Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Improving Helmet Storage

Hello, I have a question concerning helmet storage on our RT-S. My wife and I have full-face Arai helmets with Sena SMH5 communicators. Hers is S, mine is XL. Neither one fits into the side or rear cases, but we can fit both helmets into the frunk -- just BARELY -- but only if we turn hers upside down and squash it into the bottom, then take the communicator off mine and turn it sideways with the top toward the front of the Spyder (her communicator doesn't even touch the sides because the helmet curves inward). Even so, usually there needs more squashing to get them in far enough that the frunk lid can close easily so there won't be any issue with jamming. The problem is that her helmet binds on the sides of the frunk, preventing it from going all the way to the bottom. There's at least an inch or two of empty space that I can feel at the bottom below her helmet. If I could eliminate the binding on the sides, her helmet would go all the way down to the bottom, my helmet would fit easily above it and I probably wouldn't even have to remove the communicator to do it.

Once it's all in there, it's extremely convenient. We can cope with the PITA factor but wish we could skip the 5 minutes of adjusting and squashing every time we stop somewhere. I've wondered whether taking out the carpet on the sides at the bottom would give just enough additional width to let her helmet go the rest of the way to the bottom. Or, could the shape of the frunk be modified to make it even 1/4" wider? Does anyone have a similar issue, and if so, how have you dealt with it. Or, is there some other secret to helmet storage that I'm missing? I know there are devices for external helmet storage but I just really don't want to go there if I don't have to, not when this comes sooooo close to being ideal.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Right side saddlebags

Holds a helmet. Easy. Frunk holds a helmet. Left saddlebag has a molded in area to clear where the battery was. That can be cut out, fiberglassed over, and then hold a helmet. Try the right side saddlebag again. Even with Sena20’s, it fits. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default helmet

My husband and I also have the same problem we have an XXL hjc helmet with sena and an XL helmet with a sena. Since we put the senas on the helmets we can't make either helmet fit the right rear compartment with the sena. I tried moving the mount on the sena further forward and rearward on the helmet still no go.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We use "Lidlox". This allows you to lock your helmets to the handle bars. We have been using them for three years now with no issues. Just make sure that you are holding on to your helmet when you unlock it. They are a sponsor here on this site.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Breezin View Post
    My husband and I also have the same problem we have an XXL hjc helmet with sena and an XL helmet with a sena. Since we put the senas on the helmets we can't make either helmet fit the right rear compartment with the sena. I tried moving the mount on the sena further forward and rearward on the helmet still no go.
    Again Lidlox will solve this problem. We take the Sena unit off (not the mounting bracket) and put them in our pockets and re-install when we unlock the helmets.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Storage

Sounds like 'Father BRP' needs/should listen the the Spyder Children. YES, I think that BRP NEEDS to FIX This SMALL Problem.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Hello, I have a question concerning helmet storage on our RT-S. My wife and I have full-face Arai helmets with Sena SMH5 communicators. Hers is S, mine is XL. Neither one fits into the side or rear cases, but we can fit both helmets into the frunk -- just BARELY -- but only if we turn hers upside down and squash it into the bottom, then take the communicator off mine and turn it sideways with the top toward the front of the Spyder (her communicator doesn't even touch the sides because the helmet curves inward). Even so, usually there needs more squashing to get them in far enough that the frunk lid can close easily so there won't be any issue with jamming. The problem is that her helmet binds on the sides of the frunk, preventing it from going all the way to the bottom. There's at least an inch or two of empty space that I can feel at the bottom below her helmet. If I could eliminate the binding on the sides, her helmet would go all the way down to the bottom, my helmet would fit easily above it and I probably wouldn't even have to remove the communicator to do it.

Once it's all in there, it's extremely convenient. We can cope with the PITA factor but wish we could skip the 5 minutes of adjusting and squashing every time we stop somewhere. I've wondered whether taking out the carpet on the sides at the bottom would give just enough additional width to let her helmet go the rest of the way to the bottom. Or, could the shape of the frunk be modified to make it even 1/4" wider? Does anyone have a similar issue, and if so, how have you dealt with it. Or, is there some other secret to helmet storage that I'm missing? I know there are devices for external helmet storage but I just really don't want to go there if I don't have to, not when this comes sooooo close to being ideal.

In the same boat, but with different results. I have an Arai XL with Sena 20S and it fits in the frunk. My wife puts her helmet, a Schuberth M with Sena 20S, in the side case on the right side. Both helmets fit perfectly well in that configuration.

When traveling I just remove my Sena and lock the helmet down onto the outside of the bike, because we carry our gear in the frunk.
    Last edited by KX5062; 01-12-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Sounds like 'Father BRP' needs/should listen the the Spyder Children. YES, I think that BRP NEEDS to FIX This SMALL Problem.
    Buy a 2017 or 2018 F3L and both full face helmets will fit in the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    In the same boat, but with different results. I have an Arai XL with Sena 20S and it fits in the frunk. My wife puts her helmet, a Schuberth M with Sena 20S, in the side case on the left side. Both helmets fit perfectly well in that configuration.

