Thread: Antifreeze Leak

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Antifreeze Leak

I have a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT. I just notice a little wet spot under it and found it was just a little antifreeze. Such a small amount it was hard to tell what it was. No where under the frame I could see where it was on or dripped off. I wiped it up clean and notice in about two days there was just a little water or antifreeze again. I removed the plastic under the right side wheel. Got a light up under and found the hose coming from the water pump was wet like it was seeping a little moisture. It has an oetiker hose clamp which cannot be tied. The diameter of the hose looks like it is 1-3/8 inch. I will get a new hose clamp and replace the oetiker with a regular hose clamp that can be tied. Has anyone else ever have theses clamps leak? I was afraid it might have been the water pump but every place was dry except around the hose connection. When I jacked it up where I could get under it I could see if it leaked directly from that hose it would not drip on the frame it would drip directly to the floor so I am pretty sure that is all it is. I never did like the oetiker hose clamps.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT. I just notice a little wet spot under it and found it was just a little antifreeze. Such a small amount it was hard to tell what it was. No where under the frame I could see where it was on or dripped off. I wiped it up clean and notice in about two days there was just a little water or antifreeze again. I removed the plastic under the right side wheel. Got a light up under and found the hose coming from the water pump was wet like it was seeping a little moisture. It has an oetiker hose clamp which cannot be tied. The diameter of the hose looks like it is 1-3/8 inch. I will get a new hose clamp and replace the oetiker with a regular hose clamp that can be tied. Has anyone else ever have theses clamps leak? I was afraid it might have been the water pump but every place was dry except around the hose connection. When I jacked it up where I could get under it I could see if it leaked directly from that hose it would not drip on the frame it would drip directly to the floor so I am pretty sure that is all it is. I never did like the oetiker hose clamps.
    Yes, my ST-S started that leaking thing shortly after I got it. The dealer swears that they pressure tested the system twice and could find no problems, but it kept leaking a small amount after being parked. I took off the bottom right and side panels and discovered that when I grabbed ahold of the hose attached to the bottom of the radiator with an oetiker clamp and wiggled it, fluid drops would appear. I replaced that thing with a standard screw clamp - that stopped it. Hate those oetikers.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Yes, my ST-S started that leaking thing shortly after I got it. The dealer swears that they pressure tested the system twice and could find no problems, but it kept leaking a small amount after being parked. I took off the bottom right and side panels and discovered that when I grabbed ahold of the hose attached to the bottom of the radiator with an oetiker clamp and wiggled it, fluid drops would appear. I replaced that thing with a standard screw clamp - that stopped it. Hate those oetikers.
    I also do not like the clamps. Do you remember what size clamp you purchased? Is it hard to get the oetiker clamp off? I will replace any of the oetiker camps that I can get to. The one that is leaking on mind is coming off the water pump but I will replace the ones on the radiator also.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Hi gerald,

Re: I never did like the oetiker hose clamps.

Oetiker clamps are great clamps in the right places & when installed properly.

They are beginning to be used in the parachute manufacturing world now. I use about 4 different sizes & styles of them.

They are also being used extensively in the household plumbing industry; for the incoming water.

It's all about the right tool for the right job. IMO a motorcycle with its constant vibrating is not the right place.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) From another Gerald; although I really do despise the name.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Must be the same one that was the only adjustable clamp on the earlier spyder and they did not tighten it.. many earlier models started leaking only to find they could tighten that clamp and they were good....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MY 2015 F3S would drop a little antifreeze when it would get really cold out then warm up in a short period of time. Antifreeze never checked low. Did not worry about it.

Spyder Garage

I also do not like the clamps. Do you remember what size clamp you purchased? Is it hard to get the oetiker clamp off? I will replace any of the oetiker camps that I can get to. The one that is leaking on mind is coming off the water pump but I will replace the ones on the radiator also.
    Don't recall the exact size right off, but I bought a few sizes in the range of what I needed. 1-1/2 inch comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

I was able to take a small flat bladed screw driver and stuck it inside the crimp. Gave a twist and opened up the crimp some, then, a pair of needle nose pliers opened it the rest of the way. By then the hose was easy to pull it off by hand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi gerald,

Re: I never did like the oetiker hose clamps.

