Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi automatic

Spyder Garage

Default Semi automatic

I have never driven any of the SE spyders but I would like to know how they work? I have heard that most people enjoy them that tries them and with my health issues I think I may like one. I understand most people like the 1330 engines, but seeing I will not be doing highways and I do not go over speed limits most of the time I like to under because when I ride it is for enjoyment and stress relief. With my style of riding does it really matter if I went with a 998 engine? I know I need to try them and see what I like but it is winter and driving one at this time of year in NY is not something I will be doing. One other question I see there are special events that are just for spyder riders I was curious if anyone goes to the one in PA and can tell me what vendors usually go and what to expect if I would decide to go. My boyfriend rides a honda shadow and he would be driving his because I never drive alone would he be able to attend or do you have to have a spyder to be able to attend? I know I am asking several questions but I really am trying to learn as much as possible to get a better idea of what to look for comes spring.

Spyder Garage

Default SE

Quote Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
    I have never driven any of the SE spyders but I would like to know how they work? UP-SHIFT WITH LEFT THUMB, DOWN SHIFTS ON IT'S OWN, OR YOU CAN DO IT WITH YOUR LEFT INDEX FINGER... I have heard that most people enjoy them that tries them and with my health issues I think I may like one. I understand most people like the 1330 engines, but seeing I will not be doing highways and I do not go over speed limits most of the time I like to under because when I ride it is for enjoyment and stress relief. 1330 IS A MUCH SMOOTHER ENGINE, AND MUCH QUIETER THAN THE 990's... With my style of riding does it really matter if I went with a 998 engine? I know I need to try them and see what I like but it is winter and driving one at this time of year in NY is not something I will be doing. One other question I see there are special events that are just for spyder riders I was curious if anyone goes to the one in PA and can tell me what vendors usually go and what to expect if I would decide to go. ALL SPYD3R EVENTS ARE ATTENDED BY A LOT OF US.... YOU'LL FIND ALL YOUR NEW FRIENDS AT ANY OF THESE EVENTS.... My boyfriend rides a honda shadow and he would be driving his because I never drive alone would he be able to attend or do you have to have a spyder to be able to attend? SPYD3R'S ARE NOT AN ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENTS, BUT ONCE YOUR BOYFRIEND SEES THE ACTION, HE'LL BE BUYING ONE.... I know I am asking several questions but I really am trying to learn as much as possible to get a better idea of what to look for comes spring.
    ADVISE: JUST DO IT....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

This thread has a lot of great information that is good winter reading:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

While the V-twin Spyder engines are very reliable they are old technology, high revving engines and centrifugal locking clutches, and have been discontinued in MY 2018 leaving only the 1330 ACE three cylinder engine, one that has a broader torque band, hydraulic clutch lock-up system and six speed transmission. The 1330 engine requires less maintanance, gets better gas mileage and is a newer generation concept than the V-twins. A new or previously owned, well cared for 1300 engined Spyder might be just what you and your budget are looking for.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

While the V-twin Spyder engines are very reliable they are old technology, high revving engines and centrifugal locking clutches, and have been discontinued in MY 2018 leaving only the 1330 ACE three cylinder engine, one that has a broader torque band, hydraulic clutch lock-up system and six speed transmission. The 1330 engine requires less maintanance, gets better gas mileage and is a newer generation concept than the V-twins. A new or previously owned, well cared for 1300 engined Spyder might be just what you and your budget are looking for.
    I will read that thank you not sure how I missed it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In spite of the anti-998 bias you will read here don't pass one up if you can find a super deal on it. If you're going to ride 20,000 miles a year, then yeah, the 1330 would be the smarter choice. But if you're going to do easy riding for only a couple of thousand miles a year then the 998 can be a great choice. If you are more inclined for ease and comfort of operating the bike, and machismo isn't your thing, go for the semi-auto for sure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BETTER - BEST ?????

