Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder's are lacking a dedicated magazine

I would say one the thing Spyders are lacking is a dedicated magazine with all things related to the Can-Am Spyder.

I get my...
    Motocross Action, & Dirt Bike magazines for my 2 wheel fix
    American Snowmobile for my snowmobile fix
    Circle Track for my racing fix
    Dirt Wheels for my ATV (not UTV) fix

Nothing (magazine wise) for my Spyder obsession

Living in Wisconsin I love my magazines in winter. I'm always paging through my old Spyder parts accessories catalog, & old brochures (which the wife laughs at me for). I'm always thinking it would be awesome if someone produced A dedicated Spyder magazine.

Maybe there is one, and I'm in the dark. Does anyone know of any Spyder dedicated magazines?

I know ounce in a while they put short articles regarding Can-Am Spyders in the road bike magazines, but very little as I can tell. I'm not a 2 wheel road lover, so not much interest in the other stuff in those magazines.
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 01-05-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T

I don't see a dedicated 2 wheel magazine coming any time soon.....

the SPYD3R market is way too small for such a big investment... however, 3 wheelers are growing all the time... BOOMERS are giving up their 2 wheels because of physical issues, me included... therefore, current publishers of motorcycle magazines should recognize this, and devote a section of their publications to us 3 wheelers... there are other 2 wheeled vehicles on the market: SLINGSHOTS, and potential new units coming in the future... this fact should not be ignored by these publications...

let's keep our fingers cross, and maybe the future will be more friendly to us....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think if you join Brothers of the Third Wheel, they have a "Trike Talk" magazine. I haven't joined so I'm not positive and I don't know how often it comes out. Btw-trikers.org
    Last edited by SL Ken; 01-08-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Correct web site

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    I think if you join Brothers of the Third Wheel, they have a "Trike Talk" magazine. I haven't joined so I'm not positive and I don't know how often it comes out. Btw.com.
    I did join for awhile and yes they have a very professional looking online magazine that covers only tikes but not necessarily Spyders. Isn't there another online magazine that advertised on this forum in a post or two? I think it was Spyder oriented and free if I remember right.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I did join for awhile and yes they have a very professional looking online magazine that covers only tikes but not necessarily Spyders. Isn't there another online magazine that advertised on this forum in a post or two? I think it was Spyder oriented and free if I remember right.

I believe your referencing spyderlife.net Spider-Man sent me a link to that I'm going to check it out.

I'm old school, and love printed versions for magazines!

Spyder Garage

Yeah that was it. If you want a printed page you could just print of the articles that interest you

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The subject has come under discussion before.

A quality magazine takes a lot of cash up front to make it work. Advertising acquisition is a must. Most advertisers are not willing to invest in a small niche market such as the Spyder.

BRP has never been very cooperative with the "other" magazines. When they wanted to do a trike vs trike article back in 2008--BRP would not provide a model for them to use.

BRP may have been gun shy because a lot of the early articles were not accurate or helpful to the brand. Heresay was rampant. I used to get Cycle World, Motorcycle Consumer Reports, Motorcycle Cruiser, and Rider. I am now down to Rider.

There is also not enough happening with our brand to keep things interesting. A new model every 5 years or so--paint color changes yearly, currently one engine configuration trying to cover everything....other than pictures and articles of peoples rides--I don't see much else happening.

10 years later, I am not quite as gung ho as I was. I have spent a lot of money over 10 years, owned five spyders, and done a lot of miles on them. I am in a wait and see mode now.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-07-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You won't see a printed magazine about Spyders...ever.
    The market segment is just too small...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with others. Not enough happening in the Spyder world in terms of product to justify a print magazine. Most publications (impartial ones) are financed with advertising dollars. It's just not there. If 3, 4, 5 companies were building Spyder like vehicles it would probably be reality but that's not happening.

Spyder life has the "right" idea.

Spyder Garage

Dan P and akspyderman are right in the bulls-eye about the expense of printing magazines. Just look at the number of publishers ceasing publication of hard copy magazines. Advertisers won't spring the big bucks for hard copy in the face of digital competition. I agree though, there's just no substitute for that hard copy in the mitt.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    I would say one the thing Spyders are lacking is a dedicated magazine with all things related to the Can-Am Spyder.

I get my...

Living in Wisconsin I love my magazines in winter. I'm always paging through my old Spyder parts accessories catalog, & old brochures (which the wife laughs at me for). I'm always thinking it would be awesome if someone produced A dedicated Spyder magazine.

Maybe there is one, and I'm in the dark. Does anyone know of any Spyder dedicated magazines?

