Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH TOW BEHIND TRAILER

just wondering how different you ride when you are towing, what highway speed difference do you do.
    how does it feel on the bumps and what weight is yours?
    i have mini trailer voyager, got in last month but haven't used it yet.
    Last edited by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN; 01-30-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    just wondering how different you ride when you are towing, what highway speed difference do you do.
    We have a harbor freight trailer and on our first road trip we stayed off the interstates. We ran 60 sometimes 65 but not too often. My wife takes the kitchen sink with her where ever he goes. I barely noticed the trailer at all, and had to keep double checking in the rear view to make sure. The trailer is a 600 pound trailer but tongue weight is 400 I believe. We have a 2013 RTL with the 998. Hope this helps

Dave

Spyder Garage

Ask or wait for SpyderAnn01's reply. No one logs more miles towing than she, and she doesn't drag her feet.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    We have a harbor freight trailer and on our first road trip we stayed off the interstates. We ran 60 sometimes 65 but not too often. My wife takes the kitchen sink with her where ever he goes. I barely noticed the trailer at all, and had to keep double checking in the rear view to make sure. The trailer is a 600 pound trailer but tongue weight is 400 I believe. We have a 2013 RTL with the 998. Hope this helps

Dave
    400 tongue weight? your rtl pulls a 600lb trailer? i also have a '13 RT and i expect to pull ~ 400lbs.
    how is breaking is one of the things i worry about especially in an emergency.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a northern trailer with a custom built aluminum box ( 40'' X 48'') and loaded it is close to
    300 pounds with a tongue weight of about 35 lbs. and riding two up I have pulled it as fast as
    100 mph and did not know it was back there. Just allow more time for stopping and you will
    be fine.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

We tow an Aspen Sentry camper when camping. Mileage cuts from 39 to about 26 with two up and the trailer. You really do not feel it behind the bike. The zipper pocket in the cover is a great storage place to put coats when changing. I keep the trailer weight to as close to 400lb as possible and keep tongue weight to 40lb. using a scale. the biggest thing to keep in mind is braking early and driving very defensively - as if we don't already!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

We both pull trailers, I pull an Aspen knock-off and my wife pulls a dog trailer or a cargo trailer. The Aspen tops out at 430 lbs with 40 lbs tongue weight, we usually stay off the interstates because we like to stop and smell the roses. We have run the super slabs at 70-80 when we have to but that's not why we bought touring bikes. We've logged at least 50,000 miles pulling trailers so I talking from experience not just opinions . The most important thing is to keep in mind that you have extra weight behind you.
    Red Rock 060 - Copy.jpg i phone photos 049.jpg Glacier Park Ride 009.jpg IMG_2038.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

anyone had any issues with towing or any problems before?
    and thanks to all, i have never towed with bike or car so i am a little worried until i put on some miles. i plan on
    using mine every sunday with 78 mile round trip and will go to wildwood nj for kite festival memorial day weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Same trailer

i have mini trailer voyager, got in last month but haven't used it yet.
    I have the same trailer, but ryde a F3-T. I have only traveled about 75 miles pulling it with the F3-T before putting in hibernation, so my experience is limited on this. About 55 miles were freeway, and I had no problem going 70 MPH. I was in California at the time, the speed limit for vehicles pulling trailers is 55 MPH, so did not want to try and push my luck with getting a ticket. Like others have said I did not know it was even behind me, and I too had to keep checking my mirrors to make sure it was there. Just make sure you give more time for stopping.