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

........I've owned both and to me there's no comparison ( I have a 2014 RT w SE trans )...... But you have to live with the decision ..... So what anyone likes is really not important .... this isn't a question of Great vs. Garbage .... it's personal preferences ..... you should really try Both .... then make your choice ...........good luck ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    In spite of the anti-998 bias you will read here don't pass one up if you can find a super deal on it.
    Can't really argue with that.

But the other side of the coin is: IF you can easily afford a newer model year with the 1330, that should be a better gamble on a used machine.
    New is even better because of the warranty.

I'm a bit biased as the 998 I had for a short while had several minor but important things wrong with it that the previous owner and the selling dealer both "overlooked". I hope that experience is not typical of most older used models.

To the original question:
    I didn't think I would like the semi-automatic but I really DO.

Spyder Garage

Our first was a 2011 RTS that we got in April last year. We put 4800 miles on it just riding around the hills. The only issue we had with it was the throttle bodies went out and robbed us out of almost three weeks of riding. Fortunately BRP treated this as a warranty issue and covered the repair. Traded it in this year for a 2017. Haven't got to ride it much, but does seem to ride better. The extra power in the Hills will be nice.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Did we make a mistake ?

Was just wondering ? We purchased out 2013 RT Limited with the 998 in it this past summer. Am looking at ti crapping out on me in a couple more years etc.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Our first Spyder was a 2010 SM (manual shift) 998. We loved it. This spring we decided we could afford to upgrade to a 1330 SE, and we're very glad we made the decision. I had zero issues with the 998 SM, and we loved every mile we put on it. If you can afford it, jump right to a 1330 SE6 and put all of the mental anguish behind you. As mentioned, if you stumble upon a killer deal for an SM 998, go for it, but don't discount the 1330 SE. Search around, you might be able to find a leftover 1330 SE somewhere that a dealer wants to get rid of. As mentioned, it's winter, so you have time to do your homework.......We bought our first Spyder in Feb. Man it was hard to wait for nice weather....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    Was just wondering ? We purchased out 2013 RT Limited with the 998 in it this past summer. Am looking at ti crapping out on me in a couple more years etc.

Dave
    I think you need to explain the question a bit.

There is nothing inherent or known with the basic mechanical design of the engine or transmission of the 998 vintage machines that gives them an "expiration date".......unless maybe you will be doing EXTREMELY high mileage.

You can read the posts here and see what little things become troublesome for some people over time.
    Keep in mind that people in general do NOT post: "I've had my 998 for 5 years and had nothing fail."
    Those in that situation just sit quietly by, grinning.

Spyder Garage

You will enjoy either the 998 or the 1330. Riding them is a bit different, the 998 needs to be kept higher in the rev range to get the most out of it.
    The 1330 came out in 2014 and the 998 was completely replaced in 2016 in all models by the 1330.
    Try to ride both.
    You will enjoy riding a Spyder. It will take a few miles to get really comfortable on it. But then, wow!
    Last edited by ofdave; 01-06-2018 at 01:09 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 998 V-twin

Dave
    The 998 and it's variations have been around for a very long time..... It's been modified and improved over the course of about 25+ years ..... a lot can be said for that in a positive way ........ I personally prefer the 1330, it's smoother , quieter, and doesn't seem to work as hard ....... If the Honda Gold Wings had motors that you had to keep at 5000 + rpms I don't think they would have been as successful and instead of 5 million there might have only been 1 million sold.......jmho ....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-06-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good answers on the operation of the SE above.

I do not wish to fuel the 998 vs. 1330 fire here. I have owned a total of Five Spyders. Four have been 998's and One is the 1330.

One has been the manual transmission (08) and the rest have been the SE. My five 's have been driven a total of 140,000 miles combined. I still own one of each engine configuration and both are SE.

My thoughts:

Manual vs. SE: A customer call for sure. In 08, I did not have a choice. 09, I bought the SE for the spouse who could not shift a bike manually. All the other 's purchased have been SE.

