Spyder Garage

Question Issue with rear hub????

I've tried searches and haven't found anything so here goes.
    2011 RTS SE5 with 28,000 miles
    Clutch was replaced 500 miles ago by a very qualified mechanic in Kississimee Florida.

Clutch is working well but since gettin the bike back I've noticed the following:

When I start it and put the bike in either forward or reverse and give it just a little throttle, It feels like something not right in the back wheel.

The best way I can describe it is like a bicycle chain slipping on the sprocket or a bicycle caught between gears.

Once I start riding everything seems to perform properly.

I edited because prior to having the clutch replaced, I had a new kumho tire installed but didn't notice the issue until after the clutch was replaced about 500 miles after the tire was installed.

Your thoughts are appreciated before I take it back to the dealer.

thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by Wrongway; 12-28-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Rear tire also replaced
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

C
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    ..... When I start it and put the bike in either forward or reverse and give it just a little throttle, It feels like something not right in the back wheel. ....
    Hmmmm, so are you trying to say it feels like there's a little bit of slack in the driveline as you apply throttle & it takes up? Or that there's sort of a pause between applying throttle & anything happening?? Or maybe it feels like the back wheel wobbles a bit?? Or possibly thst there's a clunk back there somewhere on either gear engagement??? Or what?!? I guess I feel the need for something just a little more descriptive.... I can't quite get my mind around what you're trying to say.... yet?! Got anything else?? Noises? Squirms? What? Anything??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

There was an issue with the springs used on the Se5. Had a ryding buddy that had clutch work done and later had to go back in to replace the springs. Something to check. Looking over the clutch parts there are a lot of updated part. If belt and sprockets are good it would have to be in the clutch...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    C

Hmmmm, so are you trying to say it feels like there's a little bit of slack in the driveline as you apply throttle & it takes up? Or that there's sort of a pause between applying throttle & anything happening?? Or maybe it feels like the back wheel wobbles a bit?? Or possibly thst there's a clunk back there somewhere on either gear engagement??? Or what?!? I guess I feel the need for something just a little more descriptive.... I can't quite get my mind around what you're trying to say.... yet?! Got anything else?? Noises? Squirms? What? Anything??
    No pause between applying throttle and anything happening.
    No clunk.

As soon as I put it in gear and start to apply throttle, it sounds/feels like a chain slipping. On a sprocket on a bicycle. It will do it several times and if I apply more throttle it stops doing it and performs normally.
    The noise definately sounds like it's coming from the rear wheel area.

No noises other that the noise like a chain slipping and not squirms.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Well....🤔

From your last description I ask... did they check the bearings when they replaced the tire..? It sound like it is in that area perhaps belt tension has stressed them since the tire change. Could raise the rear wheel and give it the 6&12..3&9 test and see if you have any play...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

And also, maybe check the belt itself VERY carefully, looking for any loose or missing teeth; and check the tension while you are there. Twist the belt sideways in the middle of the long gap between pulleys to do that. Then while you're down there, inspect each and every tooth on the pulleys AND on the front pulley spline!! To me, everything you describe suggests that there is some slop or something skipping in there somewhere, & that implies teeth not meshing due to wear, incorrect tension, or worn out &/or sloppy bearings....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And also, maybe check the belt itself VERY carefully, looking for any loose or missing teeth; and check the tension while you are there. Twist the belt sideways in the middle of the long gap between pulleys to do that. Then while you're down there, inspect each and every tooth on the pulleys AND on the front pulley spline!! To me, everything you describe suggests that there is some slop or something skipping in there somewhere, & that implies teeth not meshing due to wear, incorrect tension, or worn out &/or sloppy bearings....
    +1 on the belt advise.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

I've tried searches and haven't found anything so here goes.
    2011 RTS SE5 with 28,000 miles
    Clutch was replaced 500 miles ago by a very qualified mechanic in Kississimee Florida.

Clutch is working well but since gettin the bike back I've noticed the following:

When I start it and put the bike in either forward or reverse and give it just a little throttle, It feels like something not right in the back wheel.

The best way I can describe it is like a bicycle chain slipping on the sprocket or a bicycle caught between gears.

Once I start riding everything seems to perform properly.

I edited because prior to having the clutch replaced, I had a new kumho tire installed but didn't notice the issue until after the clutch was replaced about 500 miles after the tire was installed.

Your thoughts are appreciated before I take it back to the dealer.

thanks
    Greg
    Just wondering is yours a SE and if so does it still do it when it is at operating temp. I know some feels like this until the engine gets to good operating temp. Just something else to think about. My wife has a SE and will feel like this if I try and ride it before it warms up good.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Just wondering is yours a SE and if so does it still do it when it is at operating temp. I know some feels like this until the engine gets to good operating temp. Just something else to think about. My wife has a SE and will feel like this if I try and ride it before it warms up good.
    David
    Interesting because yes, it is an SE5 and to problem does seem to go away once the bike is up to operating temperature but I'll check that more closely for sure.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil and Temp

Just a thought, Are you using Spyder OIL. Also The Oil Temp DOES make a BIG difference. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Just a thought, Are you using Spyder OIL. Also The Oil Temp DOES make a BIG difference. Little Blue
    Definately Spyder oil at the full level.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    My dad's 2013 did this when we first got it home. It had a weak battery and seemed that it was not fully engaging first or reverse gear. Made a terrible sound like what your describing. A fully charged battery cured it. If you have a good battery, then maybe the linkage for the shift solonoid needs adjusting. I am sure they had it off when they changed the clutch. They might not have reinstalled it the same.
    Good point. I keep a battery tender hooked up when the spyder is sitting but the shift solenoid is a possibility.
    Guess I'll book an appointment at the dealer and see what they think.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Interesting because yes, it is an SE5 and to problem does seem to go away once the bike is up to operating temperature but I'll check that more closely for sure.
    The clutch disc will chatter or seems to feel like a belt slipping on the sprocket. First time my wife's did it I thought something was bad wrong. The SE are known to do this. So I would let it warm up good before putting in reverse or forward and see if this helps.
    David

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd also want to revisit the comment about the shift linkage - in case they removed it - just to be sure it's not one spline off. The dot on the end of the shaft must align with the slot in the arm. Maybe something you can check out yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Another possibility I'll throw into the mix is the rubber hub cushions could be the problem. Missing, misaligned, etc.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Hub

Anything new about your problem? What was the real issue? Please LET US SPYDER people Know.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Finally to the Spyder to the dealer....AND

Sorry for the late reply but we're in Florida for the winter. January was too cold to ride (for me).
    Then in February we had to fly home for 6 weeks for family reasons.
    Anyway, I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday and picked it up on Saturday. I had a good chance to discuss the symtoms with the mechanic when I dropped it off and again when I picked it up.
    Diagnosis????? A loose belt..........
    He took off both sprockets and both the sprockets and splines were perfect. Also checked wheel bearings and all ok. Also checked belt and all ok.
    Buds showed no codes or issues.
    He tightened the belt......basically that's all that he did at the end of the day. He is very insistent that it's not clutch related but (maybe he doesn't want to spend all that time at no cost to me??)
    I went out this morning and started the spyder. Without letting it warm up, I put it in reverse and same issue but not as severe. Backed out of the driveway and same issue but again not as severe.
    Within 100 feet I stopped, turned off the bike and let it sit for 10 minutes. Restarted it, put it in gear and no issues.
    Based on it not being as severe after the belt tension being adjusted, I'm guessing it's in the belt adjustment area but not sure.
    At the end of the day, I'm going to ride it and if it gets any worse again, it's ADIOS to this Spyder.
    I'd love to trade on on a left over 2017 Base RT that I found at a reputable dealer close to home in Canada. It's $5,000.00 off list price but still to rich for my wallet.
    The problem is that the 2017 brand new is only $4500.00 more than any used 2014 that I can find and basically the same price as a used 2015 or 2016.
    Possibly going back to a goldwing which is a shame because I really love the stability of having 3 wheels.
    The saga continues.
    regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default electric shift solenoid???

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    It is not belt tension. It is the electric shift solenoid out of adjustment.
    Thanks Joel:
    You sound very sure of it being the electric shift solenoid..
    That wouldn't show up in BUDS???

I'll phone the mechanic tomorrow and ask him about that.

Thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)