Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    Unless I'm headed inside for an extended period of time I usually just hang my helmet on my handlebars. I've been riding two-wheeled MCs for decades and have never had a helmet stolen.
    I'm with you. Sometimes old technology has its advantages. I use wired helmet headsets. Who wants to steal old fashioned wired headsets?? I leave my helmet on the seat and cover it with my jacket. Haven't lost one yet in 13 years, knock on wood! Over night I'll take it inside, most of the time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just set the helmet on the seat. Never had any problem for 35+ years. I suspect helmet thieves are rare around here because bad guys don't wear them. They just wear tattoos and tiny little sun glasses.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default FYI

Just FYI. Thanks for all the tips. After checking out my frunk and unzipping the carpet, I discovered that the cause of my problem fitting my wife's helmet all the way to the bottom of the frunk was/is the battery cover. It has about a 1/2" bump or raised part that sticks out into the frunk and that's what binds on the side of her helmet. You can feel it through the carpet but you can't see it. If I take off the battery cover, both helmets fit easily, but I don't want to run without a battery cover. I thought perhaps I could cut off the raised area of the cover and replace it with a flat piece of plastic or metal to eliminate the bump, but it's made that way to clear the battery tie-down. The tie-down is just rubber and it, too, could be modified to give more space but it's just not worth doing all this. It's easier to just take off the communicators and squash everything as much as possible. Like I said in my initial post, it works ... barely. After a few months now we are becoming more adept at doing it anyway. We are just happy to be ryding the Spyder at all.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default cable and cover

our helmets are cabled to the seats and then put half cover on i never leave my bike without some kind of cover thus out of sight and if your at a rally everyone has a helmut they dont need mine oh and i do take the sena 20s off and lock it up just in case no sense loosing it all

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JFD View Post
    There are actually clips under the seat for the helmet but I've never seen a helmet that had a chin strap long enough to use and then lock the seat
    down, so I made these extensions out of scrap stainless:

You can see the plastic clip under the seat in the first picture. I have a print if anyone wants one.
    Sent a pm for print/pattern to make my own

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's a recent thread on this very topic - removing the 'bumpout' in left side comp.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=liner

But, after re-reading John's O.P. I realize he's wanting to expand the size of the frunk instead.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-22-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I use this helmet locking system behind the license plate. Used it on my ST1100 and now on my 2015 RT S. If it is raining I have a waterproof bag for helmets I can stick it in.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black
    Wow!! Here is something that looks ridiculous!
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    Wow!! Here is something that looks ridiculous!
    Goldwings have had a very similar setup stock for years.At least my 2003 did.It sat under the trunk but you had to look for it bc it blended in nicely.I never used it bc anyone with a knife can cut the helmet strap easily.

Spyder Garage

This subject was discussed yesterday,2 posts below this(removing rear compartment) I think.I had already used a heat gun to soften the rt side inner case and push it in 1" so I could stick a large helmet in and I wondered if the same could be done on the left.There is a bulge where a battery used to be behind it but when I took off the cover above I saw that there are hoses and a bracket now in that spot(2017 RTL)which took up half the room.I tried to heat it up anyway and push it in like 1" but for whatever reason it just wouldnt budge.Maybe the idea of cutting it out might work but moving the parts behind it and glassing it in seems like not worth the trouble.1 helmet in the frunk and 1 in the rt case works fine.
    Last edited by spyder01; 07-22-2018 at 05:36 PM.