Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Might it be possible that "catastrophes" such as forest fires and storms could be a good thing except for the statement above? After all, for thousands of years these were natures way of rejuvenating itself. Why do some of us humans think we know better than nature? Why don't we humans learn to live with nature instead of expecting nature to live around our egotistical desires?
    I don't know why we get so all fire worked up about the environment. After all, in the end Mother Nature is going to win anyway! Sometimes I think all we will accomplish is to delay the eventual extinction of mankind by a thousand years or so! Think about it. Dinosaurs went extinct and they were a whole lot more in tune with nature than we are!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Not my problem ?

As just an observer leave it to the people that it is going to really going to effect like our Children and grand children we should just keep doing what we always do and write off all these people that think they are smart because they have a degree from some prestigious college I still have relatively clean air to breath and clean water to drink so what is the problem. I live in a town with a railroad switch yard I watch several large coal trains go through every day but since I don't live next to the power plant why should I worry about co2 or any other emissions, the only problem I have is when there is a light south breeze I have to breath in the diesel fumes from the train engines but why should anyone not affected by this be concerned. What I'm getting at is we have the opportunity to save something for future and possibility prevent even greater sacrifices the next generations why not select that path instead of the one where we keep doing what we always do and trying to do the cleanup after every thing go to hell..

Spyder Garage

Default What do Sharks think about 'Global Warming'?

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    As just an observer leave it to the people that it is going to really going to effect like our Children and grand children we should just keep doing what we always do and write off all these people that think they are smart because they have a degree from some prestigious college I still have relatively clean air to breath and clean water to drink so what is the problem. I live in a town with a railroad switch yard I watch several large coal trains go through every day but since I don't live next to the power plant why should I worry about co2 or any other emissions, the only problem I have is when there is a light south breeze I have to breath in the diesel fumes from the train engines but why should anyone not affected by this be concerned. What I'm getting at is we have the opportunity to save something for future and possibility prevent even greater sacrifices the next generations why not select that path instead of the one where we keep doing what we always do and trying to do the cleanup after every thing go to hell..
    College degrees? Don't mean squat without some common sense.

I KNOW!!!
    Let's all turn off our electric lights and our electrically controlled heat or our electric heat. Then the power plant won't have to burn soooo much coal!
    Wind turbines? They kill birds and insects! Can't have that!
    Solar panels? Don't work when the sun doesn't shine. Besides they take too much space for the amount of output.
    Treadmills? Animal rights people wouldn't like that and slavery is illegal and us rich people wouldn't want to run it ourselves. (we go to the gym to run on a treadmill. never could figger that one out)

ps: your sentences were sooo looong I had to reread your post twice to get any sense out of it. (Not picking a fight, just making an observation.)

Sincerely,
    Crotchety Old Man

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

College degrees? Don't mean squat without some common sense.
    P.S. Your "examples" exhibit a total lack of common sense.......college degree or not.

Spyder Garage

Default experience

Might it be possible that a lot of these "catastrophic" events happened 50 years ago, but there wasn't immediate 24 hour news coverage on multiples of news stations? Therefore, it wasn't known worldwide as it is now?

Might it be possible that during the last 50 years more humans decided to actually build expensive houses and live in "catastrophe" prone areas?

Might it be possible that "catastrophes" such as forest fires and storms could be a good thing except for the statement above? After all, for thousands of years these were natures way of rejuvenating itself. Why do some of us humans think we know better than nature? Why don't we humans learn to live with nature instead of expecting nature to live around our egotistical desires?

Just askin'...........
    From my personal experience living in So Cal for over fifty years, people ARE building expensive homes in destruction-prone areas. Especially along the coast. In the sixties beach houses were set back from the water even at high tide. Now they are built out over the water so more people can indulge in "beach living" even if there is no beach. Forest fires are a normal part of the So Cal environment, some species of plants and trees here can't reproduce without fire damage according to a So Cal Ecology class I took way back in college. One of the reasons we have these mega fires is that humans stop the small fires before they can burn off the undergrowth as nature intended. We also build in flood plains or on landfill like San Francisco has done. Most of the Bay Front property in San Francisco and Oakland is fill made up of sand, dirt and oyster shells done in the nineteenth century to expand the cities into the bay.

Spyder Garage

Default Need more proof?

GlobalWarming2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default JUST AN OBSERVER

I have noticed big changes in the sixty six I have existed on this planet don't know if they are good or not, but in the year of 1997 we here in the red river valley had over 100 inches of snow new record i went out and spent time with friends to help sand bag homes. We had one of the worst floods in modern times the whole downtown of Grand Forks burned and flooded because the dikes over flowed and emergency vehicles couldn't get to where they needed, it wasn't but a year or two later we we're flooded again the emergency management officials in Fargo evacuated the nursing home i worked at saying it was another 100 year flooding event, the memory of the last flood was still fresh in my memory. To say that every thing hunky dory is in my opinion is not right. Hope my punctuation and sentence construction is better, my son is an English teacher not me. I know I am opinionated but that is just me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    P.S. Your "examples" exhibit a total lack of common sense.......college degree or not.
    You just exhibited your total inability to recognize irony......college degree or not.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    You just exhibited your total inability to recognize irony......college degree or not.
    That too.

Spyder Garage

Getting back to the original post, I too passed on my annual New Year's Day ride. The high that day in south central Alabama was a balmy 34 degrees with blustery wind. I wimped out.

As to the global warming/cooling discussion, some nuggets I've picked up:

- Several decades ago (and I forget which way the threat was trending back then), some climate scientist put up a slide that proclaimed DOOM, DESTRUCTION, and EXTINCTION if we didn't change our ways. Then one guy in the back spoke up. "Excuse me, but I've seen that same trend line in another forum. I'm an astronomer, and that looks almost exactly like the surface temperature trends over time for Mars and Venus." The point being that the sun is likely the largest driver of variations in Earth's surface temperature.

- I might be more amenable to the arguments that "many scientists agree," if there weren't so many stories out there where scientists have demonstrated that others have been cooking the books on their data. "Watts Up With That" is one well-known blog that captures this.

- I'm especially leery when politicians climb on board an issue and start offering solutions. Most politicians don't know enough to sell K-Y jelly in a bordello. Oddly enough, almost all of their solutions entail taking more money from me and handing it to their cronies. Most of the green initiatives funded by the previous administration (e.g., Solyndra) soon went under after they received their millions of tax dollars. Funny how that happens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    - Several decades ago (and I forget which way the threat was trending back then), some climate scientist put up a slide that proclaimed DOOM, DESTRUCTION, and EXTINCTION if we didn't change our ways. Then one guy in the back spoke up. "Excuse me, but I've seen that same trend line in another forum. I'm an astronomer, and that looks almost exactly like the surface temperature trends over time for Mars and Venus."
    You sure you didn't just stumble into a tent revival meeting?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

why worry, in another 100,000 or so years the climate will cycle again

Spyder Garage

Default just going to ramble a bit more

To say that man has not had an effect on the climate is ridicules. We've had an impact on almost every facet of our environment from tho water we drink to the air we breath, the earth is constantly in flux. I believe what the human creatures on this planet have done is to change the rate of that change. We aren't going to stop this change in its tracks but steps taken now could slow it down. We can also look at things that are advantageous to all of us like higher efficiency form the cars we drive to electrical generation. this saves us the expense of building more power plants and our automobiles have less of an impact on air quality, LED light bulbs give us more light while using less electricity saving everyone money. Common sense is a valuable commodity and we need it.Common sense tells me I don't want to go back to the model t or or using a 100 watt bulb when a 15 watt will do or to the good old days when power plants, factories and mining operations spewed everything into our air and water with out environmental regulation every time we make thing more efficient we cure many problems. Ain't technology great

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To say that man has not had an effect on the climate is ridicules. We've had an impact on almost every facet of our environment from tho water we drink to the air we breath, the earth is constantly in flux. I believe what the human creatures on this planet have done is to change the rate of that change. We aren't going to stop this change in its tracks but steps taken now could slow it down. We can also look at things that are advantageous to all of us like higher efficiency form the cars we drive to electrical generation. this saves us the expense of building more power plants and our automobiles have less of an impact on air quality, LED light bulbs give us more light while using less electricity saving everyone money. Common sense is a valuable commodity and we need it.Common sense tells me I don't want to go back to the model t or or using a 100 watt bulb when a 15 watt will do or to the good old days when power plants, factories and mining operations spewed everything into our air and water with out environmental regulation every time we make thing more efficient we cure many problems. Ain't technology great

Thanks for the ramble. We need to work together to solve this problem, and avoid the partisan bickering that has Congress deadlocked on this and other important issues of our time.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-08-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    We need to work together to solve this problem, not engage in partisan bickering.
    I think you need to explain your comment a bit.

I saw NOTHING in his post that could be characterized as "partisan".

Unless maybe you think the other side of the "argument" is that we should just let everybody and everything run amok so that we kill ourselves off in 100 years or so.

Spyder Garage

I have problems with people saying climate change is natural. I think everybody agrees with that.

My main point, and one other point.
    1. The immediate problem is how fast and how much the climate is changing. Can we adapt to this rapid change?
    2. Coal and oil deposits formed when CO2 levels were much higher and vegetation was much lusher. That removed CO2 from the air. If we put all of that CO2 back into the atmosphere, we will have a climate similar to back then.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you need to explain your comment a bit. I saw NOTHING in his post that could be characterized as "partisan". Unless maybe you think the other side of the "argument" is that we should just let everybody and everything run amok so that we kill ourselves off in 100 years or so.
    I was agreeing with him and saying that we need to work together to solve this problem. I'm concerned that all the partisan bickering in Congress is preventing us making any real progress with this issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I have problems with people saying climate change is natural. I think everybody agrees with that. .
    Well THAT confused me ��. Did you perhaps mean to say “I have NO problems with people saying......”, gnorthern?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I was agreeing with him and saying that we need to work together to solve this problem. I'm concerned that all the partisan bickering in Congress is preventing us making any real progress with this issue.
    OK. When you started out with "Thanks for the ramble.", that kind of took me down the wrong path.

AND......I think I would welcome a bit of old-fashioned bickering.......instead of the current: "Don't talk to me unless you are willing to capitulate 100% with my analysis of the situation."

While that comes from both sides, it comes WAY more from one side........which actually had several of their prominent members say publicly at the beginning of *****'s first term: "We are not going to help with ANYTHING. We are going to do everything we can to see that he falls flat on his face. And then we will laugh when he fails." And they proceeded to do pretty much exactly that. Only they didn't get to gloat nearly as much as they had hoped for.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 01-08-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK. When you started out with "Thanks for the ramble.", that kind of took me down the wrong path.

AND......I think I would welcome a bit of old-fashioned bickering.......instead of the current: "Don't talk to me unless you are willing to capitulate 100% with my analysis of the situation."

While that comes from both sides, it comes WAY more from one side........which actually had several of their prominent members say publicly at the beginning *****'s first term: "We are not going to help with ANYTHING. We are going to do everything we can to see that he falls flat on his face. And then we will laugh when he fails." And they proceeded to do pretty much exactly that. Only they didn't get to gloat nearly as much as they had hoped for.
    Mitch McConnell, upon President O's election, publicly stated that the #1 goal of the GOP Senators, of which he was minority leader, was to make sure O*a*a was a one-term President, by denying him any legislative achievements. Obstruction, obfuscation and misleading propaganda was the game plan for 8 years and it worked somewhat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW. It seems that the name of our last President is being censored out of posts.

I'm floored. Let's try Trump.

Edit: Nope. Trump is OK.......but O b a m a is not ????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Well THAT confused me ��. Did you perhaps mean to say “I have NO problems with people saying......”, gnorthern?

Pete
    What is the difference between no and NO?

btw - Summarizing some of the disagreement I think the question people are debating is "Will the majority of climate change over the next 100 years be natural or due to actions of people?" People seem to saying it is either due to nature or due to man.
    Last edited by gnorthern; 01-08-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    What is the difference between no and NO?
    There would be absolutely no difference if either of the above appeared in your first sentence. But without either of them appearing in your first sentence, your post is a bit hard to follow.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default and Yet

And yet with all of these innovations, we aren't making any difference! (According to all the climate change people) I read several articles that say one of the volcano's erupting, releases more CO2 than all of mankind has since mankind existed.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver