Spyder Garage

Default GPS CONNECTION POINT?

I am thinking of purchasing a GPS for my F3-S. I currently use Google Maps on my mobile phone but it uses data. On long trips I usually go over my data allowance. I can get power to the GPS by connecting directly to my battery but pulling the instrument panel and top pieces is a pain. There is a connection on the left side of my Spyder that I saw in the owners manual and Lamont mentioned in a video for his turn signal and fender marker lights that there is a plug and play connecter on the the right side of the F3. I believe the F3T has the plug and play connector on the left side. Can anyone that has added an aftermarket GPS tell me how you connected it to power? Thanks!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

John;
    i connected my to my Cross-Bar that has the 12V adapter mounted on it.... easy peasy....
    as you can see by the pic... i have a Cross-Bar connected to my windshield mounts, and i've installed my garage door openner and radar detector as well as the 12V adapter... my GPS is off to the side, and not seen on this pic, but it's plugged into the 12V adapter....

i'll install 1 for you if you'd like... FREE...

20160520_150538.jpg
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Can anyone that has added an aftermarket GPS tell me how you connected it to power? Thanks!!
    The F3/F3S GPS power connector is under the seat on the RIGHT side. I used that for my Garmin NUVI. .....
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...39#post1254139
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Yes I am aware of the connector on the right side of my F3 under the seat. I used this connector to plug in the Lamonster Garage fender lights. But having done that, is there an adaptor or splicer to also plug in the GPS at that location?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

I bought a single lighter plug pulled the frunk liner out pulled the wire through and attached it under the small panel. Then pulled the garmin wire under the top fuel panel and under the top cover side panel. If you buy the Garmin you will get all the mounts with it. I removed the handle bar plate which is hollow underneath drilled a hole and mounted to the swivel head. I got the 6 inch screen, easy to remove and you can push the wire back down to the plug when not in use, make sure it's got an inline fuse takes about 40 minutes. I used a wire puller to fish the wire through the front. Clean look
    I have a 17 F-3 T limited
    Last edited by sylvester; 01-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Possible alternative

You may already know but just in case, I had the same concerns about my phone based gps using data. The Tom Tom go app does not use data, but rather it downloads the maps to your device. Have been using it for 2 years and am 100% satisfied with it. I think I paid $45 for a three year subscription that gives me live traffic and a couple other things. I just upgraded to the iPhone 8 Plus so now I’m waterproof and have a real nice size screen.
    Good luck with your options.....

I am thinking of purchasing a GPS for my F3-S. I currently use Google Maps on my mobile phone but it uses data. On long trips I usually go over my data allowance. I can get power to the GPS by connecting directly to my battery but pulling the instrument panel and top pieces is a pain. There is a connection on the left side of my Spyder that I saw in the owners manual and Lamont mentioned in a video for his turn signal and fender marker lights that there is a plug and play connecter on the the right side of the F3. I believe the F3T has the plug and play connector on the left side. Can anyone that has added an aftermarket GPS tell me how you connected it to power? Thanks!!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Yes there is a insulated pigtail with wires for the GPS under the left side panel

Yes I am aware of the connector on the right side of my F3 under the seat. I used this connector to plug in the Lamonster Garage fender lights. But having done that, is there an adaptor or splicer to also plug in the GPS at that location?
    We bought a used Garmin 660 and added it to the left side of the handlebar with the u-bolt mount and then the factory garmin power wire went along the bar under the panels and down the left side to that pigtail that was tucked along the harness waiting for the GPS. Also ran the 1.5 mm plug to the female receptacle just below the fuel tank so that the garmin would speak through the Spyder speakers for directions. Sorry that the pics are not clearer...DSCN2411.jpgDSCN2410.jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I just watched Lamont's install video on the fender lights and it looks like they were providing a 'Y' harness to connect them. The GPS connector was effectively provided??? I make my own cables and adapters using those SuperSeal (TYCO) connectors, but you could also use those 'LeverLock' style connectors they use in all their wiring.
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The F3-T has the two pin connector for the GPS on the LEFT/shifter side (when talking about bike sides, they are as you sit on the bike). One can use these connectors from eBay to build splitters. I currently have 4 things plugged into the GPS connector. Fog light halos, fender lights, rear & front knight riderz & >GARMIN<. Cool thing about the GPS connector is that it's live earlier and longer than the ACC outlets.

>CLICK ME<

Last edited by Rattlebars; 01-05-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default F3

I've got a base F3 and I used Lamonster's kit and power plate wired into a 12VDC buss I ran to the battery. It's hot all the time so I can also use it for a battery tender. I located the connection under the "safety label" access plate for ease of access. I have the direct battery power, switched power from the customer accessory lead and a ground buss all in the same place. That makes subsequent wiring and trouble shooting easy. I then ran the lead up the base of the handle bars to the power plate. A couple of black zip ties and it looks factory.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 01-06-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Very Knight rider

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    The F3-T has the two pin connector for the GPS on the LEFT/shifter side (when talking about bike sides, they are as you sit on the bike). One can use these connectors from eBay to build splitters. I currently have 4 things plugged into the GPS connector. Fog light halos, fender lights, rear & front knight riderz & >GARMIN<. Cool thing about the GPS connector is that it's live earlier and longer than the ACC outlets.

>CLICK ME<

The red bar light reminds me of the "KITT" car from the Knightrider TV series. The rest of it is overwhelming.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    The red bar light reminds me of the "KITT" car from the Knightrider TV series. The rest of it is overwhelming.
    >Knight Riderz Bar<
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default GPS CONNECTION POINT

Thanks for all the responses. I finally decided to buy a Garmin auto GPS with lifetime maps. I know it doesn't have all the neat features of a dedicated motorcycle GPS but I saved hundreds of dollars on the purchase and I can always put a sandwich bag over it when it rains. I have ordered a RAM mount with X grip to mount on the rail next to the instrument panel. I will get power from a USB port that I have mounted between my instrument panel and windshield.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

I ordered a refurbished Garmin Zumo 590LM from the Garmin site last night for 524.95. I think the sale ends today. Lamonster sells the mount kit for 124.oo
    https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/det...gitemid=365095
    Last edited by AY4B; 01-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This how I hooked up my GPS on my F3. The problem with anything you use is that in bright sunlight you cant see the screen anyway.