When traveling I just remove my Sena and lock the helmet down onto the outside of the bike, because we carry our gear in the frunk.
    Nope I don't work for them but Lidlox are your solution. Leaves all storage available for your gear even if you are traveling all the way to Valcourt!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Joe, thank you for the information! I wondered about the purpose of the "hump" in the left bag as it did not seem to me that anything was there. I may cut mine out as it would be great to have an equal amount of storage on the left as the right. Any tips on how much of the hump can be cutout?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Left saddlebag has a molded in area to clear where the battery was. That can be cut out, fiberglassed over, and then hold a helmet.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As Joe said, the right side usually holds a helmet quite easily. We can put mine or my wife's helmet in the right side. Her's is a Schuberth C3 Pro modular and mine is a Shoei Neotec modular both with Sena 10s. Taking the Sena off should make it even easier.
    In addition we have the Lidlox helmet holders for when we are traveling and the storage areas are full.
    If you remove the Sena from your wife's, will it fit more easily into the frunk?

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Same problem ..

Wifey Deb could place her helmet (old Shoei RF1000) with the Sena attached, in the right side case (right side sitting on bike) with no problem.
    Just bought her a clearance sale Shoei Quest --- NO WAY will that helmet go where the other one went.

But for years now, we've been cable locking our helmets on the seats. This also stops the unwanted passer by from straddling the bike for a photo op.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Joe, thank you for the information! I wondered about the purpose of the "hump" in the left bag as it did not seem to me that anything was there. I may cut mine out as it would be great to have an equal amount of storage on the left as the right. Any tips on how much of the hump can be cutout?

Rob
    I also thank you. I'll try to see what it takes this winter so I can have a bit more storage next riding season.
    I'll be honest, I can't figure ou why BRP didn't do it automatically when they redesigned the battery location.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I'm so glad Sena made integrated units for Shoei, HJC, Arai and Schuberth! Those things look hideous sticking out on the side of a helmet!!

IMG_3437.jpg
    Bruce A. Brown #164572
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Spyder Garage

Default Here is what I use

I use this helmet locking system behind the license plate. Used it on my ST1100 and now on my 2015 RT S. If it is raining I have a waterproof bag for helmets I can stick it in.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that tidbit Joe, I did not know the left box could be cut out. I think Chris has a new job today, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Holds a helmet. Easy. Frunk holds a helmet. Left saddlebag has a molded in area to clear where the battery was. That can be cut out, fiberglassed over, and then hold a helmet. Try the right side saddlebag again. Even with Sena20’s, it fits. Joe
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    I'm so glad Sena made integrated units for Shoei, HJC, Arai and Schuberth! Those things look hideous sticking out on the side of a helmet!!
    Funny, I can't see my Sena with my helmet on and don't give a about what others think of my or my Spyder's looks.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default HELMET NON-STORAGE

TIME FOR A TRAILER!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Why would you think BRP needs to fix this? What would you do with your helmet if you were on a 2 wheeler? I agree it is a small problem, it would be nice if they did but it's not up to BRP to fix IMHO.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    Why would you think BRP needs to fix this? What would you do with your helmet if you were on a 2 wheeler? I agree it is a small problem, it would be nice if they did but it's not up to BRP to fix IMHO.
    I've owned several Guzzis, Hondas and Yamahas over the years that I could put helmets inside the bags,,,out of the weather and sticky fingers. I will pull my trailer often just to keep the jackets and helmets out of the hot sun. Hate a hot lid.

I find this a very basic need that shouldn't take much remolding to change. The RT basically hasn't changed since it was introduced. I believe they've gotten their good out of the molds. Even just a small change on the interior mold may be able to accommodate most helmets. Shouldn't be that big a deal with todays technology.

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I use this helmet locking system behind the license plate. Used it on my ST1100 and now on my 2015 RT S. If it is raining I have a waterproof bag for helmets I can stick it in.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black
    I used to have one of these until the license plate bolts came loose and it fell off. Found the plate but not the guardian. I thought they were no longer made ( had mine for 15 years various bikes) so thanks for posting this.

The OP did not want to deal with outside solutions. I am able to put my XL Scorpion with Sena HMR 10 in the fronk and my wife's M HJC modular with sena HMR10 in one of the side bags. If we are traveling any where tho that is not possible and so I use a bike chain thru the helmet holders under the seat and thru the D rings.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Clip under the seat

There are actually clips under the seat for the helmet but I've never seen a helmet that had a chin strap long enough to use and then lock the seat
    down, so I made these extensions out of scrap stainless:

DSCF8034.jpgDSCF8039.jpgDSCF8037.jpgDSCF8036.jpgDSCF8032.jpg

You can see the plastic clip under the seat in the first picture. I have a print if anyone wants one.

Spyder Garage

Default Hanging my helmet

@JFD - those are pretty awesome and easily recreated. Thanks for the pics! It reminds me of how I used to hang my helmet on my old 1974 Honda 250.

Unless I'm headed inside for an extended period of time I usually just hang my helmet on my handlebars. I've been riding two-wheeled MCs for decades and have never had a helmet stolen.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

For the very few times my wife is with me and we've loaded all the compartments I've made some loops out of plastic covered small diameter wire cable to do the same thing as JFD's neat holders. They are very nicely done!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Left RT bag mod

Use a dremel, and cut out that corner where it sticks in. Continue the back and sides as if it were not there to begin with. We tried Kydex for another project, and it would work great for this. BRP never changed the bag when they moved the battery, so that space is vacant behind the bag.
    John, put the smaller helmet in the right bag, larger in the Frunk. Or, buy a couple of small dog choke chain collars. Hang on seat hooks. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system