Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Crampbuster or Throttle Rocker

Hi Everyone, Has anyone tried using the Crampbuster or Throttle Rocker on there spyder. I broke my wrist in September and can't rotate my wrist very well with my fist closed so was hoping this might help when riding as I can open my hand some while riding. Was just wondering if these were good and how people liked them if they had them. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!!! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by luv2spider View Post
    Hi Everyone, Has anyone tried using the Crampbuster or Throttle Rocker on there spyder. I broke my wrist in September and can't rotate my wrist very well with my fist closed so was hoping this might help when riding as I can open my hand some while riding. Was just wondering if these were good and how people liked them if they had them. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!!! Thanks
    Used the Crampbuster from day one on in my 2014 RT and transferred it to my 2017 F3. Helps in town but I use the cruise control a lot also.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default Palm throttle

Well that's what I call it. Crampbuster is the only way to go. Not crazy about cruise control on a bike though installed a ton in my time. Good thing is they are cheap so if you should need more no great loss. Once your wrist gets better you will keep it anyway cause they give you right hand a rest...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both from my 2-wheeling days. Although we have RTL's with cruise control, my wife wanted something to help her twist the throttle with her rheumatoid wrist so I installed the Throttle Rocker and she likes it.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I went through 3 Crampbusters in about 4 years, the plastic loop that goes around the grip would stretch and slip. I picked up a Throttle Rocker 4 years ago, it fastens on with a velcro strip. It hasn't slipped yet.

john

Spyder Garage

Had those on the 2008 and 2009's. Not used on the RT's. They worked well for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HELPER DEVICES

I had similar issues ...... I removed one of the return springs ( at cheapcycleparts.com it's part #219800381 ).....and this solved the problem ...... The throttle will still shut-off , if I release my hand pressure ( the pressure from the cap needs to be fine tuned tho )..... but the amount of force needed to accelerate or hold steady speed is about 1/2 what it was before ...... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-26-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've had both brands. I like the throttle rocker best. It curves down on the left side and feels more comfortable. They make two models. One with Velcro strap. One without. I have the strap. It stays put no slipping. The crampbuster was to wide for me and no curve in it. Felt to big.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I've had both brands. I like the throttle rocker best. It curves down on the left side and feels more comfortable. They make two models. One with Velcro strap. One without. I have the strap. It stays put no slipping. The crampbuster was to wide for me and no curve in it. Felt to big.
    I also have both, and used them on my M109's and my 2012 RSS. I preferred cruise control, but when that was not an option, I used both different cramp busters. I liked the one without the strap best because it was easier and quicker to remove. I say this, because i would use it on our way to the mountains, but once we get there, I remove it. It was not good for using on curvy mountain roads where changes in the throttle position happens quickly and often.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I think I will get the throttle rocker. Sounds like that one doesn’t slip and stays in place. Thanks so much again for all the input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the throttle rocker on a bike years ago during an experienced rider course.
    My instructor took it off my bike and threw it across the parking lot and told me to ride over it.
    What he told me and from my experience is that they do cause you to occasionally twist the throttle when you don't want to.
    Now I make it a point of telling people not to buy them.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I had the throttle rocker on a bike years ago during an experienced rider course.
    My instructor took it off my bike and threw it across the parking lot and told me to ride over it.
    What he told me and from my experience is that they do cause you to occasionally twist the throttle when you don't want to.
    That is why I did not use mine for riding on roads where I had to vary the speed, or make many turns. What he said was correct. But for open road driving, it can be a hand and wrist saver. You just have to be aware of it being there.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have, and still do use the Crampbuster on my 2-wheeled motorcycles. I have also used it on my Spyder during long distance road trips. It's a good option when traffic doesn't really allow for the use of cruise control.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That training session would have ended badly if the instructor had tried that **** with me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have used the crampbuster on both the bikes and the spyder. Works fine on open roads with not a lot of turns. I only use the 1" wide one, any larger it impedes with my controls. I have a Vista Cruise throttle lock on the VFR, it's a PITA to keep adjusted and find the fine balance between maintaining throttle position and slipping. I envy late model Spyders with electronic cruise control.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I'm a MSF RiderCoach and must say there is no excuse for that type of behavior from a RC (i.e. taking it off your bike and throwing it a cross the across the range). That said, I too wouldn't allow a student to use one during a BRC because it's a novice environment but wouldn't have an issue with the student to have it mounted to the bike during a higher skilled class (BRC2, ARC, etc) as long as it didn't hinder the safe operation of the bike.
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That training session would have ended badly if the instructor had tried that **** with me.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    I'm a MSF RiderCoach and must say there is no excuse for that type of behavior from a RC (i.e. taking it off your bike and throwing it a cross the across the range). That said, I too wouldn't allow a student to use one during a BRC because it's a novice environment but wouldn't have an issue with the student to have it mounted to the bike during a higher skilled class (BRC2, ARC, etc) as long as it didn't hinder the safe operation of the bike.
    It wasn't a BRC....it was an ERC and he was a road captain in my club at the time. (also a friend)
    I must say it was many years ago and even at the time I was a bit desperate for some "hand relief" on long trips.
    I knew occasionally I would inadvertently twist the throttle when turning left but on long trips it was a pleasure.
    Anything that prevents the throttle from returning to idle (except cruise control) will never see use on my bike again.

Spyder Garage

Default TROTTLE ROCKER

When I traded our Wing in on the spyder, I removed the "Throttle Rocker" and I've used it now for 3 years and it seems to work out better on the Spyder due to it being a "throttle-by-wire" system. The resistance is much less compared to the Wing's cable system. Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Anything that prevents the throttle from returning to idle (except cruise control) will never see use on my bike again.
    We can agree to disagree but if it was preventing you to roll-off back to idle then it wasn't positioned correctly.
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid