consequence.

Now, in this case the grip heater wiring has the capacity to add the heated seat since that's the way the BRP kit intends. If the RDL seat has a heater somewhat the same wattage as the BRP one, and the owner is OK with the grip heater switches also operating the seat at the same time, then that would be the route to go.

In the case of adding a heated seat with a relay and battery power feed I would suggest you tie into the power in lead of the grip heater. The reason for that is the grip heaters are on the load shedding relay powered circuit so they aren't energized until the engine is running. Avoids adding extra load on the battery during engine start.
    As I first posted I ran 12 ga wire (with inline fuse) from the battery to a 30 amp relay. As you stated the relay requires very little draw to activate so tapping into one of the Spyders wires is not an issue.
    Since the RDL seat comes with on/off switches built in there is no need to use the grip power switch to turn the seat heater on and off. By doing it the way I did I do not have to have the grips on to have the seat work. Also there are times I only need the grips heated and would not want the seat heated.
    I have had no issues with starting since the Spyder wire I chose is not live until it's running, so the seat can not draw power until it's running.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Since the RDL seats have their own switch. I'll go with a new line off of a "keyed" harness and install a fuse and relay (30amp?).
    Thank's to all for your help and wisdom in this matter.

Spyder Garage

Default Heated seat wiring

Just a side note on the RDL heated seats. I phoned my BRP dealer to try and purchase the plug and play wiring harness that comes with the BRP ultimate heated seat. ----- NO deal. Harness comes WITH the seat and you can't buy it separate.