Spyder Garage

Default Getting to F3 Spyder Battery

I am curious as to how to get to the F3 battery. I looked at the owners manual and it looks like you have to lift out the frunk box, but it is not really clear about how to do it. I see that there are several (four, I think) fasteners that I presume hold it in place. Just how do I go about removing them; I have not seen fasteners like this before and I don't want to break something. Someone I follow on YouTube said just use a screwdriver or diagonal cutters to pull them out, but I thought I would run this by the in-house experts here. Thanks, folks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Colour...
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can use a screwdriver. There are 4 fasteners, just pull the center out and then pull the outside part out of the hole. They may come out in one piece. You will also need to remove the black panel below the headlights to lift the frunk bucket out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

How to get to the F3's battery:

1. pop the hood.
    2. remove the bat-looking plastic cover that has a computer sign on it by pulling straight up on two lower corners
    3. use flat-head screwdriver to pop the center pins of the black plastic rivets
    4. pull out the base of the plastic rivets
    5. lift out the tub

To replace - reverse the procedure. The only problem you'll face is that bat-looking plastic cover with the computer sign on it. Yea, you'll need to apply some rubber-safe oil or a silicone grease to the rubber grommets on each side and on the matching plastic rivets on the cover. Holding the cover in place by the center with one hand apply pressure with another hand on each side pushing down and forward.

Good luck installing that plastic cover back
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speedsterjohnny,

The fasteners you are referring to are called push pins, and I got this tool from Harbor Freight (Sears sells them too), and it works great for removing them. You can use a screwdriver to if you want, but this tool makes it so much easier for me.

Push Pin Pliers
    Item #67400
    Only: $9.99
    Compare to $19.99, Craftsman Craftsman
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I need to buy a set of those. The push pins are just too easy to lose using a screwdriver.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Moved Post title... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I looked at the Harbor Freight push pin pliers and they all stunk. The jaws did not meet squarely and, amongst all the pairs on the rack there was no consistency in the quality of the jaws. I paid a bit more but got a good pair from Lisle.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

R.e. Harbor freight pliers: yes, I bought a pair and then true up the surfaces with a file and India Stone. You have to Be careful with any plier or you can damage the pins. Watched a tech mangle some using his Mac Tool plier.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I use this tool for removing the auto push clips that are on the Spyder
    Place toll under the top of the center pin don't remove the center pin completely that way you want loose it, then place tool under the main larger body piece.

Removal tool.jpg Push pin Removal tool.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

I use the Harbor Freight one and I think it works great. I bought one for both my sons and a friend, they all like them.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Place toll under the top of the center pin don't remove the center pin completely that way you want loose it, then place tool under the main larger body piece.

And where did you get that tool?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Here's what they look like:
    Spyder Fasteners.jpg
    Rob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:58 PM.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Try amazon or ebay, we can buy them from most Auto & Tool supply shops here in NZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post

While looking for something not related, I came upon this, and now all I need to do is find what I was looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...gAAOSwFb5aAizG
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    1. pop the hood.
    2. remove the bat-looking plastic cover that has a computer sign on it by pulling straight up on two lower corners
    3. use flat-head screwdriver to pop the center pins of the black plastic rivets
    4. pull out the base of the plastic rivets
    5. lift out the tub

To replace - reverse the procedure. The only problem you'll face is that bat-looking plastic cover with the computer sign on it. Yea, you'll need to apply some rubber-safe oil or a silicone grease to the rubber grommets on each side and on the matching plastic rivets on the cover. Holding the cover in place by the center with one hand apply pressure with another hand on each side pushing down and forward.

Good luck installing that plastic cover back
    The bat-looking plastic cover removed easily with a gentle prod using a large flat blade screwdriver.... popped right off. I sprung for a push pin pliers at NAPA which was delivered same day from their distribution center. Advance Auto, Auto Zone and Home Depot all had to order, Home Depot referring me to the online source with no offer to order for me. The push pins came out easily and out came the tub. I did use a rubber safe lubricant, but had no problem putting it back on. The push pins were a little stubborn, but I managed to get them back in too.

The reason for this procedure was the installation of a power plate from Lamonster Garage. My only question, and I raised it with their tech by phone, was why it was mounted on the left (clutch lever) side when there seemed to be so much more room on the right. Oh well, it's on, it works and I'm happy. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Hoss

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 08:00 PM.
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.