Spyder Garage

Default Audio settings for "helmet" on my 2017 RT

When going through the settings in the manual on the Spyder's control panel, there is a setting for "helmet" illustrated as an option under "Audio". But nothing further is explained. How does this work? Does my 2017 have Bluetooth? Sorry, I just got my Spyder in late November and it has been in storage at the dealer since a week later, so I can't go out and fiddle with the settings. I got a pair of the BT-2S Bluetooth units for Christmas and wonder if these can be connected to the trikes onboard audio systems with this helmet setting.

I've been doing a lot of reading since joining the Forum. This is an excellent resource. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dana; 01-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde.

The setting you mention is new to me. Others may have a good answer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    When going through the settings in the manual on the Spyder's control panel, there is a setting for "helmet" illustrated as an option under "Audio". But nothing further is explained. How does this work? Does my 2017 have Bluetooth? Sorry, I just got my Spyder in late November and it has been in storage at the dealer since a week later, so I can't go out and fiddle with the settings. I got a pair of the BT-2S Bluetooth units for Christmas and wonder if these can be connected to the trikes onboard audio systems with this helmet setting.

I've been doing a lot of reading since joining the Forum. This is an excellent resource. Thanks.
    My Spyder is also a 2017, so your post intrigued me. I believe I located the reference to which you refer at Page 36, where the picture shows Audio Options and one of the choices is "headset mode." However, my own 2017 is in my garage, so I turned on the ignition and went to my own options screen. The listing is similar but not quite the same and "headset mode" is not there. I suspect the picture at Page 36 is a legacy picture from some older model, especially since the one and only place I can find it is part of the description of "Selecting the Region." I think "headset mode" just happened to be in view when they took that picture and they never bothered to change it when they reprogrammed the system.

To my knowledge the Spyder doesn't work with Bluetooth, at least not without some kind of adapter. I wouldn't mind playing the radio through my helmet but it's frankly a lot easier to just get a mount for a cell phone and connect that to your helmet bluetooth ... that will get you both radio, MP3 music and GPS directions through your helmet. If you are really worried about battery life, I guess you could have a power cord for your phone run to the center of the handlebars.

I'd really love for somebody smart to correct me on all of this.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Cool Bluetooth capability

I don’t believe the 2017 has Bluetooth capability but they did bring it out in the 2018
    Can’t tell you much more about it as I have one on order and it’s all new to me

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    ...I suspect the picture at Page 36 is a legacy picture from some older model, especially since the one and only place I can find it is part of the description of "Selecting the Region." I think "headset mode" just happened to be in view when they took that picture and they never bothered to change it when they reprogrammed the system...I'd really love for somebody smart to correct me on all of this.
    IMO, BRP is professionally negligent in the preparation of Operator's Guides. Their editing and proofreading is abysmal. When the 1330 ACE engine was introduced in MY 2014 their picture of the dipstick was of a V-twin engine of some previous generation that looked nothing like the real 1330 one. That was just the first one I noticed when I wanted to find out how to check my oil level before I left the dealership. They still have not corrected the online version of the 2014 RT Operator's Guide. What the hell, throw in five quarts and you're good to go.(That's sarcasm.)
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    My Spyder is also a 2017, so your post intrigued me. I believe I located the reference to which you refer at Page 36, where the picture shows Audio Options and one of the choices is "headset mode." However, my own 2017 is in my garage, so I turned on the ignition and went to my own options screen. The listing is similar but not quite the same and "headset mode" is not there. I suspect the picture at Page 36 is a legacy picture from some older model, especially since the one and only place I can find it is part of the description of "Selecting the Region." I think "headset mode" just happened to be in view when they took that picture and they never bothered to change it when they reprogrammed the system.

To my knowledge the Spyder doesn't work with Bluetooth, at least not without some kind of adapter. I wouldn't mind playing the radio through my helmet but it's frankly a lot easier to just get a mount for a cell phone and connect that to your helmet bluetooth ... that will get you both radio, MP3 music and GPS directions through your helmet. If you are really worried about battery life, I guess you could have a power cord for your phone run to the center of the handlebars.

I'd really love for somebody smart to correct me on all of this.
    Your answer is exactly what I thought the answer would be. I figured if there were anything more to it, there would be a further explanation following it showing in a picture. I plan on running things through my phone, but thought it wise to ask the question regardless.

Thanks to all for their input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, BRP is professionally negligent in the preparation of Operator's Guides. Their editing and proofreading is abysmal. When the 1330 ACE engine was introduced in MY 2014 their picture of the dipstick was of a V-twin engine of some previous generation that looked nothing like the real 1330 one. That was just the first one I noticed when I wanted to find out how to check my oil level before I left the dealership. They still have not corrected the online version of the 2014 RT Operator's Guide. What the hell, throw in five quarts and you're good to go.(That's sarcasm.)
    I think you are right on the money here. It does appear they use the copy/paste method for new manuals. Lot's of glitches and bad pictures because they have not taken the time to get it right and update the information for new models and modifications.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I think you are right on the money here. It does appear they use the copy/paste method for new manuals. Lot's of glitches and bad pictures because they have not taken the time to get it right and update the information for new models and modifications.
    Well, that probably explains why the Spyders are so reasonably priced. All that money they save on the manuals..

Spyder Garage

Well, that probably explains why the Spyders are so reasonably priced. All that money they save on the manuals..
    There ya go.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new spyder andto the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

This just a guess on my part and it was engendered from experience with other Spyder radio controls. I think the headset mode will only appear if you actually have the wired headsets that come as part of the CD radio. I am guessing you don't have those so nothing appears.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default headset

My 2015 has the BRP CB and has a headset adjustment, where I can either have all headset, all speakers, or a percentage of sound to each. This may be what you see in the book.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

One would hope workshop manuals are perfect. Sometimes not. I had a workshop manual for an old Chevy LUV. Working on the transmission the manual said, 'remove this nut'. I did and the spring inside (not supposed to be there) blew out forcefully, fortunately missing my head. My office was about a half-mile from the workshop manual creators. I took it by, explained the issue. They said, "OOPS, missed that one. Here is a copy of the correct page." Thanks I said. So yes, S(tuff) does happen.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of my pet peeves from almost day one of owning a Spyder is the obvious lack of an adequate quality management program in their documentation program. Not only are there errors in their manuals but a serious lack of consistency in nomeclature. The same item can appear under two or three different names between sections of the service manual or between the owner's manual and service manual. I pointed out a glaring example in the thread about grommet size. Two grommets are in the parts list. The oval one is called a washer. The round one is a grommet. The microswitch, a universal name, for the frunk lid is called some other crazy name that I don't recall right now. The entire parts breakdown and groupings in the parts manual is inconsistent from one year to the next.

The QA program in BRP documentation is, in a word, pathetic.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)