I know ounce in a while they put short articles regarding Can-Am Spyders in the road bike magazines, but very little as I can tell. I'm not a 2 wheel road lover, so not much interest in the other stuff in those magazines.
    Unfortunately you are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing Broad categories of riding (motocross) to a single Brand of Motorcycle, and with only 100,000 sold in 10 years there is just not the market to support a magazine. To be perfectly honest, I think Lamonster has created the equivalent of an online mag with Spyderlovers. You have expert advice from Ryders all over the world, and lots and lots of quality vendors advertising here! So enjoy!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When there were only print magazines I could not even imagine what it would be like to have an interactive real time discussion with other enthusiasts. Now we have that gratis this forum there is no looking back for me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There is Spyderlife.com It’s not big, not perfect but it is a start and I like reading it.

SilverFox

correction; it’s spyderlife.net
    Last edited by SilverFox1; 01-05-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

I honestly wouldn't expect any new print magazines in just about any category unless it is huge on a national or international scale. The readership has moved online, and that makes advertisers very hard to find. Trade and specialty magazines have been going out of business left and right over the last ten plus years - even Newsweek couldn't make it in print.

These mags are all primarily supported by ad dollars, and the ads are too costly for most of the companies who we work with, and we just don't buy enough.

There is more info on sites like this, anyway, and Spyderlovers is free to us and probably provides a far better return for the advertisers.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Even Wing World which is devoted to Goldwings and Valkyries, is getting away from the print version. And there are a whole lot more GWs out there than Spyders!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    I think if you join Brothers of the Third Wheel, they have a "Trike Talk" magazine. I haven't joined so I'm not positive and I don't know how often it comes out. Btw.com.
    btw.com doesn't work anymore.

Spyder Garage

Default Start-up opportunity

I'm always thinking it would be awesome if someone produced A dedicated Spyder magazine.

I know once in a while they put short articles regarding Can-Am Spyders in the road bike magazines, but very little as I can tell. I'm not a 2 wheel road lover, so not much interest in the other stuff in those magazines.
    Since you live in Wisconsin and don't have much to do during the really long winter that God's Country provides, I suggest you take this opportunity to start-up the Spyder related magazine you, and others, so desire.

Spyder Garage

I kind of figured no such type magazine existed. I did maintenance at printing company back in the day before I started my dealership, and kind of saw the slow up in print way back then. Digital just doesn't cut the mustard to me though. The suggestion to check out Spyderlife.net was GREAT at least it's something.

A quarterly news bulletin from BRP would even be great, other companies have done this Arctic Pride by Arctic Cat, or Walker talk by Walker Mowers come to mind. I really don't know if they still do them, or print them (they maybe only digital only now).

Well I will just keep dreaming, & praying for someone to print a magazine

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A quarterly news bulletin from BRP would even be great, other companies have done this Arctic Pride by Arctic Cat, or Walker talk by Walker Mowers come to mind. I really don't know if they still do them, or print them (they maybe only digital only now).
    Now that would be a good idea. With all the money that BRP has taken (or we gave it to them) from us over the past few years, a quarterly news letter would be a great start. I also would like a quarterly magazine, but that will probably never happen, but a newsletter should be a real possibility.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    btw.com doesn't work anymore.
    Sorry,

I found it at btw-trikers.org

Spyder Garage

Default Quarterly magazine

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Now that would be a good idea. With all the money that BRP has taken (or we gave it to them) from us over the past few years, a quarterly news letter would be a great start. I also would like a quarterly magazine, but that will probably never happen, but a newsletter should be a real possibility.
    I'm a member of the Concours Owners Group (COG) and we publish a high gloss quality magazine every quarter. If an owners club can do this I'm sure BRP could do it if they really wanted to. There's obviously an interest in one. Is BRP listening?

Spyder Garage

got wingworld when I was a member of GWRRA any body have a use for some old magazines.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    got wingworld when I was a member of GWRRA any body have a use for some old magazines.
    I'd just drop them off in front of a dairy queen. That's where you see a lot of wings or a Mexican resturant.Maybe some winger didn't have that months issue

Spyder Garage

Prior to a Magazine, BRP would need to make a concerted effort to form an Owners Group.
    Dedicated owners with insurance, and REAL roadside assistance benefits.

They don't even need to invent the wheel, Harley already did all the leg work!

AJ

I get my...

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default No magazine likely

Here is an interesting article on the state of publishing for the largest m/c publishing group. Considering the issues raised in the article I can't see a Spyder magazine anytime in the near to immediate future, other than a company owned one.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-featu...cle-group.html