Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    So that begs the question....any opinion on where to get the battery? I'm sure the dealer is expensive though I'm all for supporting the dealer as long as it's close in price. Do most folks just pull them and take it into the local auto or motorcycle shop?
    Yup. Any local auto parts / mc shop should be able to find a replacement. Just need to look up on a table which they have.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    So that begs the question....any opinion on where to get the battery? I'm sure the dealer is expensive though I'm all for supporting the dealer as long as it's close in price. Do most folks just pull them and take it into the local auto or motorcycle shop?
    I ordered one online, same as the OEM. Shop around, but I recommend the OEM Yuasa. Hard to beat value for the money. Interestingly, when I ordered mine it was from some powersports dealer in Florida I believe. The battery was shipped from some wholesaler from Boise, about 50 miles away!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default CHANGED TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    I change my batteries out every three years on my scoots and truck as I don't want to be caught in west Texas with bad battery, no cell service and little traffic. (or anywhere else) I plug in my charger in the cigarette outlet in trunk. Make sure you change the fuse on your RT if you plan to do this. Always charge a new battery 24 hours before installing. Dealers pay little attention to this and seldom sell a fully charged battery.

My 2014 bit the bullet last night, exactly 4 years old. I had purchased a replacement a month ago, so I replaced it this morning, not too bad of an install, just pull the main 40 amp fuse first.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    My 2014 bit the bullet last night, exactly 4 years old. I had purchased a replacement a month ago, so I replaced it this morning, not too bad of an install, just pull the main 40 amp fuse first.
    Why is pulling the main fuse necessary, doesn't seem any need to as we don't with other vehicles? Can anyone shed further light on this?
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Default Capacity of portable jump starter

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... I bought one on-line for $45.00 ( a different brand ,but the same technology ) ...... to have " Just in Case " .... Spyder owners are at the mercy of " whoever initially " charged the Battery. My 2014 RT was not done correctly , which I discovered on my way home from purchasing it in Ill..... It failed .... I had it tested ( at a dealer ) and was told it was OK, and NO warranty claim would be submitted..... ( I think it was BS ) .... I have been using batteries for 70 years, I know a WEAK battery from Good battery ..... The Lithium " jumpers " are reasonably priced ...... Your present battery might last another 3 years or more, they cost $ 125 to 150 ( Yuasa ) .....you do the Math ......... PS I haven't had to use the " jumper " yet ..... annnnnnnnnnnnd Merry Christmas ... Mike
    Mike,
    What do YOU think the "capacity" of the jumper unit should be for our use and comfort?
    To me 1000A (the one rugged unit mentioned initially) seems way more than we need - thus increasing the $$$ we need to spend.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1000A

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Mike,
    What do YOU think the "capacity" of the jumper unit should be for our use and comfort?
    To me 1000A (the one rugged unit mentioned initially) seems way more than we need - thus increasing the $$$ we need to spend.
    1000A ....I think you mean 1000mah ?..... I can't accurately answer your question, and giving an un-informed opinion .....wouldn't be fair ...... when I bought mine ( the jumper ) , I listened to comments others made based on THEIR experience...... What's interesting on this is , I bought the Lithium jumper pack because I wanted a back-up source in case My Battery failed .... I then stopped charging mine ( batt. maintainer ) so my OEM orig. battery might get down to a level where it might need a " jump " .....welllllllll, that hasn't happened YET surprise, surprise ......... I'm not going to put it on a maintainer this winter and see what happens ......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Just going by their ad on 1000A

1000A ....I think you mean 1000mah ?..... I can't accurately answer your question, and giving an un-informed opinion .....wouldn't be fair ...... when I bought mine ( the jumper ) , I listened to comments others made based on THEIR experience...... What's interesting on this is , I bought the Lithium jumper pack because I wanted a back-up source in case My Battery failed .... I then stopped charging mine ( batt. maintainer ) so my OEM orig. battery might get down to a level where it might need a " jump " .....welllllllll, that hasn't happened YET surprise, surprise ......... I'm not going to put it on a maintainer this winter and see what happens ......good luck .... Mike
    OK.......FYI - Just going by their (and Lamonster's ad). They say 1000A in pretty big letters. maybe I missed something there (?)

Spyder Garage

Default JUMPER POWER

OK.......FYI - Just going by their (and Lamonster's ad). They say 1000A in pretty big letters. maybe I missed something there (?)
    A vs. mah ...... If that's what really mattered to you about my answering post ( #31 ) to you to your question ........ well then I just won't try to ever assist you again .... now I'm sure you are actually Happy .... and that's why I comment, I love to make folks Happy .....so my mission is over ....., ....PS ... if the 1000A & " A " means amps ..... If you used a device that was producing a 1000 amps ....your Battery would EXPLODE
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-25-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm battery on our RTL 2013 still going strong. We have never had ours on a maintainer as we ryde almost every weekend all year long. Always ( knock on wood ) fires up first time with ZERO hesitation!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW - wasn't trying to be insulting at all................

