Spyder Garage

Default Issue with my Seal floorboards

Just got my seal boards and am having a problem with the shifter (2012 RS SM5). It very very difficult to shift into 1st. and reverse as well as down shifting, I have to put my toes between the plastic and the shifter and literally have to slam the shifter backwards to get it to move. Also as a side note, it won't shift into 1st. without the engine running, but will shift to 2nd.. I emailed Seal today, but no response yet. I like the boards from a comfort point of view, just not the shifter. Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

You may have to move the shifter up a notch or two. Not familiar with the installation on a manual but your shifter has two adjustments. The toe piece can be rotated for different angles and the shifter can be rotated on the shift shaft. See what SealBoards has to say about it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not contact SEALBOARDS. I am sure he can help you.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue with the web boards on my 2014 RT SM6, and a friend had the same issue with his bike of the same kind (only different color) with his seal boards. There is some adjustment that needs to be made with a shifting rod underneath the bike. Very small movements can make a world of difference. BTW I had the heel toe shifter on mine.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll look at adjusting the shift linkage, had a reply from John and will also try his suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Why not contact SEALBOARDS. I am sure he can help you.
    He said in his first post that he has contacted SEAL, trikermutha, but is just checking on here in case someone has any ideas while he is awaiting a response.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    He said in his first post that he has contacted SEAL, trikermutha, but is just checking on here in case someone has any ideas while he is awaiting a response.

Pete
    Copy That. Sometime I have to read thing like 4 times before it sinks in..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Copy That. Sometime I have to read thing like 4 times before it sinks in..
    Believe me, Triker........you’re NOT alone.....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Took he Can out today for a very very short trip and found that I can shift up OK still have problems with shifting down, got home and saw that the shift lever was bent, I guess from down shifting, I didn't think I was slamming it that hard but maybe I was.

Spyder Garage

Default Seal floor boards and SM shifters on RS does not apply to RT's.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    Just got my seal boards and am having a problem with the shifter (2012 RS SM5). It very very difficult to shift into 1st. and reverse as well as down shifting, I have to put my toes between the plastic and the shifter and literally have to slam the shifter backwards to get it to move. Also as a side note, it won't shift into 1st. without the engine running, but will shift to 2nd.. I emailed Seal today, but no response yet. I like the boards from a comfort point of view, just not the shifter. Any help would be appreciated.
    Funny you should mention this, same problem with mine so here is what I did. Got some small square stock metal tubing and fabricated this to weld onto the inside of the shift lever. Works great, less filling!! I should fess up however, this is a friends handy work from my suggestions for what I
    needed
    .IMG_20171230_081013118.jpgIMG_20171230_081023925.jpgIMG_20171230_081028966.jpg

Hope this helps. BTW John from Seal floor boards saw this at spyderfest last spring and seemed to indicate that he was going to incorporate this with his RS SM floorboards. Seems he hasn't gotten the changes made yet. He does have a great, if pricey product, which does as claimed add comfort to your trips.

The other comments made by those who have RT's are viable adjustment options for the RT SM's.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks Al, I'm not exactly sure what you did based on the pics. What I think I'm going to try is to bend the front part of the shifter where the bolt and large washer go and then fab up a small piece of of stock steel to go onto the lever where it goes into the star of the shift linkage. Mine is about 1/8" to small so that only a small part of one corner is actually engaging the star. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Finally got the shifter to work. It took me welding some small strips of 18 ga. steel to the back and the top on the piece that goes into the star and then I put about 7 or 8 washers on the screw between the shift linkage and the shifter and a larger washer on the back side. It seems to work well now but time will tell. Other than this problem with the shifter I love these boards, kudo's John.
    Last edited by mikeinco; 12-30-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

As a final note to this issue, I resorted to making my own shifter to replace the one I received from Seal, now this is not to say that their's doesn't work, I just decided to engineer my own. I started with a piece of 10mm square steel bar, then had the actual arms made by a machine shop and welded to the square bar and attached the pegs from an old set of heel toe shifters. The 10mm bar fits perfectly inside the BRP shift lever, granted there are linited ways to insert the bar for positioning. What I did to position the shift lever was change it on the bar that goes directly into the gear box. Now to shift into 1st and reverse step down on the rear, to shift up you have to push the front peg foward(I use the rear peg to shift both ways but can use the front peg). Questions? Attached is a pic of the setup. ThanksP1020892.jpg

Spyder Garage

I am trying to decide on going for Seal Boards or Rivco boards for my 2012 RS SM5. So the RS SM5 Seal Board comes with a shifter that doesn't work so you guys had to mod it to get it to work?
    Roadkrome luggage rack
    Shad SH45 hard case
    Bajaron anti-sway bar and Heim links
    Mirror extensions
    Spyderpops air dam foam kit
    Rivco handlebar risers (purchased and on my mods to do list)

"A damn good feeling to run these roads" - Tyler Childers
    "I close my eyes, it was all so clear, it was all right then, it was all right there" - Tyler Childers
    "Woke up today and decided to kill my ego, it ain't ever done me no good no how" - Sturgill Simpson
    www.squanchkava.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Squanchkava72 View Post
    I am trying to decide on going for Seal Boards or Rivco boards for my 2012 RS SM5. So the RS SM5 Seal Board comes with a shifter that doesn't work so you guys had to mod it to get it to work?
    I wouldn't say it doesn't work, I was not happy with the way it fits into the shift arm. If I had to do again, I would still get the Seal boards, but just modify the included shift lever, if you have the capability to do it weld a piece pf 10mm square steel onto it and it gives a much sturdier shifter.Thanks

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys are great. I'm working on my shifter problem and your support for Seal Floorboards is greatly appreciated. I will fix the prob. For many of you it's just a matter of rotating the shifter a little. Some great solutions out there. Please bare with me.
    Ride i comfort,
    John
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 04-16-2018 at 10:31 AM.