Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My initial concerns relate to durability and mechanical complexity. If it's a complex solution, it may be more fussy to maintain. The Spyder's current suspension draws from many years of automotive suspensions and chassis design; it's pretty straightforward and thus easy to make sturdy and durable. Who knows? Maybe durability won't be an issue. Perhaps the solution isn't as hard as I imagine.

However, if the bike leans, you're right back to the relatively shorter life of regular motorcycle tires -- and now you have to pony up for three, not two. Quality motorcycle tires ain't cheap.

Finally, looking at those designs, there's no room for a frunk, so maybe the Spyder will retain the edge for cargo capacity. And towing ability.

Spyder Garage

Default Sturgis reverse trike kit

Have any of you seen the Sturgis reverse trike kit thats being installed on the Honda Goldwings? It's amazing how much they look like the Can Am Spyder!
    The Sturgis website is not in English, but check out Gene's Gallery in Springfield,MO. to see pics and get info. It might be fun to visit Gene's while down at SpyderFest in May.
    We're interested to see them and may trade the Spyder for one eventually, primarily because of Honda's track record for reliability which I'm not sure Can Am can beat.
    We love our 2015 RT Limited, but have been discouraged this past riding season with our oil leak issues (which are hopefully fixed now, but will have to wait for Spring to be sure)

Check 'em out and let me know what y'all think!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

Default Sturgis reverse trike kit

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    SORRY, but this just doesn't compete with our SPYD3RS......
    those front wheels need to be connected to a Double-Wish-Bone configuration to compete.... until a manufacturer comes out with a similar configuration, i'm not interested....
    i truly hope that HONDA is researching a direct competitor to BRP's creation....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    IMHO the Yamahas are really awful looking. We do like the looks of the Sturgis reverse trike its installed on the Honda Goldwings. Look very much like the Spyder!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Still these models are like the threewheeled scooters. They have a very narrow stance with a massive amount of suspension parts up front.. I personally don't want a three wheel leaner. I would go back to two wheels you loose all the benefits ...

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    . . . The Spyder is for more sedate riding, . . .
    Speake for yourself. I don't ryde sedate! I'd challenge any 3-wheel leaner to beat me in the twisties.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

Speake for yourself. I don't ryde sedate! I'd challenge any 3-wheel leaner to beat me in the twisties.
    Sedate for ME, compared to my GSXR. I've never been able to beat my 2 wheeled time up one stretch of local twisties on a Spyder. 600lbs Spyder vs 424lb sportbike?

Yes the Spyder can be faster than most all cruisers and other non-race reps. We've beaten that one to death before.
    Last edited by asp125; 01-08-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Saw this article at Spyder Life Magazine. http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...nster/1002602/

Looks like Yamaha will now have 3 reverse trike type models soon. I have to think Honda will be close behind since they have been showing concept bikes the last few years.

What I find interesting.....Both Honda and Yamaha are showing, and in Yamaha's case building, 3 wheeled, reverse trike designs that lean. How long and how many people have been on this forum asking for BRP to have a leaning Spyder? I'm not sure why BRP has such a reluctance to building leaning and performance minded Spyders but this may finally force them to do so.
    you have your TRIKE, one wheel in front 2 in back, then you have a ROADSTER, 2 wheels in front , 1 in back.. Reverse trike? I did have a person asking who is riding the "tri-pod looking thingy", that is my favorite reference to the Spyder as of now..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    you have your TRIKE, one wheel in front 2 in back, then you have a ROADSTER, 2 wheels in front , 1 in back.. Reverse trike? I did have a person asking who is riding the "tri-pod looking thingy", that is my favorite reference to the Spyder as of now..
    A trike with two wheels in front is a reverse trike also called a tadpole trike.
    The Spyder is a reverse trike. The "roadster" name was given it by BRP.

Some interesting reading here:
    http://www.reversetrike.com/
    Last edited by ofdave; 01-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Showing at CES this week. Not a competitor to the Spyder but will be to the Slingshot for those who want something more classy. The Vanderhall all electric Edison2 was brought out last November. More info here: https://electrek.co/2018/01/08/all-e...three-wheeler/ and https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf
    Vanderhalls are front wheel drive.

Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-08-2018 at 10:28 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Showing at CES this week. Not a competitor to the Spyder but will be to the Slingshot for those who want something more classy. The Vanderhall all electric Edison2 was brought out last November. More info here: https://electrek.co/2018/01/08/all-e...three-wheeler/ and https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf
    Vanderhalls are front wheel drive.

