Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1330 MOTOR OIL

Spyder Garage

Default 1330 MOTOR OIL

hey there gulls & boeys.....

i'm looking at different motor oils for my 1330... i notice at Walmarts that they had two types of MOBIL 1 oils for motorcycles...
    T4 Racing, which has an API rating of SH
    https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil which PQIA says is OBSOLETE... http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

where as, the
    MOBIL 1, V-TWIN is rated at SJ... which is what is recommended by BRP for our 1330's.... but it only comes in 20W-50....
    https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil

is anyone out there familiar with the
    MOBIL 1 oils, and if so, what is/are your view/s on using this oil...? some of the comments i've read, are all positive in nature...

not that i'm cheap (well maybe i am), but both
    MOBIL 1's are under $10.00 a quart....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 motor oil

I'm not knocking Mobil 1 ( if the correct type ) but WallyWorld also sells Valvoline 4 T- stroke Full Syn in 10/40 this is Jaso MA2 and has the second lowest Moly added ....only Amsoil has less ....Moly is BAD for wet clutches .... sometimes can be had in a " six-pack " at a bargain price ...... Great Oil ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-29-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default hmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not knocking Mobil 1 ( if the correct type ) but WallyWorld also sells Valvoline 4 T- stroke Full Syn in 10/40 this is Jaso 2 and has the second lowest Moly added ....only Amsoil has less ....Moly is BAD for wet clutches .... sometimes can be had in a " six-pack " at a bargain price ...... Great Oil ... Mike
    thx Mike, i'll check that out on my next trip to Wallys...
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

watch the Moly....I had a great year when "Slick-50" hit the market...Lots of clutch jobs with engine flushes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Valvoline 10w 40 T4 full synthetic motorcycle oil that mike wrote about is currently on sale at Walmart by the single qt for $6.67/qt. The 10w40 six pack does not seem to be available but the 20w50 six pack is at $6.67/qt. You can have it shipped to your local walmart and you pick it up for no shipping cost.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_i...hProductResult

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What about the oil Lamonster Garage is selling? Not sure if that is what you are looking for to use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not knocking Mobil 1 ( if the correct type ) but WallyWorld also sells Valvoline 4 T- stroke Full Syn in 10/40 this is Jaso 2 and has the second lowest Moly added ....only Amsoil has less ....Moly is BAD for wet clutches .... sometimes can be had in a " six-pack " at a bargain price ...... Great Oil ... Mike
    Good to know. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have used the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It is rated JASO MA/MA2 and API SH which is listed as an acceptable service requirement in my owner's manual. In my Spyder it did shear down pretty significantly by about 4,000 miles when I last had it tested. I have since switched to Amsoil Metric 10W-40 full synthetic that is rated JASO MA/MA2 and API SG, SL/CF, again listed as acceptable in my owner's manual. The huge difference in the performance of the Amsoil is that at 6,128 miles its viscosity is still in the low SAE 40 range (cSt 100C of 13.1). I still have that oil in the engine and intend to have it analyzed at 9,300 when I will change it. I have 34,520 on the clock and about 2,500 to go before next oil change.

The Mobil 1 performed well with the most significant difference over the BRP synthetic blend being smoother shifting. I am sticking with the Amsoil based on its viscosity stability. BajaRon's price is well worth it buying by the case.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The new oil that Lamonster has come out with sounds like it should be a good ol for our Spyders and he put a lot of effort into getting it right.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

yikes..... prices are all over the place....

Valvoline 4‑Stroke Motorcycle Full Synthetic 10W‑40...
    Shop now
    $6.84·Jet.com
    $8.47·Zody's
    $13.49·Automotive Parts Factory
    $6.67·Walmart
    $16.06·eBay

Spyder Garage

Quite a few people use Shell Rotella 5T full synthetic in their motorcycles with wet clutches and have had good results. It's also available at Walmart in gallon jugs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am fine with Amsoil 10w40 Metric Check with Baja Ron for that product

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PRICES

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    yikes..... prices are all over the place....

Valvoline 4‑Stroke Motorcycle Full Synthetic 10W‑40...
    Shop now
    $6.84·Jet.com
    $8.47·Zody's
    $13.49·Automotive Parts Factory
    $6.67·Walmart
    $16.06·eBay
    I didn't know about " JET " .......... I do know you can get Valvoline to a store shipped free if they don't stock it ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil tests....

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have used the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It is rated JASO MA/MA2 and API SH which is listed as an acceptable service requirement in my owner's manual. In my Spyder it did shear down pretty significantly by about 4,000 miles when I last had it tested. I have since switched to Amsoil Metric 10W-40 full synthetic that is rated JASO MA/MA2 and API SG, SL/CF, again listed as acceptable in my owner's manual. The huge difference in the performance of the Amsoil is that at 6,128 miles its viscosity is still in the low SAE 40 range (cSt 100C of 13.1). I still have that oil in the engine and intend to have it analyzed at 9,300 when I will change it. I have 34,520 on the clock and about 2,500 to go before next oil change.

The Mobil 1 performed well with the most significant difference over the BRP synthetic blend being smoother shifting. I am sticking with the Amsoil based on its viscosity stability. BajaRon's price is well worth it buying by the case.
    I've had my oil tested several times also. I tested BRP semi synthetic 5w20 once and Amsoil full synthetic 10w40 a couple of times. Short story, is that Amsoil 10w40, as well as many other top of the line 10w40 oils, stable out their viscosity in about 4k miles to an SAE range of approx. 35/40. My last two tests of Amsoil were at 6k and 9k (9k was cSt 100C of 10,8) both tested out in the SAE 35/40 range. BRP oil at 6k was in the mid 20 range. So, if you're running 9k oil & filter changes as recommended, with top of the line products, who cares about how pennies you are spending as long as you are not abusing your machine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    hey there gulls & boeys.....

i'm looking at different motor oils for my 1330... i notice at Walmarts that they had two types of MOBIL 1 oils for motorcycles...
    T4 Racing, which has an API rating of SH
    https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil which PQIA says is OBSOLETE... http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

where as, the
    MOBIL 1, V-TWIN is rated at SJ... which is what is recommended by BRP for our 1330's.... but it only comes in 20W-50....
    https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil

is anyone out there familiar with the
    MOBIL 1 oils, and if so, what is/are your view/s on using this oil...? some of the comments i've read, are all positive in nature...

not that i'm cheap (well maybe i am), but both
    MOBIL 1's are under $10.00 a quart....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I've run Mobil 1 4t in all my bikes, including my Goldwing(s) and now my Spyder and have towed a trailer behind both Wings and Spyder and have not had a motor burn it or leave me on the side of the road yet (yes I'm "knocking on wood" at the moment cause I'm superstitious!). Run what you want and feel comfortable with, lot's of quality oils out there. MadMac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've had my oil tested several times also. I tested BRP semi synthetic 5w20 once and Amsoil full synthetic 10w40 a couple of times. Short story, is that Amsoil 10w40, as well as many other top of the line 10w40 oils, stable out their viscosity in about 4k miles to an SAE range of approx. 35/40. My last two tests of Amsoil were at 6k and 9k (9k was cSt 100C of 10,8) both tested out in the SAE 35/40 range. BRP oil at 6k was in the mid 20 range. So, if you're running 9k oil & filter changes as recommended, with top of the line products, who cares about how pennies you are spending as long as you are not abusing your machine.
    Now that is some useful info, thanks! I am dumping mine at 5k! It sure removed any thoughts I had about whether or not to run it longer! 8-/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default MAD MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    I've run Mobil 1 4t in all my bikes, including my Goldwing(s) and now my Spyder and have towed a trailer behind both Wings and Spyder and have not had a motor burn it or leave me on the side of the road yet (yes I'm "knocking on wood" at the moment cause I'm superstitious!). Run what you want and feel comfortable with, lot's of quality oils out there. MadMac
    MM;
    you may want to click on this link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
    the SH rating scares me since it's now obsulete.....
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Good info and advice. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As I read the PQIA home page it specifically refers to automotive/automobile engines. What is of utmost concern to me as a Spyder owner is what the technical specifications page in my operator's guide says about the API service classification the oil I use must meet. For RT owners of MYs 2014-2018 (Bob, yours is coming) the service classifications are shown below. Sorry, you F3 owners must do your own digging.

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2017 -- SJ, SL, SM, SN, JASO MA2
    2018 -- SJ, SL, SM, SN, JASO MA2

FWIW, I find no API Donut on either Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 or Amsoil Metric 10W-40 oil bottles. PQIA specifically tells automobile owners to look for that donut which identifies the motor oil as resource conserving. That resource conserving label applies specifically to automobile oils.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As I read the PQIA home page it specifically refers to automotive/automobile engines. What is of utmost concern to me as a Spyder owner is what the technical specifications page in my operator's guide says about the API service classification the oil I use must meet. For RT owners of MYs 2014-2018 (Bob, yours is coming) the service classifications are shown below. Sorry, you F3 owners must do your own digging.

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG

FWIW, I find no API Donut on either Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40 or Amsoil Metric 10W-40 oil bottles. PQIA specifically tells automobile owners to look for that donut which identifies the motor oil as resource conserving. That resource conserving label applies specifically to automobile oils.
    There's no API donut because they don't submit that oil to the API for testing and certification because it's not for an automobile, it's motorcycle specific oil. As I understand it, API testing and certification is expensive and unnecessary because of the oil's usage.

MA1 is the older specification and MA2 is the newer one. The difference being MA2 is specifically formulated for use with a catalytic converter. The chemical differences between MA1 and 2 are so small that IMO it doesn't matter.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

2014 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2015 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG
    2016 -- SL, SJ, SH, SG

Interesting table in light of the specific requirement that the 998 engine bikes have requiring the oil NOT be API SM or higher rated.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    Quite a few people use Shell Rotella 5T full synthetic in their motorcycles with wet clutches and have had good results. It's also available at Walmart in gallon jugs.
    Make that Rotella T6.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The new oil that Lamonster has come out with sounds like it should be a good ol for our Spyders and he put a lot of effort into getting it right.

I would very much like to see used oil analysis reports of that oil to compare to Amsoil and Rotella which are well known. I have no reason to believe it will not show excellent results but would much like to see the analysis reports.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    There's no API donut...
    Thank you for the donut explanation. I did not even consider the testing cost and it makes perfect sense for not doing it on motorcycle oils.

I think that for many of us Spyder owners the number of trips we've made arounnd the sun carries with it our experiences with motor oils when we were much younger. The petroleum industry has advanced light years since I was a teenager tearing into different types of internal combustion engines. That's why I personally believe relying on what's in my operator's guide is the most prudent course of action. AND, oil analysis is the only way we can tell how individual products perform.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

WOW....! ! !
    i am glad i asked the question....
    i'm learning a BOAT LOAD of GOOD info here.... keep that info coming...
    we have quiet a few talented people on this website... cheers to all...
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, and see you on the road in 2018....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R