Thread: air box removal

Spyder Garage

Default air box removal

Ive been searching around, but haven't had success...Anyone know of an air cleaner for our 1330s that eliminates the air box?

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know 🤔

You might check with JT's Machine shop a sponsor vendor here and makes the air system for the V-Twin. Maybe he is working on one for the Triple....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AIR BOX REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Ive been searching around, but haven't had success...Anyone know of an air cleaner for our 1330s that eliminates the air box?
    The air box on an F-3 ( which is what I think you have ) isn't EXACTLY the same as the RT ( which I have )...... I pretty sure No one has come with a different shaped part ...... But consider this - the air that comes into the box that houses the Air filter ( itself ) only matters as to the amount of Air ( cu. inches ) that CAN enter that box ..... the OEM air filter allows a certain amount of Air ( ie flow )...the shape of the box is immaterial to this ..... So increasing the Available amount of Air that enters is what you want to do ...... JT's fix for the V-twin was to dramatically increase the amount of Air that could pass thru ( His ) filter ..... Nothing is available for the 1330 that I've seen ..... What I did on my 14 RT was to get rid of the plastic Air Intake Tube ...... I replaced it with a 3in. piece of thin wall pipe that goes thru the plastic OEM Panel on the left .... This is drastic and I don't think you could do this with an F-3 ( at least the fiche's I've looked at show major differences in the Tube routing also the shape is different ) ...... The Fiche' I looked at doesn't show the entire Intake system ...it shows the airbox w/filter...the Intake Tube ...and an air intake ADAPTER ...... what that Adapter is connected to I can't find ...If that piece only allows a small amount of Air thru it ..then removing it would increase the amount of Air it could FLOW ..... The other thing you want to consider is getting the K&N replacement filter ( I have one ) they claim it flows more Air ........ Once the Flow of air is increased the Filer is what will determine how much actually reaches the Throttle bodies ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Does the air box removed on 2012 rts help that much or is it to much noise.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default V-TWIN AIR BOX REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    , I don't have one, but most of the posts I've read about it on Spyderlovers said it was definitely noticeable with a decibel increase....... hopefully an owner will chime in for you ....... Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
    I think there are two advantages. One is that it opens up the engine compartment so that future maintenance is a breeze compared to what it is now. And it allows increased air flow under the body to cool off those engine components towards the front of the motor, like the throttle body actuator, anything rubber, etc. If you have not installed the 2013 RT scoops on your 2012, then you will notice yourself being a lot cooler, also. If you have, then it will still provide improved cooling to that forward engine area.

It will be louder, but most folks don't mind. We ride with ear plugs so it is a non issue. And based on the butt-dyno, there might be a little improvement in performance. But the big advantages to us are cooling and maintenance.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Make of these what you will.

intak.jpgxplodedfilter.jpgfilterplace.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Looking at the schematic, It doesn't look too restrictive.... Just big and in the way. I did install a K&N filter and enquired about JT making one and waiting on a response.... Ill let ya know!