They sure look better than a Slingshot.
    The gas engine ones have been out for a while. And at 30 to 50 thou., they aren't cheap.
    Would be interesting to see what the front wheel drive is like.
    The top of the line has AC. In an open cockpit, I wonder how that works?
    A limited dealer network (27) for now. But that will likely change if they catch on.
    https://vanderhallusa.com/
    Last edited by ofdave; 01-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBears View Post
    Have any of you seen the Sturgis reverse trike kit thats being installed on the Honda Goldwings? It's amazing how much they look like the Can Am Spyder!
    The Sturgis website is not in English, but check out Gene's Gallery in Springfield,MO. to see pics and get info. It might be fun to visit Gene's while down at SpyderFest in May.
    We're interested to see them and may trade the Spyder for one eventually, primarily because of Honda's track record for reliability which I'm not sure Can Am can beat.
    We love our 2015 RT Limited, but have been discouraged this past riding season with our oil leak issues (which are hopefully fixed now, but will have to wait for Spring to be sure)

Check 'em out and let me know what y'all think!
    when I was a vendor at last years Honda wing ding genes gallery was there with there trikes very nice looks similar to the spyder only downfall no storage you will definetly need a trailer for the wing its my understanding you still need to purchase a wing then take it in for the mod which by the way wasn't cheap so your looking at around 40k.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Still these models are like the threewheeled scooters. They have a very narrow stance with a massive amount of suspension parts up front.. I personally don't want a three wheel leaner. I would go back to two wheels you loose all the benefits ...
    I dont understand your comment Chupaca, you lost all the benefits of two wheeling when you bought a planar suspension Spyder, anything else containing leaning that is effective is a move towards two wheeling??

Spyder Garage

While there might be a segment that would want a leaning 3 wheeler, count me out. The point of lean is finite, I mean that past some point the geometry will lock up and not go past that lean angle. Exceed that and bad things will happen. If I want a leaning bike, it's a two wheeler that I can drag a knee. The Spyder is for more sedate riding, and I've got both sides covered, with neither being a compromise.
    You drag your hand like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTa6XLTLKY#

Also check out Pikes Peak run, do you ride your two wheels more agressively? Cant suggest you would on roads.
    Things will only improve from there.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

While there might be a segment that would want a leaning 3 wheeler, count me out. The point of lean is finite, I mean that past some point the geometry will lock up and not go past that lean angle. Exceed that and bad things will happen. If I want a leaning bike, it's a two wheeler that I can drag a knee. The Spyder is for more sedate riding, and I've got both sides covered, with neither being a compromise.
    The Tilting Motor Works reverse trike conversion allows a Goldwing to lean as far as it does without the conversion.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default This made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    And the Spyder isn't? My oldest daughter called it a dorky old man batmobile.
    I read this and just laughed out loud!! I guess that I fit the first part of that description! But, I didn't know that my Spyder was as cool as the Batmobile...

Orange trim batmobile.jpg

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    I read this and just laughed out loud!! I guess that I fit the first part of that description! But, I didn't know that my Spyder was as cool as the Batmobile...

Orange trim batmobile.jpg
    Sorry, she was just saying old men would find it cool, which I do.

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse Trikes

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Saw this article at Spyder Life Magazine. http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...nster/1002602/

Looks like Yamaha will now have 3 reverse trike type models soon. I have to think Honda will be close behind since they have been showing concept bikes the last few years.

What I find interesting.....Both Honda and Yamaha are showing, and in Yamaha's case building, 3 wheeled, reverse trike designs that lean. How long and how many people have been on this forum asking for BRP to have a leaning Spyder? I'm not sure why BRP has such a reluctance to building leaning and performance minded Spyders but this may finally force them to do so.
    I think it would both interesting, and fun, to see Honda come out with a reverse trike to equal the Gold Wing. Some riders will always prefer the two wheel motorcycle and its cornering abilities, and some would probably like to see a "from the ground up" GW reverse trike.

Spyder Garage

Just saw the Vanderhall Venice at the International
    Marketplace on Waikiki and it Looks sharp. Anyone tried out one of these?
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Conceptually, it's cool, but the style on this Yamaha thing is just so damned ugly I have no interest in it. If I wanted a leaning 3-wheeler, there is a kit for Harleys or there's the Piaggio. Neither is beautiful like a Spyder but at least they don't make you gag to look at them.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderglide View Post
    That whole front end is hideous. Don't know what they were thinking, can't see anyone falling in love with that thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    That whole front end is hideous. Don't know what they were thinking, can't see anyone falling in love with that thing.

That's what everyone said about the Spyder F3 when it first came out!
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like a Piaggio

Looks like a Piaggio on steroids.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    That's what everyone said about the Spyder F3 when it first came out!
    I've loved the Spyder since I saw one driving down the road and had no idea what it was. That. . . thing, though, it looks cobbled together from street bike and scooter parts that were fed steroids.

Spyder Garage

Default The 3 wheeled cycle market just got more interesting

Have you seen the new Vanderhall 3 wheeler? Front wheel drive, turbo 4 cylinder @ 179 HP and a automatic.
    Built in Utah and nice looking and one heck of a dash panel. +/- $30.000.00 and I want one.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Having a bike that leans is nice. But if I want to lean I'll go back to a 2 wheeler so I can race the crouch rockets thru the twisties on the Tail Of The Dragon Ride Safe.Ride Often My Friends love my

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    Have you seen the new Vanderhall 3 wheeler? Front wheel drive, turbo 4 cylinder @ 179 HP and a automatic.
    Built in Utah and nice looking and one heck of a dash panel. +/- $30.000.00 and I want on

Dray
    I just saw a Vanderhall Venice at the International Marketplace on Waikiki and sat it in. It was beautiful. Would love to take one for a ride but it sits too close to the ground for me to get in and out of on a daily basis. About the same price as a RT LIMITED. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO