Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If I ever get a chance to grab that Gore fella by the neck...
    Yeah! We need to strangle him for inventing the Internet that lets all the foolishness get disseminated so widely, wildly, and quickly!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    -21 yesterday
    last 2 wks below zero every night
    It's been below zero here every night for I don't know long!! Oh, you mean zero F, not zero C. My goof!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Mosquitos--In our area (Anchorage), the mosquitos start coming out in May. We refer to them as B-52's. They are big and slow moving.
    Right! I heard that one of them flew to Texas a few years ago and landed at an Air Force base. The crew pumped 500 gallons of fuel in her before they recognized it!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I didn’t realise you were that old, Doc.......have you been riding a Spyder all that time ?

Pete
    Good one! I FEEL that old some days!!

Spyder Garage

Default Global warming

I know it is colder in other parts of the country but leaving work Tuesday morning it was 18. Being I work in Atlanta that is cold. I sure do like the heated grips. Made the ride home bearable.

Spyder Garage

The temperature in a relatively small area of the planet for a few days is a sample. The average temperature of the planet over the year is a statistic. The planet is getting warmer.

I first studied global warming in 1973. Since then I have tried to live an energy efficient lifestyle, and our current house is certified energy efficient by the Oregon Energy Trust. But this last go around I decided I won't care until the majority of Americans start caring and bought 4wd SUV.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post

One thing it seems far too few are aware of is the fact that China is leading the way in solar and wind energy technologies. The U.S. seems to be content to sit along side the road and watch the world pass us by.
    And decreasing it's use of coal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I accept that global warming is real because it's the consensus of the scientific community, give or take a couple of outliers, and because I trust people who are smarter than I am who have actually studied the issue and come to that conclusion ...
    About that: There was concensus among scientists in the 60's and 70's, when I was in school, that there was an ice age coming. Hasn't happened, now we are going the other way. There was concensus amoung scientists that Neanderthal man was part of the evolutionary chain leading to homo sapien, saw it in all my science books. About 10-15 years ago, they discovered that Neanderthal and homo sapien were contemporaries in the Middle East, Neanderthals died out and homo sapien continued.

Much of science is educated guesses about what did happen or what will happen. They are still guesses, many have proven wrong.

My un-educated guess is that any warming that has taken place is because of the radiant heat produced by all of the concrete and asphalt that has been poured in the last 50 years. March across a grass field, then across an asphalt road in Mississippi in August and you will see what I mean. I live in a rual area. The temps in the city range anywhere from 5-10 warmer. It's radiant heat.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

IMG_3088.JPG Found after a similar conversation with a bud FYI the conversation was back in '15 about Louisiana snow , & how only gifted adults get to make snowmen here. But has been done IMG_2213.jpg IMG_2197.jpgretaining the knowledge till the nxt snow is the hard part.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.. people who have nothing to gain from drawing that conclusion, unlike people who have a financial stake in unlimited growth and things the way they are.

I am am so pleased that you claim to stand on much higher ground, because you trust the "people that have nothing to gain". Mr. Gore certainly made no money from the books, speeches, carbon credit bank scam, and the "smarter" minions that he paid after counseling them to adopt and confirm his project I am sure made nothing from it.

Just because you only read and research one side of an issue does not make it fact.

there are plenty of real, respected and trusted researchers out there that have been bunking this "man made" global warming issue. Most of them admit that we did go through some periods of change in recent decades, but there was also during that same period an unusually high activity from the sun at the same time, meanwhile in the more recent decade we seem to be cooling off.

There is so much more, especially on this CO2 issue, but hey, it is a poison to us so we should limit it, but then we claim that we don't have enough trees and it is good for the trees.

Time will tell, but neither me, my kids nor theirs will be here for the demise, either way it goes.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 01-03-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"-- and why I support efforts to control CO2 emissions [although Chinese coal-burning power plants are such high emitters of CO2 that they should be the first ones to be controlled"

Now you did it, the Chinese. YOUR famous Paris Accords on climate change that was supposed to heavily tax the industrialized world for their sins against Mother Earth and pass it along to the undeveloped nations was another hoax. Of all the countries in the world China was listed as a developing nation and exempt from the "tax". Really, between China and India I am not sure that we can even scratch their performance. If you have not been there and seen it you should not talk about it, the media won't, but their pollution is outright blatant and without concern.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah,right...

I have to laugh when I read this. Kill off the mosquitoes?
    What are the 2 coldest states in the country?
    Minnesota and Alaska.
    Those 2 states grow mosquitoes as big as birds!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Minus 9 here in Indiana this morning! Too cold to do my annual New Years' Ryde. If this keeps up we will have to put heaters on our Spyders. Been back in 1870...something since we were this low.
    At least this should kill off some mosquitoes for the summer....

Spyder Garage

Default 45 above?

I'd love to see it that warm here in Ohio, I could get a few miles on my '14 RT-S.
    It hasn't been 45 here in 3 weeks. 9 below this AM. But relief is coming, 11 for the high
    tomorrow, but 38 coming Sunday! But rain, maybe the rain will wash some of the
    salt and sand off the roads. They are so white with salt it looks like they have been painted!
    Cars driving by make white dust. Not exactly Spyder weather.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    In Alaska this AM: We have 45 degrees above zero. The Pineapple Express winds are blowing again. The snow is melting again. I have not used my snowblower this season yet.

Global warming is noticeable here. The glaciers are melting very fast--as in almost a mile a year now. The Northwest Passage is open in summer and getting earlier each year.

Eventually we may have a Spyderfest in January here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back to the mosquitoes for a moment...
    My Son and I were headed to our deer camp in the Adirondacks for a long weekend of ATVing. We stopped in one of those Yuppie outdoorsy style stores; that sold overpriced stuff to the visiting urbanites...

...But they DID have a huge supply of Ben's 100 bug repellent.
    (100% DEET: the GOOD stuff! )
    Knowing that anything with more than 37% DEET wasn't legal for sale in this stupid State: I asked the owner why he had it out in the open.
    Of course: I had five bottles of the stuff in my hand at the time!
    His response:
    "I lived in Alaska for ten years, and the goddamned mosquitoes in the Adirondacks are MUCH worse!"

So I picked up another bottle, and happily paid him!

Up here we measure them. One that's only two inches (between the eyeballs!), has a lot of growing left to do!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "General Consensus" does not exist!

This phrase "General Consensus" is complete BS when it comes to the global warming argument.
    For that phrase to be legit there must be a list of every climate scientist and their opinion, there is not.
    Adding insult to the man made climate change crowd I would like to add....YOU HAVE BEEN CAUGHT FABRICATING DATA!

I feel as stated previously BRP, CAN-AM and Harley Davidson manufacturing plants killed off the dinosaurs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Bring it on!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    I have to laugh when I read this. Kill off the mosquitoes?
    What are the 2 coldest states in the country?
    Minnesota and Alaska.
    Those 2 states grow mosquitoes as big as birds!
    Chuck
    They have adapted to the cold there. Here, not so much...
    Seems there are two schools of thought on this. I did find this though:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/1...ill-mosquitos/
    With us being in the negatives for the first time in a while, I am being optimistic.

Looks like the best is (or worst) is yet to come:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c5a91dc62181
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 01-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Back to the mosquitoes for a moment...
    <snip>
    Up here we measure them. One that's only two inches (between the eyeballs!), has a lot of growing left to do!
    Interesting factoid about mosquitoes...

A mosquito is so nimble in flight that it can fly through a rainstorm dodging every raindrop so perfectly that it reaches its destination bone-dry!

(Hey, it must be true! I read it decades ago in a magazine, not on the Internet.)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default winter

did the polar bear ride here on new years day. 0 deg. 75 miles no problem

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m not sure if the climat change is our fault or not. It does tend to fluctuate once every few years or so. That said 2017 was the hottest year on record in Las Vegas,NV. Of course weather records have only been kept here since 1937 so...
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    Good, a native that would know about mosquitos in Alaska.
    1. Is it normal for the coastal areas to not have that many mosquitos? I have had good luck in the Glacier Bay and Juneau area.
    2. Is there a time before freezing weather when they thin out?
    3. I was southwest of Fairbanks one time on a forest fire and though thick I was amazed at how well 40% DEET insect repellent worked. Is that true further north in the tundra?

Thanks.

P.S. I know the roads in Alaska are not suitable for a Spyder. This would be in an SUV.
    I am not an "expert" on the flying vampires. But here goes.

1. Sounds logical--no scientific information though. Those that go "far north" can expect to wear a headnet to keep the critters at bay. They do get fierce up there.

2. Freezing weather will thin them out. You get that just south of Fairbanks in early September and even a bit earlier north of the Arctic Circle.

3. The high concentration of DEET does keep them at bay.

4. The bad roads are somewhat of a myth. We do have a large paved road system (Hwy 1, 2, 3, 4) that kind of makes an inland circle. Get off the road system and above the Arctic Circle and the roads are not Spyder friendly, unless you like gravel, frost heaves, and pot holes. I have over 140,000 Spyder miles on AK roads.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default suspicious

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    About that: There was concensus among scientists in the 60's and 70's, when I was in school, that there was an ice age coming. Hasn't happened, now we are going the other way. There was concensus amoung scientists that Neanderthal man was part of the evolutionary chain leading to homo sapien, saw it in all my science books. About 10-15 years ago, they discovered that Neanderthal and homo sapien were contemporaries in the Middle East, Neanderthals died out and homo sapien continued.

Much of science is educated guesses about what did happen or what will happen. They are still guesses, many have proven wrong.

My un-educated guess is that any warming that has taken place is because of the radiant heat produced by all of the concrete and asphalt that has been poured in the last 50 years. March across a grass field, then across an asphalt road in Mississippi in August and you will see what I mean. I live in a rual area. The temps in the city range anywhere from 5-10 warmer. It's radiant heat.
    I'm suspicious about the data sources. I know for a fact that the temp sensor for downtown Los Angeles was moved from a green belt in Exposition Park to the center of a concrete plaza at the Department of Water and Power. I know that's a fact because I installed the phone and data lines that the sensor reports on. Climate change exists, the climate has always been changing, but how much of it is man-made and how much of a threat is it in reality? Some places will get warmer and less fertile, others with get warmer and more fertile. It's not the end of the world, Homo Sapiens is a very adaptable species.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 01-04-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    warming that has taken place is because of the radiant heat produced by all of the concrete and asphalt that has been poured in the last 50 years. March across a grass field, then across an asphalt road in Mississippi in August and you will see what I mean. I live in a rual area. The temps in the city range anywhere from 5-10 warmer. It's radiant heat.
    I agree that is a major source of man-made warming, but certainly not the only one. The first step is to agree there is an adverse impact on our environment from man-made sources. Some we can do something about and some we can't. But, first we have to stop burying our head in the sand and acknowledge what is going on and why.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There's a big difference between weather and climate.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Minus 9 here in Indiana this morning! Too cold to do my annual New Years' Ryde. If this keeps up we will have to put heaters on our Spyders. Been back in 1870...something since we were this low.
    At least this should kill off some mosquitoes for the summer....
    I've been to Alaska, cold doesn't work on those Hummingbird size skeeters.......so not sure it will work here in the lower 48.....wish it would though!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)