Spyder Garage

Default what swaybar do I have? 2012 RT

hi
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me the how to tell the difference between a stock and aftermarket swaybar. Diameter possibly? reason; I purchased a used 2012 Rt last summer. The front suspension seems quite stiff and harsh compared to my previous machine, a 2012 RS. The RS would soak up potholes very well, but the RT does not. Harsh enough to really shake the console on rough roads. I have tried various suspension settings and tire pressures, but its still harsh. I'm thinking it may have a stiff aftermarket swaybar installed.

Spyder Garage

Check the bars diameter at any straight location. If a 5/8 open end wrench fits over it, you have the smaller OEM. If it does not, you have the thicker after market bar.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The swaybar affects body roll.
    "Soaking up potholes" depends on the springs/shocks.
    You may have upgraded shocks, probably Elkas.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The sway bar doesn't affect ride quality. If you have stock shocks, lighten up on the spring setting. If you have aftermarket shocks look at the valve settings and preload. The last owner may have weighed a lot more than you or liked to ride aggressively.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The sway bar doesn't affect ride quality. If you have stock shocks, lighten up on the spring setting. If you have aftermarket shocks look at the valve settings and preload. The last owner may have weighed a lot more than you or liked to ride aggressively.
    This advise is right on target. The sway bar does not make the ride stiff or harsh. It only flattens out the turns. You could take the sway bar off and you wouldn't notice any difference until you applied a lateral force of some kind to your Spyder.

This is most likely a shock/spring issue as suggested. Let us know what you find.

And have a GREAT Christmas!
    Nativity.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You can adjust the stock 2012 RT shock to about 5 different positions- I had mine on the hardest and Maybe yours is on the hardest setting. I Adjustment tool came with the RT and you cab adjust per the owners Manual.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

thanks for the advice everyone. Yes both machines have stock front shocks and springs, and I had tried setting springs from soft to hard and back again.
    What I am noticing is that the RT reacts very differently than the RS did, when only ONE front wheel hits a hole at highway speeds. Yes we have some bad roads around here.
    The RS would really soak it up without transferring much impact to the chassis, and you could see that the suspension on that side was working independently as it dropped into and came out of the hole. The RT suspension doesn't move much, with a lot of jolt transferred back to the chassis. Maybe thats the way they are, since they are heavier and set up for two up loaded riding. It definitely has less body roll than the RS did when riding two up.
    I'll do some investigating and see what I can find.
    thanks again

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Swaybar

Any news about your issue? What did you finally do?
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Any news about your issue? What did you finally do?

I measured the swaybar (stock 5/8 size) , checked part numbers on shocks and springs [all BRP original] , disconnected the swaybar, then removed the shocks and removed the springs, and checked for everything for binding / sticking/ worn/loose- everything is OK. I have the impression that the RT is just made with much heavier shock damping and spring rates than the RS.
    Last edited by Brap; 01-24-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

""I purchased a used 2012 Rt last summer. The front suspension seems quite stiff and harsh compared to my previous machine, a 2012 RS. The RS would soak up potholes very well, but the RT does not. Harsh enough to really shake the console on rough roads. I have tried various suspension settings and tire pressures, but its still harsh."Yes both machines have stock front shocks and springs, and I had tried setting springs from soft to hard and back again.
    What I am noticing is that the RT reacts very differently than the RS did, when only ONE front wheel hits a hole at highway speeds. Yes we have some bad roads around here.
    The RS would really soak it up without transferring much impact to the chassis, and you could see that the suspension on that side was working independently as it dropped into and came out of the hole. The RT suspension doesn't move much, with a lot of jolt transferred back to the chassis. Maybe thats the way they are, since they are heavier and set up for two up loaded riding. It definitely has less body roll than the RS did when riding two up.
    I'll do some investigating and see what I can find"
    " I measured the swaybar (stock 5/8 size) , checked part numbers on shocks and springs [all BRP original] , disconnected the swaybar, then removed the shocks and removed the springs, and checked for everything for binding / sticking/ worn/loose- everything is OK. I have the impression that the RT is just made with much heavier shock damping and spring rates than the RS."

If you have a 2012 Rt, and have the same harsh front suspension concerns I did, then you may be interested in my free, easy solution. I won't post it here, but you may PM me if interested.