Thread: New toy hauler?

Spyder Garage

Default New toy hauler?

We are thinking about replacing our present camper with a toy hauler. We are thinking about the Forest River Grey Wolf 22rr (wide door) which would be tight for our 2015 RTs, but should work. Anyone have any experience with this hauler? We will obviously test fit our spyder before we purchase, but that won't happen for several months with salt on the roads, just curious.
    2015 Rt S Se

Spyder Garage

I can't comment specifically on the 22rr, but I had a 26rr and the ramp was too inclined to make loading easy. This was especially true when backing up the ramp as that provided more room around the kitchen area. Measure carefully and be prepared to take the trailer off the hitch to lessen the ramp incline.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    I can't comment specifically on the 22rr, but I had a 26rr and the ramp was too inclined to make loading easy. This was especially true when backing up the ramp as that provided more room around the kitchen area. Measure carefully and be prepared to take the trailer off the hitch to lessen the ramp incline.
    Thanks, we are looking at that model as well. I thought it might need to be loaded off the hitch, the electric jack is a nice feature.
    2015 Rt S Se

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We are happy with the Vengeance 29V a tight fit front to back, but it fits. The vengeance is built in the same Forrest River facilities in Topeka IN as the Grey Wolf. We also have stacked a couple of 2x6's placed them in line with the front tires at the bottom of the ramp to lift the nose of the spyder so it does not hit the ramp. We are currently Snowbirds in FL. going to 82F today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have a Work and Play by Forrest River. (25WAB) I had a W&P 18EC before that. Very happy with both. The 25WAP is actually 30' and the 18EC is 20'. Be sure to measure the width in side for the Spyder on anything you buy. Spyder's are 60" wide and you will need 65-67" to be comfortable between refer/cabinets and opposite wheel well.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Exact same thing we have. Only issues we had was driving up the ramp, backwards. To make it much easier we purchased race ramps and that made it a no brainier. Race ramps is the brand.
    The Spyder won't fit driving it in head first. Love the 22rr Toy Hauler though
    Last edited by R30SHIRE; 02-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

We have what's called a19ft Sportsman but it's measurement is 22ft from front to back. The left wheel is one inch from the refrigerator cabinet. I installed a small wheel block to the base. We have tow it over 20000 miles the last two year, travel for 300 to 400 miles camp for 4day ride the spyder 3days.

0703151714a.jpg0704151308.jpg0704151308a.jpg0704151307.jpg

Spyder Garage

For those worried about ramp angle for the Spyder:

Unhook the hitch and raise the TH nose as far as possible with Electric or Manual hitch jack.

Lower the ramp onto a 4x4 or two 2x4's and use 1/2 sheet of 5/8 plywood to form entry onto ramp.

I personally use 2 2x4's 6 feet long set on edge inside for guidance and safety on the outside of the spyder. This keeps the Spyder from moving sideways and doing any damage to the cabinets/refer or spyder.

Using this method you will never high center or damage your
    spyder when loading.

Jack

Now you simply lower the hitch right back onto the ball, secure and you are ready to go. I would suggest chocks on the front of the trailer to prevent forward movement while loading

All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post
    Exact same thing we have. Only issues we had was driving up the ramp, backwards. To make it much easier we purchased race ramps and that made it a no brainier. Race ramps is the brand.
    Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. How well does it fit between the stove and the pantry, that was my gretest concern. Does it need to be angled, anything else to know about?
    2015 Rt S Se

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input Jack, we considered the Work and Play line as well.
    2015 Rt S Se

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    I have a Spartan 300 and what I do is place a couple of 2X6s 3 ft. long in front of the the front wheels and it runs up the ramp like a dream.

Spyder Garage

Default Race Ramps - Trailer Mates?

Quote Originally Posted by R30SHIRE View Post

We are also considering the Race Ramps and saw the Trailer Mates to keep tires in place. Are you by any chance using those as well? What do you use to secure the Spyder inside the hauler?
    We are new to the hauling world but excited to start traveling with our toys!