Oetiker clamps are great clamps in the right places & when installed properly.

They are beginning to be used in the parachute manufacturing world now. I use about 4 different sizes & styles of them.

They are also being used extensively in the household plumbing industry; for the incoming water.

It's all about the right tool for the right job. IMO a motorcycle with its constant vibrating is not the right place.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) From another Gerald; although I really do despise the name.
    I don't care for the name either, I go by Jerry.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    MY 2015 F3S would drop a little antifreeze when it would get really cold out then warm up in a short period of time. Antifreeze never checked low. Did not worry about it.
    That's the way mind does. I never noticed it when it was warner but I will replace the clamp. My antifreeze has never went down to add any.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our 2014 RT had a clamp start leaking.

Spyder Garage

Default Anti-freeze leal

My 2015 F3-S had a leak in the same spot. It was the water pump. Replaced under warranty.

Bert
    2015 F3-S
    2015 F3S , Black/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the hose clamp cleaned every place real good and started it up let it run for about an hour so it was completely warmed up. It is a round Zero so I backed it out of the garage and let it run. Everything look good. I run in back in the garage and put a clean sheet of cardboard under the engine. I will leave the cardboard under it and check it the next few days. I think it was just the clamp. I have no warranty and no dealers any where close I would trust so I do all my own work.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Here's what I found after discovering the small puddle under the bike. The second picture is turned sideways but shows the orange coolant coming from the bottom of the radiator/hose connection. And the dealer said they pressure tested everything and find nothing wrong.

IMG_0121.jpgIMG_0124.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Here's what I found after discovering the small puddle under the bike. The second picture is turned sideways but shows the orange coolant coming from the bottom of the radiator/hose connection. And the dealer said they pressure tested everything and find nothing wrong.

IMG_0121.jpgIMG_0124.jpg
    I think these oetiker clamps just seek a little if they are not clamped properly or tie. When the coolant warms up and maybe a little pressure they don't leak. Mind did not seem to leak when driving it just when it set and cooled off. After changing the clamp and it set all night mind is dry. Before I would wipe the floor clean under the engine and the next morning I would have just a little antifreeze on the floor.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oetiker Clamps

Did you replace the old oetiker with a new oetiker? Did you replace with a auto screw type? Just wondering about the fix.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Did you replace the old oetiker with a new oetiker? Did you replace with a auto screw type? Just wondering about the fix.
    I replaced it with an auto screw type. When ever I have the plastic off and I can see or get to a oetiker clamp I will replace it. I do not like oetiker clamps.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20150823_190341.jpg20150823_183613-1.jpg20150823_183530.jpg

My 2015 F3S also had to have the water pump replaced, the attached photos represent what the leak looked like that indicated I needed a new water pump. However, the small dropping of antifreeze after a server cold spell was entirely different and this occurred after I had the water pump replace. My thoughts is that the small puddle (usually 1/2 dollar in size) was due to over fill that reacted to temp changes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    20150823_190341.jpg20150823_183613-1.jpg20150823_183530.jpg

My 2015 F3S also had to have the water pump replaced, the attached photos represent what the leak looked like that indicated I needed a new water pump. However, the small dropping of antifreeze after a server cold spell was entirely different and this occurred after I had the water pump replace. My thoughts is that the small puddle (usually 1/2 dollar in size) was due to over fill that reacted to temp changes.
    If they used the oetiker clamps and did not get them clamped tie or properly it could be like mine and seek a little antifreeze went cold but when heated up or a little pressure it stops the seeking. This is just my guess. I know mind has completely stop any seeking or leaking. I was real careful replacing the clamp with a screw type clamp. I really cleaned and used air to clean around the water pump so to be sure it was not coming from the water pump.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

While performing a routine service on my 2014 RT I noticed a small drip of coolant. Of course, there's no other way to figure it all out except to remove the body panels and the frunk.

Once that was done it was easy to diagnose. There's a plastic U/T shaped connector (part #709200468) that sits at the bottom of the assembly connecting the mess together. The hose and connects on the back side (running straight back from the connector toward the back of the bike) had slipped and the hose had moved close to 1/2". The Oetiker clamp was still in place and tight. I removed the clamp, reseated the hose and put a standard screw clamp onto it. Further inspection also showed several other hoses had shifted and several showed signs of starting to fail (dried coolant residue on the joint). In all I replaced 4 of the Oetiker clamps (all of them related to the aforementioned assembly) and would have liked to have replaced all of them, but didn't because of several different factors. (It would have required an almost complete disassembly of the coolant system, including draining and refilling.) The others showed no signs of leaking or impending failure, so I think it's okay, but I will keep a close eye on things.

I spoke to a buddy who is a 30+ year professional motorcycle mechanic and independent shop owner about this situation. He says this is common in the motorcycle world among higher mile bikes. It's his belief that over time the Oetiker clamps don't have enough force to hold against the expansion and contraction of the smooth plastic connector tubes and need to be replaced by standard screw type clamps. He also said that Oetiker clamps seem to hold up fine when used in conjunction with metal, like on radiators. (Rougher surface?)

So, anyway, if you notice a coolant drip and suspect an Oetiker clamp, plan on replacing a bunch of them, if not all of them.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    While performing a routine service on my 2014 RT I noticed a small drip of coolant. Of course, there's no other way to figure it all out except to remove the body panels and the frunk.

Once that was done it was easy to diagnose. There's a plastic U/T shaped connector (part #709200468) that sits at the bottom of the assembly connecting the mess together. The hose and connects on the back side (running straight back from the connector toward the back of the bike) had slipped and the hose had moved close to 1/2". The Oetiker clamp was still in place and tight. I removed the clamp, reseated the hose and put a standard screw clamp onto it. Further inspection also showed several other hoses had shifted and several showed signs of starting to fail (dried coolant residue on the joint). In all I replaced 4 of the Oetiker clamps (all of them related to the aforementioned assembly) and would have liked to have replaced all of them, but didn't because of several different factors. (It would have required an almost complete disassembly of the coolant system, including draining and refilling.) The others showed no signs of leaking or impending failure, so I think it's okay, but I will keep a close eye on things.

I spoke to a buddy who is a 30+ year professional motorcycle mechanic and independent shop owner about this situation. He says this is common in the motorcycle world among higher mile bikes. It's his belief that over time the Oetiker clamps don't have enough force to hold against the expansion and contraction of the smooth plastic connector tubes and need to be replaced by standard screw type clamps. He also said that Oetiker clamps seem to hold up fine when used in conjunction with metal, like on radiators. (Rougher surface?)

So, anyway, if you notice a coolant drip and suspect an Oetiker clamp, plan on replacing a bunch of them, if not all of them.
    Next time I service my RT I am going to replace everyone I can get too. I just do not like Oetiker clamps. I will have the plastic off the right side when I change oil and off the left side when changing the air filter.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I had a very similar experience with my 2014RTL about a year ago. As it was still under warranty I took it to a local Spyder dealer and they fixed the clamp problem.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default leak

yes i have also noticed a very small amount on the garage floor the last few weeks 2016 20,000 mi
    2018 F3s , Gold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I had a very similar experience with my 2014RTL about a year ago. As it was still under warranty I took it to a local Spyder dealer and they fixed the clamp problem.
    BIG F
    I just don't care for them type clamps. I am going to replace everyone on my Spyder. Next time I have the plastic off I will change any that I can get to.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I also had a leak on a 2010 RT. As it turns out, I think it was leaking from a hose going into the water pump that had a replacement screw clamp on it that was not tight. I tightened that clamp up and will keep an eye on it to see if any other leaks develop. But it was during a cold snap and I think that had something to do with it too.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Few drops under the vent hose

I have just recently started seeing a few drops that appear to be directly under the bottom of the clear vinyl vent line. I find no leaking clamps and my antifreeze container is not even at the cold mark when cold. I don't know if there is something I'm missing or why this is just now starting to show up. Given all of the other comments I'm going to look very carefully at the clamps I can see. Welcome any of your thoughts.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.