They cost about $1,500 extra for SE. You get your money back when you sell or trade. Manuals are not as popular in the used market (IMO). Performance: Six of one, half dozen of the other.
    Use: Most prefer the fingertip shifting.

Engine Configuration: 998 more "peppy". 1330 more low end torque and quieter operation. Mileage: the 1330 will give about 10 mpg more than the 998. Think average tank range 150 on the 998 and 200 on the 1330. Maintenance: the 998 requires more frequent oil changes (4500 miles or so) the 1330 (9500 or once a year). 998 suggests valve check services at 14,000 miles ($800 extra if you do them). The 1330 requires no valve check servicing.

There you go. It's your money, and your decision. Bottom line--try both to see what you like.

PS. My 2011 998 is for sale for $11,000. Here is a link to my ad. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...RT-A-amp-C-SE5
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-06-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good stuff above....

But from your post....I would think you better off with the 1330 triple. Mind you I am a diehard V-twin ryder but to really enjoy that platform you have to be more agressive as it is a high RPM engine. That is one of the main reasons most ryders here have been switching to the triiple, thougjh they won't admit it... The semi-auto is much improved in the triple with the added gear and the hydraulic clutch so this will do well for you. But as always....test ryde them and go from there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No one has really said it. so I will.... The manual clutch pull effort is only a tad bit short of Herculean! Even with the vacuum assist, which only assists at high engine vacuum(read: at idle) is barely livable IMHO. I had a heavy clutch on a couple of my 2 wheelers. I thought they had the gnarliest clutch pull ever but manual shift Spyder puts them to shame!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    No one has really said it. so I will.... The manual clutch pull effort is only a tad bit short of Herculean!
    Maybe most nobody else agrees with that.

It certainly was NOT the case with the RT that I had for a while.
    And I have small hands.

Spyder Garage

Dave
    No more than anyone else is Dave, 1330 or 998 motor regardless!! If your 2013 RT Ltd has had the heat recall work done, it's arguably the best of the V-twins, and many of us prefer that V-twin motor over the lazy (albeit torquey) 1330 for the 998's more sprightly & enjoyable ryding response! Sure, it might not get quite the same fuel range or need slightly more frequent servicing, but hey, you'll generally have a helluva lot more fun along the way!

Just Ryde More, and Worry Less!

Or if you prefer, it's not What you ryde, it's That you ryde that's important!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
    because I never drive alone
    You may find you ride on your own more once you get a Spyder. I rarely rode alone when I had a Harley, but I have no hesitation about riding on my own now. So far, I've probably done more solo riding than jaunts together, though I enjoy both.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Default clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

And I have small hands.
    I have large hands and at first, the clutch on my 2015 F3 was very tiring, but over time my hand has gotten stronger and it's not a problem any more. I can see where someone with smaller hands who didn't have the clutch handle adjusted for them properly could have a problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

And I have small hands.
    Weird! Everybody that I know that has a Spyder or has even just pulled the manual clutch lever, has hated it!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default if you can

Our first Spyder is a 1330 the ace three cylinder so I'm not familiar with any of the V twins but giving up my goldwing for the Spyder was a tough decision but all in all I would not go back to pulling a clutch lever I do not miss a clutch. I would go with the 1330 with the semi auto trany. just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Weird! Everybody that I know that has a Spyder or has even just pulled the manual clutch lever, has hated it!

I have an '08 GS SM5. I am a small person with small hands.

I find clutch pull effort to be no problem at all
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    many of us prefer that V-twin motor over the lazy (albeit torquey) 1330 for the 998's more sprightly & enjoyable

IF.....you keep the rev's of your 1330 up in the same range where most people ride their 998's......you should notice that all of that "laziness" magically goes away !!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is not mentioned on here very often.........so I ASSumed that it wasn't a problem for most.