A vs. mah ...... If that's what really mattered to you about my answering post ( #31 ) to you to your question ........ well then I just won't try to ever assist you again .... now I'm sure you are actually Happy .... and that's why I comment, I love to make folks Happy .....so my mission is over ....., ....PS ... if the 1000A & " A " means amps ..... If you used a device that was producing a 1000 amps ....your Battery would EXPLODE

GEEZ Mike...............I was only pointing out where I got the 1000amps from......I wasn't insulting your answer.

OK.....I will never ask for your help again on anything.......MAYBE that will make you happy

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Amps vs. milli- amps

The portable LiPo I have is 16,000 mAh. Or 16 Amps/hour. What ever charger your getting the current flow is also a function of TIME. Even 1 Amp DC is a lot of electrons per second. ( 6.02 X 10 to the 23 power )But the output of these is measured in Amps / hour.

Ever notice the size of the wires coming off the battery??? They are fused at about 40 Amps ( not Amps/hour ) There isn't a wire on the
    that can flow 1000 Amps at 12 volts DC.

Lew L

PS:my 2014 RTs is still on the original battery but I do check the connections once a year when is comes out of hibernation. It's on a float charger most of the time. Going dead ( or below about 9 volts ) will cause a battery to sulfate and start dying.

Last edited by Lew L; 01-25-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Replaced battery with a Stinger motorcycle battery. Had to make a modification to the holddown bracket, but all is good. I no longer have any yellow spyder symbols when I start my RTS.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default mAh

GEEZ Mike...............I was only pointing out where I got the 1000amps from......I wasn't insulting your answer.

OK.....I will never ask for your help again on anything.......MAYBE that will make you happy
    The tone of your reply pi**ed me off ....... especially the " FYI" in caps, it came off more of a rebuke than anything else to me ........You asked ME a question and I Gave you an Honest answer ....BTW, on this forum there are too many people who get nasty everytime I post something, because they have an AGENDA , sooooooooooooo if your intention wasn't snarky , let me know and everything will be good... the ball is in your court now ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-25-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tone of your reply pi**ed me off ....
    That's pretty funny coming from YOU.

You sure can dish it out; you should be able to TAKE a little too.

Spyder Garage

Default The ball is in my court

The tone of your reply pi**ed me off ....... especially the " FYI" in caps, it came off more of a rebuke than anything else to me ........You asked ME a question and I Gave you an Honest answer ....BTW, on this forum there are too many people who get nasty everytime I post something, because they have an AGENDA , sooooooooooooo if your intention wasn't snarky , let me know and everything will be good... the ball is in your court now ..... Mike
    OK......I forfeit the game to you. The award for winning this one isn't worth it. My team has left the field and a call-back won't be answered.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    I have a 2014 Rts bought new. Have less then 9k on it. When we are out riding we will be riding a hour or two. I have been noticing that when we do stop that when I go to restart the starter seams to load down a bit. Yes I do have Hid head and fog lamps with front fender lights, rear saddlebag markers and the led rear brake strips. Just wondering if I should be looking for a new battery.
    While serving in the US Army on Oahu I had a 57 Mercury with a 10 yr old battery before it died.. What no warranty. I agree with the others--If it ever fails to start or gets slow to turn engine over---replace the battery at a time convenient to you--or else it can get expensive & disrupting your life's adventures.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    Why is pulling the main fuse necessary, doesn't seem any need to as we don't with other vehicles? Can anyone shed further light on this?
    I am about to change the battery on my wife's 2013 tomorrow. No one answered the question about pulling the fuse first.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EDBLU View Post
    I am about to change the battery on my wife's 2013 tomorrow. No one answered the question about pulling the fuse first.
    Sorry; got distracted.

It is NOT necessary.

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable first; then re-connect it last.
    No need to mess with anything else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Sorry; got distracted.

It is NOT necessary.

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable first; then re-connect it last.
    No need to mess with anything else.
    Thanks
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Just last week replaced the battery on our 2015 RT-L.
    On starting the bike with the old battery, things were getting slower - a thirty month old battery !!
    I religiously kept the bike on a Deltran Tender when we weren't riding, as I have done on all the bikes we've owned. Never had to replace one so soon though :-(

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Never had to replace one so soon though :-(
    How old is your Deltran ? Ever checked the float voltage after the green light comes on ??

Your next battery likely will last much longer because........dealers neglect the batteries while on the showroom floor.
    This often decreases the useful life by half or more.

Make sure the new one if fully charged before the first ride.

When I was test riding, one dealer had two machines fail to start. They finally rolled one back to the shop for a new battery.

P.S. Except during times when the machine will not be ridden for more than a month at a time, you should NOT need to use the battery tender.
    But if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt anything either.
    One thing that it will do is almost guarantee that when the battery finally does fail, it will be out on the road somewhere.