Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    And yet with all of these innovations, we aren't making any difference! (According to all the climate change people) I read several articles that say one of the volcano's erupting, releases more CO2 than all of mankind has since mankind existed.
    Can't we just plug it up? "Put a sock in it ..."
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was just listening to a piece on NPR in the car. They were discussing how the mid-western barley crops have been suffering due to warmer / wetter summers. Barley used to be an eastern crop, and has been migrating west as farmers could not get good yields and switched to other crops. Now it's predominantly grown in the mid-west and closer to the mountain states. Long story short, if this weather trend of warmer summers continues, the beer you and I drink might get more expensive as malt barley becomes harder to grow.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    the beer you and I drink might get more expensive

you take that back right now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Was just listening to a piece on NPR in the car. They were discussing how the mid-western barley crops have been suffering due to warmer / wetter summers. Barley used to be an eastern crop, and has been migrating west as farmers could not get good yields and switched to other crops. Now it's predominantly grown in the mid-west and closer to the mountain states. Long story short, if this weather trend of warmer summers continues, the beer you and I drink might get more expensive as malt barley becomes harder to grow.
    Now that's news. We are on to something here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default i love a good debate

I'm sure by now everyone that's read my ramblings know which side of the fence i'm on. Here in Minnesota we have established a 150 foot buffer zone between a body of water be it river or lake to help prevent run off from farm chemicals into our water systems personally I wish it was more but have accepted it because to ask farmer to accept more might be a little to much, we have to have a happy medium. To use alternative power sources can improve air quality reduce dependence on fossil fuels [not replace them completely] these new technologies also have there draw backs also, but they also create jobs in the construction and maintenance fields. Is any thing perfect NO but are some systems better cleaner and reduce emissions from fossil fuels. You may say that we us coal to manufacture these systems but the emissions are reduced when a wind farm or solar array go on line and I believe every little bit helps. The good old USA should be leading the way not letting Europe and China get ahead with us playing catch up. When we reduce funding for education and research we hobble our capacity for innovation and leadership. come on USA.

Spyder Garage

Default a little more

the planet on which we live should not be a political football we all have to live on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

News flash, the Chinese are already ahead of us in investing in clean technology. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ris-agreement/
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Default you are right

yeah I think I knew that but wasn't sure, thanks for the heads up. So we are already playing catch up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    yeah I think I knew that but wasn't sure, thanks for the heads up. So we are already playing catch up.
    A relative was in China this year, and a local national questioned why Americans think climate isn't a priority. He (the chinese) said that they are doing something about it because they can see it and breathe it daily. I guess we gai-jan will wait till we have smog like LA did back in the 60's.
    JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Something new to mull over. In the tax cut bill congress wiped out the 9 cent a barrel tax for the oil spill clean up fund, saying it was burdensome on the industry. should we see a price drop at the pump?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    WOW. It seems that the name of our last President is being censored out of posts.

I'm floored. Let's try Trump.

Edit: Nope. Trump is OK.......but O b a m a is not ????
    You got it. Several years ago, from what I understand, there were some super heated discussions that prompted Lamont to censor O's name. Or maybe it was his personal dislike for the guy, I don't know. But anyway the name of President O has been censored for several years. I guess it was put into the same category as the four letter vulgar word for a bodily function.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Something new to mull over. In the tax cut bill congress wiped out the 9 cent a barrel tax for the oil spill clean up fund, saying it was burdensome on the industry. should we see a price drop at the pump?

Your dreaming again. What goes up must come down--except prices at the pump!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default normal politics

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mitch McConnell, upon President O's election, publicly stated that the #1 goal of the GOP Senators, of which he was minority leader, was to make sure O*a*a was a one-term President, by denying him any legislative achievements. Obstruction, obfuscation and misleading propaganda was the game plan for 8 years and it worked somewhat.
    That's normal for either party when they are out of power. The Democrats are doing far more and worse things now that they are out of power. At least Mc Connel was honest about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gooollllllllleeeeeeeeeeeee! 9 cents a BARREL would be how many HUNDREDTHS of a cent per GALLON?

(And don't forget that the crude oil in gasoline is way less than 100% of its total cost. [Not pump price. Cost.])
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I have problems with people saying climate change is natural. I think everybody agrees with that.

My main point, and one other point.
    1. The immediate problem is how fast and how much the climate is changing. Can we adapt to this rapid change?
    2. Coal and oil deposits formed when CO2 levels were much higher and vegetation was much lusher. That removed CO2 from the air. If we put all of that CO2 back into the atmosphere, we will have a climate similar to back then.
    "Similar to back then"? The earth's distance from the sun and the tilt of it's axis determine the season and weather. The earth is NOT on tracks in space like a railroad train. The earth's orbit changes a bit each year. Our weather patterns change with it.

Spyder Garage

Default The point

What I was getting at is next time there is an Exon Valdez or Deep Water Horizon oil spill. Instead of the people who spilled the oil we the tax payer will pay to clean it up. The small tax we don't even notice and won't affect prices at the pump will put more money in the pocket of big oil. This is the point, I haven't heard of any oil company filing for bankruptcy because of the burdensome clean up tax that all oil companies pay.

Spyder Garage

Who do you think pays now, tax or no tax? We, the consumer. That's who.

When will the general public finally realize that absolutely NO corporation pays ANY TAX AT ALL? ALL costs of doing business are passed on to the consumer all the time. And with a percentage added for handling costs.

Lord have mercy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post

When will the general public finally realize that absolutely NO corporation pays ANY TAX AT ALL? ALL costs of doing business are passed on to the consumer all the time. And with a percentage added for handling costs.

Lord have mercy.
    Not to mention that the largest corporations for years have employed squadrons of lawyers and accountants to exploit loopholes to pay little to no tax at all. Why not just close the loopholes and demand repatriation of the trillions of dollars kept offshore untaxed?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    And yet with all of these innovations, we aren't making any difference! (According to all the climate change people) I read several articles that say one of the volcano's erupting, releases more CO2 than all of mankind has since mankind existed.
    NASA says the statement about volcanoes is not true. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fe...ming/page4.php

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post

Lord have mercy.
    Corporations do pay tax, the only question is to whom those costs are passed. When you say, "ALL costs of doing business are passed on to the consumer all the time," that's not necessarily true. You are disregarding the laws of supply and demand. Yes, if you have a product in high demand, you can get by with raising your prices and indeed, consumers will bear the cost. However, if too many costs get passed on, demand is reduced as consumers rebel. At some point consumers may simply choose to do without the corporation's product or else find an alternative. At that point, the corporation cannot pass the taxes on to consumers and therefore the taxes will actually be passed on to the corporation's shareholders in the form of reduced profits and dividends. If all costs of doing business could always be passed on to consumers, nobody would ever go out of business.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm going to ask Raquel Welch for a date.
    I might have a chance since Hell finally froze over.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Here we have a minuscule tax set up and dedicated to a clean up fund that is to be used when the next spill or other oil related mess happens. Now we will be waiting for congress to approve funds for cleanup, like I said we the people had no Idea there was any tax paid for clean up, sure we are paying for it every time we fill our gas tanks but removing the tax takes away the insurance that the money will be there to clean up another catastrophic spill,the point is you won't notice it because every entity that uses a petroleum product form the largest corporation to the kid running his moped around the block paid for it nobody noticed. The only people that will notice will be the oil companies, they will get a few million dollars to raise executive pay or pay dividends, we as the gas buying public won't see any change at the pump or any benefit. Just seems like throwing a giant steak to a fat cat, he likes but really doesn't need it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    I find it awful funny that there are people believing in global warming (and complaining we are going to melt) on a website dedicated to a CO2 producing vehicle (Spyder) in which is usually riden for enjoyment A pedal tricycle might be better for the believers (Complainers) so they can be doing their part in stopping global warming
    I don't think it's humorous, ironic or hypocritical to express concern that we, as a country, are refusing to acknowledge and deal with a very real issue which affects us all, particularly future generations. It's called civic responsibility.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    Then please do your part, and stop producing CO2. I myself will continue to ride and be happy
    I'll do my part and engage in civil and productive discussion of issues that concern me. And, ride and be happy without guilt. And avoid pin-heads as much as possible.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Anything we do now to improve our environment will make things better in the future lets not be selfish.