On a side note. When I picked up the trailer in Oklahoma I pulled it back to California with my Prius , and the trailer pulls better behind the F3-T than it did behind the Prius.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just wondering how different you ride when you are towing, what highway speed difference do you do. how does it feel on the bumps and what weight is yours? i have mini trailer voyager, got in last month but haven't used it yet.
    I have two trailers. They each weigh about 250# loaded. I notice no difference in handling, but my bike is a little slower on acceleration and takes more brake pressure to stop.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

anyone had any issues with towing or any problems before?
    and thanks to all, i have never towed with bike or car so i am a little worried until i put on some miles. i plan on
    using mine every sunday with 78 mile round trip and will go to wildwood nj for kite festival memorial day weekend.
    Just remember to make your right turns a little wider, but left turns are no problem. Also the biggest tip is plan your path to avoid having to back up if you are not skilled in doing so. It is not hard, but just takes practice.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 01-30-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i also have a '13 RT and i expect to pull ~ 400lbs. how is breaking is one of the things i worry about especially in an emergency.
    If you figure the bike is 1,000# loaded (approximately), then a 400# trailer is adding 40% to the overall weight of the rig when towing. It takes quite a bit more pressure on the brake to slow it down, but the brakes are up to it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt there is another RT-622 trailer with as many miles on it as mine has. Since we began traveling as Squared Away my trailer is loaded with all of our tools so it is likely a much heavier load than most of you will haul in yours. With my 14 RT I had to downshift on hills to try to maintain speed but with the F3T I only lose power on the steepest inclines.

I always increase my following distance when towing so I am sure I can stop. Parking with the trailer will likely be the hardest thing for you to learn but practice and you’ll be fine.

Keep your wheel bearings greased and check your tires.

As for speed, I travel at or above the speed limit towing and have no issues. In the west we have Interstate speeds of 80 mph and I do that just fine. Of course I don’t go 80 in heavy traffic. Just use your head, pay attention and you’ll be good.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 01-30-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Expect to drop a couple MPGs and realize breaking will be a bit (not much) slower and passing vehicles takes a bit more room. Otherwise, the Spyder will handle a properly sized and loaded trailer with ease. The only time I could feel the effects of having a trailer was going down hill through twisties. I could feel the trailer trying to "push" the rear of the Spyder. I have not pulled the trailer since replacing the rear Kenda but I suspect pulling a trailer with that weak tire was the biggest reason I was feeling that push.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default trl for spyder

I built my own using a Sears car top carrier .... it weighs 110lbs empty .... I devised a stiff hitch ( using a tie rod end ) and I don't know if it's there while towing .... even at the max 400 lbs ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Post Sorry

400 tongue weight? your rtl pulls a 600lb trailer? i also have a '13 RT and i expect to pull ~ 400lbs.
    how is breaking is one of the things i worry about especially in an emergency.
    I think I meant 400 pound total sorry

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I doubt there is another RT-622 trailer with as many miles on it as mine has. Just use your head, pay attention and you’ll be good.
    Best piece of advice you can have. I have been towing since 1993 with never an incident because I try to follow this advice. Since I don't take Interstates very much ant more my usually top speed is around 70mph. I leave plenty of room when following another to stop and plenty of room to pass,I just can't accelerate as fast as when not towing. I currently tow a Hannigan Europa I and it is great.Hannigan Trailer 1.jpg

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have towed a bunkhouse camper for a two week vacation every year for the last three avaraging about 5,000 miles for each one. We run all back roads if we can, nut out west that was still 75 MPH.
    Running from a nasty rainstorm on our heals on the way home 2 years ago, we hit the freeway and ran 80 MPH for about 175 miles and then hit a hotel.
    2015 RTL does a GREAT job of towing the trailer. 20160622_124648_001.jpg

No Problem towing, no problem handling, running slow speeds still get over 30MPG, running freeway speeds just below 30MPG, and a lot of those variables depend on the prevailing winds.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone, i wanted to make sure cruising at 70mph would be ok on the long haul

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I currently tow a Hannigan Europa I and it is great.Hannigan Trailer 1.jpg
    Nice trailer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Oh I forgot to give my thanks to mini trailer usa for what i believe is an excellent made trailer and all their help
    in deciding which model would work best for my needs.

Spyder Garage

Default Another Harbor Freight Here

Don't even know it is there with the 1330 - so much torque. Love it! Have the clamshell style they discontinued for some reason, so if you see one get it!